By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Am I a jerk? I got a WiiU Deluxe on accident...

Khuutra said:
twesterm said:

After thinking about it, I hereby decree I'm not a complete jerk but also not a complete good person.

For the person I inconvenienced, yeah, sucks to be them but they will get their Deluxe set the next time Gamestop gets a shipment. I see it as the same kind of inconvenience when someone rear ends you and you have to deal with the insurance. Sucks for them but they'll be made whole by the person who inconvenienced them-- Gamestop.

I don't really feel bad about taking of the clerks stupidity, in fact, I don't even know how they'll trace it to that specific transaction so he'll probably get off without anything. In the end, it will probably be the manager that gets in hot water and the manager probably deserves it for hiring people that can't tell the difference between the two bundles.

-edit-

And I haven't really had a chance to mess with it much yet besides just getting everything set up.  The only thing I can say about it so far is that switching back to the main menu is incredibly slow (like 20-30 seconds).

You assumed responsibility the moment you admitted you knew it was happening and then you let it happen. Gamestop certainly shares some part in this, but so do you, and your party is larger because you could have stopped it at any time and chose not to.

I could ask someone if you actually bear any ethical or legal responsibility for this, but morally, yes, this is on you more than anyone else. When that person doesn't get the product they ordered, that's on you.

And they'll trace it to that transaction by examining the serial number of the consoles sold versus the recorded serial numbers of their inventory. Standard practice.

Even if they did track it, they will not pursue it further as it's their own fault for providing the wrong goods not the customers.  I'm sorry but even if he didn't bring it to the assistants attention it is still not Twestern's fault, he hasn't received goods by deception, it was complete incompetence and the company should take both the blame and the cost for that mistake.  

I wouldn't feel in the least bit guilty morally or legally, you did nothing wrong.

Around the Network
Khuutra said:
twesterm said:

After thinking about it, I hereby decree I'm not a complete jerk but also not a complete good person.

For the person I inconvenienced, yeah, sucks to be them but they will get their Deluxe set the next time Gamestop gets a shipment. I see it as the same kind of inconvenience when someone rear ends you and you have to deal with the insurance. Sucks for them but they'll be made whole by the person who inconvenienced them-- Gamestop.

I don't really feel bad about taking of the clerks stupidity, in fact, I don't even know how they'll trace it to that specific transaction so he'll probably get off without anything. In the end, it will probably be the manager that gets in hot water and the manager probably deserves it for hiring people that can't tell the difference between the two bundles.

-edit-

And I haven't really had a chance to mess with it much yet besides just getting everything set up.  The only thing I can say about it so far is that switching back to the main menu is incredibly slow (like 20-30 seconds).

You assumed responsibility the moment you admitted you knew it was happening and then you let it happen. Gamestop certainly shares some part in this, but so do you, and your party is larger because you could have stopped it at any time and chose not to.

I could ask someone if you actually bear any ethical or legal responsibility for this, but morally, yes, this is on you more than anyone else. When that person doesn't get the product they ordered, that's on you.

And they'll trace it to that transaction by examining the serial number of the consoles sold versus the recorded serial numbers of their inventory. Standard practice.

Meh, even if they see that I was the one who got the wrong Wii U, I was just the stupid customer who relied on the clerks expertise.  For all I knew, I got mixed up or maybe they had a free upgrade program for being such a loyal customer.  Not the most ethical thing, but the moment he verified I was walking out with the right thing, that was really on him.

Perhaps I'll donate more to Child's Play this year to offset some of the bad karma.  I don't really feel bad for Gamestop, still sucks for the person I made wait a few more days for their Deluxe.

twesterm said:

Meh, even if they see that I was the one who got the wrong Wii U, I was just the stupid customer who relied on the clerks expertise.  For all I knew, I got mixed up or maybe they had a free upgrade program for being such a loyal customer.  Not the most ethical thing, but the moment he verified I was walking out with the right thing, that was really on him.

Perhaps I'll donate more to Child's Play this year to offset some of the bad karma.  I don't really feel bad for Gamestop, still sucks for the person I made wait a few more days for their Deluxe.

"For all you knew"? That phrase means you didn't know; you actually did. Certainly the company can't blame you for it, and nobody will ultimately hold you responsible for it because you refuse to assume responsibility for your own conduct. You knew. You knew. So the whole of the action is on you.

There is no such thing as "karma". There is ethical action and unethical action, and the latter cannot be absolved by the former unless it actively corrects it.

But you're not going to, I don't think.

The question is if the extra internal storage and Nintendoland was worth its consequences, like all the thinking and this thread. It looks like it wasn't.

I don't think it can be undone now, but now you know if something similar happens again.

People take advantage of you every day, its about time you took something back.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

Around the Network
Player2 said:

The question is if the extra internal storage and Nintendoland was worth its consequences, like all the thinking and this thread. It looks like it wasn't.

I don't think it can be undone now, but now you know if something similar happens again.

Well certainly he could undo it, relatively easily

Khuutra said:
Player2 said:

Do you think the store will accept it? He has updated the system, and probably created his profile.

Khuutra said:
Player2 said:

I don't know, now two things have happened that would make it not so easy to undo--

1) I've tied my Nintendo Network ID to that WiiU.  I'm sure it can be transferred somehow, but I don't know if that's easy.  Still though, that's my fault and not really the worry of Gamestop.

2) That Wii U is now used.  If I were to right the wrong and return the Wii U then they would have a used Wii U on their hands.  The person who preordered that Deluxe and didn't get a Deluxe still wouldn't be made whole by Gamestop since they're expecting a new Wii U.  

It's not an impossible thing to undo and it's not my choice if the other person wants a used one or not, but it's not easy anymore (though it not being easy now is completely my fault, which I'm fine with  ).

Serious Doucheonmandick move. That was someone else's by what you said. Imagine if it happened to you, that is all you have to do and then you'll know. If you can sleep at night knowing you are using an employee's honest mistake as a way to cover up your own greed, then by all means keep it. I would be pissed if my special edition of Uncharted 3 (the only "special" release I have ever bought) had been given out by someone's fault and another's dishonesty.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

No your are not morally or legally wrong, the onus falls on the retailer. Something similar happened to me but when selling. I sold my Ipod touch 3rd Gen to cex http://uk.webuy.com/ but when trying to input the serial code from the back, they couldn't as it was too scratched. So they hooked it up to check the sytem info, and the guy gave me the selling receipt for a 4th Gen ipod touch! I got an extra £50. Although I didn't even try to tell them, so maybe I was wrong.

PSP Lifetime more than PSV+3DS Lifetime.