By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How will Sony fans react if PS4 is not the most powerful Next Gen console?

What will Sony fans think?

Not care about the graphi... 221 45.10%

Be dissapointed 173 35.31%

switch to the most powerful system 95 19.39%

Total:489
flagstaad said:
enditall727 said:

Interesting post

I can definitely settle with Samaritan demo graphics :)

Then you might be dissapointed. The jump between Xbox and Xbox 360 was around 10x, a similar one is required between the Xbox 360 and the XboxNext to run the Samaritan demo. But to make the 10x jump between Xbox and Xbox360, Microsoft sold the console at 400 dollars at a loss.

Now lets suppose you also need the 10x jump from PS3 to PS4, they will need to sell the console at 400 dollars at a loss and with many hardware issues that cost the company even more money, given the current Sony financial situation they will not do it, so the options are selling it at a higher price (something that already backfired for Sony with the PS3) or not making a 10x jump and go for a 6x-8x jump and that would not be enough to achieve the Samaritan Demo level of graphics.

Is too early to tell but I think this is a realistic posibility. On the long run it could be better for Sony to have a console more similar to the Wii U than to the XboxNext as the development cost will not be so high and they could share the developments process, leaving Microsoft in a hard position were only a few developers coul spend the extra cash to create better assets for their console.

yes that is the reason i think sony need to launch a console similar in raw power to the  wiiU because the main port systems are going to be the cheapest to developed games and the two that are more similar in power, leaving MS in a hard situation.

34 years playing games.

Around the Network

I think Sony has proven every generation that regardless of whether they have the best graphics or not that they'll be known for their great exclusives. Next generation only Nintendo will have the worst graphics, but I doubt Nintendo will let their fanatics down in the games department.

BlueFalcon said:
novasonic said:

Actually, the PS2 was stronger than the Dreamcast. The PS1 was more powerful than the Amiga CD32, 3DO, and Atari Jaguar.

PS1's main competitor was N64 not the consoles you listed. N64 was much more powerful graphically and even had an expansion pack that allowed it to have higher resolution in certain games - well beyond PS1's graphical capability of the time. PS2's main competitors were Xbox 1 and Gamecube, not Dreamcast (which was discontinued just a year later afer PS2's release). Both Gamecube and Xbox 1 were more powerful than PS2 was.

Also, while the overall processing power of PS3 is arguably superior to Xbox 360 once all the CPU units are utilized effectively, the actual graphics card in PS3 is inferior to Xbox 360 not only in performance but in technology. Xbox 360, despite being a 1 year older console, uses a unified shader graphics architecture (which is the industry standard today), while PS3 uses a fixed pixel/vertex shader pipeline design of the past. That means even this generation PS3 wasn't the hands down graphical power house either, as most cross-platform games run and look better on Xbox 360. Without very serious code optimizations, i.e., offloading certain effects to the Cell, PS3 is actually a less powerful console than 360 is graphically.

Yes, the N64 was the PS1's MAIN competition, but all those other consoles were also part of the 32/64bit generation. They were compitition to some degree. As far as 32bit consoles go, the PS1 was actually the second in line behind the Sega Saturn. The Sega Saturn was hard to develope for though, and a lot of PS1 games ended up looking better than Saturn games. With the Saturns expansion pack installed and a good developement team, the Saturn was actually capable of 60fps 640x480 just like the N64 could do.

Amiga CD32, Atari Jaguar, and the various 3DOs were all 32bit consoles in dirrect compitition with Sony, Sega, and Nintendo. A handfull of the multiplatform games from the generation made it onto these platforms at some point. Off the top of my head, Alone in the Dark and Star Command were available on the 3DO.

The Dreamcast was a part of the 6th generation. I think a better argument would be to say the first two Playstations weren't the strongest of their generation. Saying they're the weekest just is not true.

Edited for spelling mistakes. Also there was one more 32bit console, but I can't think of it off hand.

8th gen predictions. (made early 2014)
PS4: 60-65m
WiiU: 30-35m
X1: 30-35m
3DS: 80-85m
PSV: 15-20m

BenVTrigger said:
Personally I think both next gen MS and Sony consoles will be close to power. I got the idea however after seeing some Sony fans attacking Wii U for being "underpowered".

Its just in general some Sony fans seem to be caring more and more about graphics now days.

Power is about more than just graphics. It affects everything from multi-tasking, loading times, 3rd party support, AI, Physics..etc...etc.

So PS4 will need more than just a good GPU, it would need a good CPU and fast RAM. Wii U is missing the last two.

UncleScrooge said:
I would actually prefer them to release a moderately powerful console instead of a powerful beast. Sony is not in the position to pump out a huge machine - Microsoft can afford to lose money, Sony can't. Then there's the strong Yen...

From my personal perspective I'd want a cheaper PS4 as well. I won't spend more than €300 just on the hardware. I bought my PS3 for €250 and it was totally worth it. But this time I already own a Blu-Ray player and it never feels good to spend huge money on gaming hardware. Make it less expensive and less powerful and it will sell better and get more games.

They will both lose money on the consoles. They will make that money back on subscription services like Playstation Plus and Xbox Live, plus accessories and games.

Around the Network
VGKing said:
BenVTrigger said:
Personally I think both next gen MS and Sony consoles will be close to power. I got the idea however after seeing some Sony fans attacking Wii U for being "underpowered".

Its just in general some Sony fans seem to be caring more and more about graphics now days.

Power is about more than just graphics. It affects everything from multi-tasking, loading times, 3rd party support, AI, Physics..etc...etc.

So PS4 will need more than just a good GPU, it would need a good CPU and fast RAM. Wii U is missing the last two.

I'd really hate to bring this up but, if it's using the AMD APU, the CPU won't be on the strong side either, but it doesn't take much to build a good multi-tasking CPU these days since the tech has evolved so a strong CPU is becoming more and more irelevant for gaming as GPUs continue to advance and get better at things the CPU is just not as good for. RAM use is also in the eyes of the beholder and is based on bottlenecks in a system. I've also said this in another thread reccently, but in reality, it's not Nintendo catching up to MS or Sony, but rather how MS and Sony can catch to Nintendo on a gaming console business front since Nintendo already bagged 7th gen and is still making a ton of money off their handhelds.

VGKing said:
UncleScrooge said:
I would actually prefer them to release a moderately powerful console instead of a powerful beast. Sony is not in the position to pump out a huge machine - Microsoft can afford to lose money, Sony can't. Then there's the strong Yen...

From my personal perspective I'd want a cheaper PS4 as well. I won't spend more than €300 just on the hardware. I bought my PS3 for €250 and it was totally worth it. But this time I already own a Blu-Ray player and it never feels good to spend huge money on gaming hardware. Make it less expensive and less powerful and it will sell better and get more games.

They will both lose money on the consoles. They will make that money back on subscription services like Playstation Plus and Xbox Live, plus accessories and games.

No, it's not that easy. Sony is not in the position to lose billions of dollars right now. Microsoft can subsidize the next Xbox by a billion dollars a year if they want - they have the money, they are a very profitable company. Sony on the other hand is deep in the red, got its credit rating cut - where will they get that money from? They can't "make that money back" later if they don't have it in the first place and they'll have a hard time getting credits of this size at a small interest rate - and needs to downsize. The Sony of 2006 could afford that, the Sony of 2012 can't. 

The Yen isn't helping either. Basically a strong Yen means if both Sony and Microsoft manufactured the exact same console right now Sony's bottom line would look a lot worse. If both consoles are equally powerful expect the PS3 to be more expensive - or to sell for the same price with Sony losing more money.

Do I like that? Hell no. I'm not exactly a fan of Microsft as a console maker because they can outspend other companies because of their sheer size. (I like their console as a gamer though) That's what happened to Nintendo during the Gamecube era - direct competition is all about resources, Nintendo had no chance to succeed going against Sony and Microsoft. Hence the Wii which is a disruptive product - it was made to avoid direct competition. If Sony wants to succeed in the future they'll need to avoid a head-to-head race with Microsoft. Instead they should focus on their assets - their exclusive games, their "retro" titles, stuff like SingStar and Buzz, use the plethora of game developers under their hood to produce high quality games with mass market appeal instead of having too many high budget releases. They'll need to find a new balance.

Not too long ago Sony was the driving force in the home console market not because of hardcore gamers or high-end hardware but mass market appeal and games that appealed to the average customer. A $300 PS4 with good-looking but not uber-expensive games is going to sell. A $500 PS4 with cutting-edge graphics and games with huge budgets... not. If Sony wants to get out this mess it needs to innovate its way out of it and not indulge in a useless head-to-head race with Microsoft. In an arms race the bigger not the better company wins. Instead of asking "what would make another PS3 sell?" (lose more money! Buy exclusives! Launch first!) Sony should ask themselves "what made the PS1 and PS2 such big hits?" The low sales and huge losses of the PS3 and 360 in their first years on the market were due to overshooting - the consoles being too fast, too expensive and too feature-heavy for the average customer. Customers wanted less. The answer to this can't be more overshooting in the next generation.

That was a pretty long reply, sorry for that. But I hope you understand I don't want Sony to fail, I want the to suceed. I'd just propose a different solution than most people on gaming forums, that's all. 

tagged

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

My reaction:

Well if that would be the case then i would cry bloody tears, bash in every nintendo and microsoft forum to downplay the rival console to bring the ps4 in a better light and in some dark rooms where no one can see me i would play the Xbox next.Than i can write bad reviews to all the x box games on amazon and the fanboy in me would be happy.

Just simple isnt it.