By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Halo 4 vs Gran Turismo 5

Ji99saw said:
So a heavily bundled, multiple one re-release, two year head start game vs A game that just released last month. 

Seems legit

Fixed for accuracy.

Why people thinks the XL, Spec II and Academy Edition are different releases? There are the same with different names for each region... eg. you can't buy the Academy Edition or Spec II in US.

Around the Network
ethomaz said:
Ji99saw said:
So a heavily bundled, multiple one re-release, two year head start game vs A game that just released last month. 

Seems legit

Fixed for accuracy.

Why people thinks the XL, Spec II and Academy Edition are different releases? There are the same with different names for each region... eg. you can't buy the Academy Edition or Spec II in US.

Does it matter though? They still were re released with more content being compared to a game that won;t have a re release regardless of the starwman argument of every game has a GOTY which is not true.

Lets not forget outside of a limited edition run Halo 4 console it isn't bundled like GT 5 is.

I swear it seems like when people try to compare sales they always seem to forget important details when trying to compare them.

Izo said:
MB1025 said:
ethomaz said:

I can't get some points here...

There nothing different between the GT5 standard edition and XL, Spec II or Academy Edition... THEY ARE THE SAME GAME!!!

It's like Game of The Year Edition, Platinum Edition, etc... all games have these editions.

And for now GT5 have just one (yeap ONE) re-release (Spec II in Japan, XL in US and Academy Edition in EU).

PS. The re-release sold util Sep 2012 less than 600k units... the GT sales are more than 90% standard editions.

All games have those editions? I don't remeber Halo ever releasing a GOTY edition with all of it's map packs. Re releasing GOTY editions gives games a ton of legs because people buy them in 2 ways.

1. The people who didn't pick up the game between launch and the GOTY release can now go out and get the game 10-20 dolars cheaper with extra contant.

2. The people who already purchased the game and no DLC can now just go out and usaully get all the bundled DLC in the GOTY for cheaper than buying the individual DLC's.

I don't know how you can say a GOTY edition is the same exact game as the regular version. Their is more content in one over the other.

So here we have one game in Halo 4 that will not get a GOTY type re release going against GT5that has them.

Also where are you getting the numbers for XL, Spec II and Academy Edition sales?

No matter what you say it is still the same game just with more content. Adding dlc and patches to a game doesn't change it into another game. This flipping of these versions to try to make GT5 seem like it has an unfair advantage over Halo is just not true.

On the surface it is the same game of course. However like I explained people buy GOTY editions 2 ways and it gives the game extra legs. Right now there is about 600,000 copies of the GOTY editions sold for GTA. As time goes by people who wouldn't have picked it up with now be more inclined to because it has all the content in it and people who don't have the DLC, but the original game will just get another copy.

I would bet my house tht if Microsoft released a GOTY edition for Halo next year with everything bundled in those people who don't have the game will get it or those who have the game with now map packs will go out and buy them.

MB1025 said:

Does it matter though? They still were re released with more content being compared to a game that won;t have a re release regardless of the starwman argument of every game has a GOTY which is not true.

Lets not forget outside of a limited edition run Halo 4 console it isn't bundled like GT 5 is.

I swear it seems like when people try to compare sales they always seem to forget important details when trying to compare them.

Well I said a Halo 4 re release for 720 can be counted too...

I just don't like false afirmations... GT5 (I don't know why) is not heavily bundled, in fact I want to see Sony to push bundle in BF/holidays every year to see 200k+ sales per week but for unknown reason Sony is not doing that... and the game not have multiples re releases... it have one and I expect another with Spec III in the future (patch v3.xx).

The game is the same and have just one re release... I have the original GT5 release and the game is identical what you buy in the re release edition... I have all DLCs too even the ones not comming with the re release.

GT5 with heavly bundles just in the end of this year should have over 1 million sales in the last quarter of the year or over 2 million sales for the full year... I want that.

MB1025 said:
Izo said:
MB1025 said:
ethomaz said:

I can't get some points here...

There nothing different between the GT5 standard edition and XL, Spec II or Academy Edition... THEY ARE THE SAME GAME!!!

It's like Game of The Year Edition, Platinum Edition, etc... all games have these editions.

And for now GT5 have just one (yeap ONE) re-release (Spec II in Japan, XL in US and Academy Edition in EU).

PS. The re-release sold util Sep 2012 less than 600k units... the GT sales are more than 90% standard editions.

All games have those editions? I don't remeber Halo ever releasing a GOTY edition with all of it's map packs. Re releasing GOTY editions gives games a ton of legs because people buy them in 2 ways.

1. The people who didn't pick up the game between launch and the GOTY release can now go out and get the game 10-20 dolars cheaper with extra contant.

2. The people who already purchased the game and no DLC can now just go out and usaully get all the bundled DLC in the GOTY for cheaper than buying the individual DLC's.

I don't know how you can say a GOTY edition is the same exact game as the regular version. Their is more content in one over the other.

So here we have one game in Halo 4 that will not get a GOTY type re release going against GT5that has them.

Also where are you getting the numbers for XL, Spec II and Academy Edition sales?

No matter what you say it is still the same game just with more content. Adding dlc and patches to a game doesn't change it into another game. This flipping of these versions to try to make GT5 seem like it has an unfair advantage over Halo is just not true.

On the surface it is the same game of course. However like I explained people buy GOTY editions 2 ways and it gives the game extra legs. Right now there is about 600,000 copies of the GOTY editions sold for GTA. As time goes by people who wouldn't have picked it up with now be more inclined to because it has all the content in it and people who don't have the DLC, but the original game will just get another copy.

I would bet my house tht if Microsoft released a GOTY edition for Halo next year with everything bundled in those people who don't have the game will get it or those who have the game with now map packs will go out and buy them.

If Microsoft released the same exact game with more content and people bought it why shouldn't it count towards the same game? GT5 has legs and just because PD decides to release a version with more content (that you can get as dlc) for a cheaper price doesn't make it a neo-GT5 that should be counted as a seperate entity.

Around the Network

Halo 4 it's a much more popular series. GT doesnt compare.

It's certainly possible that Halo 4 passes GT5 in 2013. But probably not as certain as the current numbers would imply and it has to do with now games sell on the 360 vs. PS3.

360 games tend to sell very well, very quickly whereas PS3 games tend to start slower but have better legs. Now, both Halo 3 and Halo reach have sold better than GT5 (even aligned) so Halo 4 doing the same wouldn't surprise me.

FPS have a bigger market than racing games as well.

Normando said:
It's certainly possible that Halo 4 passes GT5 in 2013. But probably not as certain as the current numbers would imply and it has to do with now games sell on the 360 vs. PS3.

360 games tend to sell very well, very quickly whereas PS3 games tend to start slower but have better legs. Now, both Halo 3 and Halo reach have sold better than GT5 (even aligned) so Halo 4 doing the same wouldn't surprise me.

FPS have a bigger market than racing games as well.

I can bet with you GT5 will sell more than Reach and Halo 4 (this case because the end of this generation) but I agree the Halo 3 is to be the best selling between them.

Jay520 said:
sales2099 said:
Jay520 said:
sales2099 said:
ethomaz said:
sales2099 said:
Now.......hypothetically, if MS rereleased Halo 4 for the next Xbox with next gen graphics, all Spartan Ops and map DLC preinstalled on-disc (which would be awesome!), would we count those sales as well? Id think so.

Can the GT6: Prologue sales be counted too? That's the same thing.

Well no since......the title has ......a 6. And this is a.......GT "5" vs Halo 4 comparison.

I went to preschool. I know my numbers. I am fairly certain 5 and 6 are different numbers :)

Then we should also count GT5: Prologue numbers as well.

Ah but same issue. Thread title says GT5 vs Halo 4. Halo 4 for the next Xbox wouldnt change its title. Also the game is the same content fo the 360 version. The word "prologue" provides a title change to simply GT5. Also the content is but a fraction of the full game. Two different things.

By that same token, Halo 4 wouldn't have the same content as Halo 4 (Next gen edition). It would have next gen graphics, all Spartan Ops and map DLC preinstalled on-disc, etc.

All that can be assessable from the 360 game though. The Prologue can never match the content of GT5. And again, the title difference.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

It's like releasing the HD versions of Ico and SoTC. Same games.