By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony's Portable Console Dying Ugly in Japan

VGKing said:

What's an NGP?

What the Vita was called when I made predictions about it.

I LOVE ICELAND!

Around the Network

Ya love the sony is doomed people . I never scene a site allow this much bashing of one company. The hater's are like vulture's ready to eat sony's carcass. It's pretty ridiculous one thing about sony fans we do not go out of our way to put up threads that bash the competition in record numbers.

Xxain said:
Well when Japan gets what they want sells increase. Hatsune Miku pushed Vita to above 50k, its first victory over 3DS. Assassins Creed is not what they want.

Vita > non-XL 3DS.

Overall: 3DS > Vita that week.

Yeah, I remember that article with the weird title. It made it look like Vita > 3DS.

Sony's got nothing on the number of "Nintendo is d0med!" stories and articles dating all the way back to the early 16-bit days. I disagree about the bit that says PS3 is aging badly... if anything the last 2 years or so have been the PS3's best, and the fact that it's doing so well this late in the generation is a surprise considering how it started off and looked like it was going to be left for dead back in '06-'07 when Sony was losing serious ground to Microsoft and the Wii was dominating sales headlines.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

I love my PS3 but you have to admit the Vita is pretty much dead.  I'm not sure they can make it turn around.  Sony should just cut their losses and discontinue it.

Around the Network
gunslinger said:

I love my PS3 but you have to admit the Vita is pretty much dead.  I'm not sure they can make it turn around.  Sony should just cut their losses and discontinue it.

Why shoud they cut their losses? All they need to do is drop the price, and maybe release a heavy-hitter. It's still to early to kill the Vita off. 

KylieDog said:
Soleron said:

Why is there a need for a new "generation" all the time? Sales are dying for the older consoles due to lack of games people want, not because it is somehow "time" for a refresh.

The 'lack of games people want' are usually when a hardware has been exhausted and pushed to its limits, at that point you just get variations of the same games with the same levels of visuals, where as new more powerful hardware can give devs more creative freedom to make fresh and new games, or games with new and improved features, or just better looking games that feel fresher due to a new look.

As to Vita...is the price, like was the problem for 3DS until price cut.

I truly don't believe in this, because I don't believe the level of visuals make people buy games. Look at the highest selling games of all time: none of them are pushing their system or their generation.

Once we had good-enough graphics (which as I said was 10 years ago for 3D and 20 years ago for 2D), it just isn't a factor.

I also don't believe in creative freedom. The top selling games have barely anything new creative-wise, they're more just solid entries in some ongoing genre. The part where they stand out is doing some job consumers want them to do really well. That takes craftsmanship and following a checklist, not creativity.

The price cut did not save 3DS alone and it cannot save Vita. 3D Land and Mario Kart were essential to the 3DS' recovery.

Why is Sony so against actually making a Mario game and putting it on the damn Vita? Super Mario World had a very small staff, just replicate that.

gunslinger said:

Discontinuing it now would be a really bad idea. Now that the development costs start falling, more software is available, the installed base is biggest (3.3M)... No way.

People think too short term specially for Sony consoles who enjoy very long life cycles. Give it more time, if the Vita keeps getting good games, it will eventually take off, even if late - like late year 2 or year 3.

WindyCityHeat said:
The MAJOR correction needed was the description of playstation "aging badly." What.sales figures have ypu been watching lol....

Vita is just the nail in dedicated quality handheld's coffin. 3ds isn't quality, its rubbish much like andoid/iphone...it's the truth lol, no offense to the fanboys. Sony has been the only company to provide quality handhelds, and it seems people just want cheap and easy.

It's like this looming deathclock for vita, if they actually turn it around it will be a miracle lol.

Eh, no. Just no. The 3DS has quality, console like games. One of the Vita's problems is that Sony doesn't have many true "Vita only" games. Most of the Vita's games are watered down versions of PS3/36- games. Seeing as the PSP had the EXACT SAME problem, I thought Sony would try to "portablize" the Vita. Unfortunately they didn't, and look at it now. It's time Sony set the Vita apart from the consoles. 

I know Sony is not doing well right now, but WHY THE HELL people need to make 345999 articles about it?

We already know, so they need to stop writing the "Sony is dying" articles, and let them do their job. Journalists need to stop spreading doom and fear.