By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - How something can come from nothing

The laws don't apply when there is nothing... seems illogical, or at best unfounded. I can't disprove it, but you're going on faith.

Around the Network

Well, first, you're starting with a narrow scope. In my research, most scientists have accepted that a multiverse is far more likely than a universe. I suppose I'm a bit of a pedant for that since it's just one level of abstraction higher, but important.

From the multiverse, it is theorized that when a black hole becomes too massive, a universe is formed from the opposite end - a white hole. It is my belief that this is "The Big Bang" which created our Universe.

As for the multiverse, I believe it always existed, there is no beginning, no end. Pure chaos, as our universe is.

happydolphin said:
The laws don't apply when there is nothing... seems illogical, or at best unfounded. I can't disprove it, but you're going on faith.

its not faith as I don't believe it. I just thought it was interesting.

It is hard to consider that even the first form of energy came out of no where. What created the basic forms before even the big bang (considering it did happen). There must be rules in place that do not apply to our current universe. A set of per-exsistant rules that set our would of mater and energy in place. Even then what created the catalyst for that? It is a never ending question one thing may create another but what created the very original source? In other words the very first thing ever, whether it be energy or gravity or whatever it was, how did it come to be.
If there is in fact no God, science must be able to explain it, as seemingly impossible that sounds.

Interesting thoughts, but not plausible. Nothing can come from nothingness and that is a fact, how the Universe and everything in it formed will be forever unknown and that is why I neither declare myself as religious or atheist because they both have their own ideologies and I don't believe in any conclusions mankind comes to regarding how the universe came into existence.

I wish there was a God who made it's existence known to us mortals just for the peace of mind, sometimes I envy religious people as ignorance is bliss (no offence religious people just sharing an opinion, you might even be right in the end!). With that said atheist who believe a big bang just happened out of nothingness and created the universe and everything in it is just as ignorant an opinion (again no offence intended).

I believe in nothing and don't care anymore. I know human curiosity will never be truly satiated until we have all the answers we desire to the questions we want answered but In the end I believe it's just not worth the time or stress contemplating how everything in existence came to be and if there is a life after death etc, we should just live our lives to the fullest in the short amount of time we're alive and be happy.

Around the Network

An interesting thought considering, hard to grasp, but plausible to an extent, because something had to come out of nothing to get the ball rolling, otherwise you would just have... nothing.

Some things we'll still be debating in 10.000 years, well if we don't destroy ourselves first anyway.

Soleron said:
Roma said:

I have already explained my view on that matter and why it is more logical that there is a creator rather than the universe deciding to create itself from nothing as in no dust no nothing at all.

What created the creator?

+@Jay

if every creation has a creator then it would go on for ever and we would not exist therefore God is no creation to begin with.

anything that is finite has a creation. God is infinite that means he has no creator. and by looking at how things are designed they fallow pattern and a pattern indicates intelligence. its like a human would create but way more advanced than anything a human would ever be able to understand no matter how far science goes.  

where does the soul/consciousness come from? is it particles?

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

Jay520 said:
As an atheist, this has been the seemingly biggest problem I've personally had with myself: the idea that something can come from nothing. It makes no sense at all. It goes against one of the basic laws of the universe. Things don't just pop up out of nowhere. But I recently watched a video (I can't find it now) that has convinced me that it's at least plausible for something to come from nothing, and I thought I would share it with you all. It would be interesting to hear the opinions of fellow VGCharters.

Okay, why can't he universe come from nothing? Most would say because of the fact that "something cannot come from nothing". This is one of the core laws about our universe. Now imagine nothingness; there are no objects, no people, planets, air, dust, etc. While that is true, there also aren't any abstract things. Laws, limits, rules, etc. do not exist in nothingness. If no laws exist in nothingness, then the law that "something cannot come from nothing" also doesn't exist. There are no laws governing nothingness that claim "something cannot come from nothing." Because no such laws exist, then something can come from nothing, in theory at least.

Now, I'm not using this as absolute proof that our universe did come from nothing. But I think this at least makes it plausible, which is more than what I and many others may have believed. I just thought this was interesting and was wondering what many of you guys think about it. With no laws to say otherwise, is plausible for something to come from nothing? I'm not asking you to accept this as true or to lose faith in a creator or anything. I just want to know if you think this is plausible, at least.

Also, is it theoretically possible for there to be nothing? Think about it; if there is nothing, then there are still facts - the fact that there is nothing; otherwise, something would exist. It's impossible for facts not to exist.. But a fact is something. So, if facts always exist as something, then is it possible for nothing to exist? But then again, a fact that "nothing exists' seems paradoxical, doesn't it? Whatever you believe in - God, the universe coming from nothing, multiverse, etc- I think its safe to say no theory seems to make 'sense', no matter which you believe. At least not to me.

What do you think about this?

You seem to froget that nothingness is exactly that - nothing. Zero. Emptiness. There's one law governing nothingness and that's its own definition (the very definition of nothingness) And the definition of something is always supported by facts. 

Nothing weighs something. There was never nothing to begin with.

Atto Suggests...:

Book - Malazan Book of the Fallen series 

Game - Metro Last Light

TV - Deadwood

Music - Forest Swords 

Roma said:
Soleron said:
Roma said:

I have already explained my view on that matter and why it is more logical that there is a creator rather than the universe deciding to create itself from nothing as in no dust no nothing at all.

What created the creator?

I'll answer both in this post +Ja

if every creation has a creator then it would go on for ever and we would not exist therefore God is no creation to begin with.

anything that is finite has a creation. God is infinite that means he has no creator. and by looking at how things are designed they fallow pattern and a pattern indicates intelligence. its like a human would create but way more advanced anything a human would ever be able to understand no matter how far science goes.  

where does the soul/consciousness come from? is it particles?

How is this universe perfect exactly? Because there is life? From what we know, the universe can only support life in an extremely minuscule segment. Also, from what we know, life has only existed for an extremely short amount of time. Imagine a plant that managed to grow out of a crack in the sidewalk and managed to live for only a few days. The sidewalk is not perfect for life; it was not designed for the plant. Rather, the plant adapted to the sidewalk. The same applies to life and the universe. Life sprouted in the tiny segment where it was possible. And from what we know, its only going to surivive for an extremely short amount of time.

I don't know where consciousness came from. I don't claim to, either. That doesn't support that God caused it.