By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Who got a WiiU? First impressions? EU LAUNCH TIME!

Did you get a WiiU today?

Yes, I love it! 273 33.58%

Yes, I sold it! 13 1.60%

Yes, I regret it! 27 3.32%

No, no stock! 50 6.15%

No, waiting for games/price reduction! 95 11.69%

No, not interested! 113 13.90%

Results! 238 29.27%

Total:809
Conegamer said:
siavm said:
I like it so far. Got mine yesterday. So I have had a lot of time to use it. You will be looking at the controller a lot. Much of the wii u's menu will be on it and not the tv. So times it is on both, other times the main stuff is on the gamepad. And be ready for the day one update. It took me over a hour and a half to download but with out it you can only mess around with settings and play wii u games.

I have one game so far. I got the deluxe so it came with Nintendo Land. It is better than you would think. Most of the games I played used the controller well. And they are fun little games. I have not played them all but the ones I played were good especially the donkey one.

As as I updated I did the wii transfer. You have to download it to bothe the wii u and wii. It took a little while but the have a nice pikmin load screen we you wait. I was able to transfer all over expect the first lostwind. I luckily got it free on ipad so that did not hurt for me. The games look the same as wii so don't expect a bump in graphics.

And the eshop looks ok. It is full of games, indie games, trailers, and screenshots. No demos yet. I have not bought any thing yet but I will later today.

So far so good to me. When some of my games get shipped to me later this week I will have a little better picture. But so far nintendo just may have something good here.

Sounds good! NintendoLand looked intriguing, and I've been more pumped for it lately (aside from that Octopus Dance...). But I thought demos were there Day 1? Isn't Reayman Legends supposed to be there?

And how is Miiverse? It seems pretty strict ATM.

I searched but it was not there. It might come later today.

Around the Network

No, waiting for games/price reduction!

Paul said:
One other thing while the update downloads, it's about 80% there now,I was unable to set up the gamepad as TV remote thing, It goes through 26 different attempts based on putting in Samsung as the make and not one of them worked, the TV is only 2 years old so I found that weird. I also couldn't connect to my scientific atlanta cable box but that thing is probably close to ten years old so I wasn't suprised, I will be updating that pretty soon.

I am pretty sure that's because tvii will only be available in december. Not sure if that's not it tough.

Predictions for LT console sales:

PS4: 120M

XB1: 70M

WiiU: 14M

3DS: 60M

Vita: 13M

Gamepad: Browsing the internet is like any other full service phone or tablet. Sites like this one work fine. Gamepad is light so I can see long sessions with the pad but the real estate is sees lacking to tablets bigger (obvious)

Miiverse: Nintendo flags you (might not be the right term) for games you do not have but try to comment on. Make you distinct from the others who do have the game.

mootap said:
siavm said:
I like it so far. Got mine yesterday. So I have had a lot of time to use it. You will be looking at the controller a lot. Much of the wii u's menu will be on it and not the tv. So times it is on both, other times the main stuff is on the gamepad. And be ready for the day one update. It took me over a hour and a half to download but with out it you can only mess around with settings and play wii u games.

I have one game so far. I got the deluxe so it came with Nintendo Land. It is better than you would think. Most of the games I played used the controller well. And they are fun little games. I have not played them all but the ones I played were good especially the donkey one.

As as I updated I did the wii transfer. You have to download it to bothe the wii u and wii. It took a little while but the have a nice pikmin load screen we you wait. I was able to transfer all over expect the first lostwind. I luckily got it free on ipad so that did not hurt for me. The games look the same as wii so don't expect a bump in graphics.

And the eshop looks ok. It is full of games, indie games, trailers, and screenshots. No demos yet. I have not bought any thing yet but I will later today.

So far so good to me. When some of my games get shipped to me later this week I will have a little better picture. But so far nintendo just may have something good here.

Can you give impressions on the browser,that's the main thing I am looking forward to until I wait for game prices to drop.

The browser is good. It can not do flash but still can play YouTube vids. It loads pages about as fast as my computer browser. It can not load certain parts of some sites I go to but it is good for basic browsing and some other non flash things. I have only used it a little so I can not tell you what sites will completely work. But ign worked, and that includes its videos.

Around the Network

When can we expect someone to rip one up and give us the specs?!

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Wii U: Load time between different applications can be unforgiving something people will have to get used to

Paul said:
kanageddaamen said:
Conegamer said:
Paul said:
One other thing while the update downloads, it's about 80% there now,I was unable to set up the gamepad as TV remote thing, It goes through 26 different attempts based on putting in Samsung as the make and not one of them worked, the TV is only 2 years old so I found that weird. I also couldn't connect to my scientific atlanta cable box but that thing is probably close to ten years old so I wasn't suprised, I will be updating that pretty soon.

This is the first I've heard of this problem...everyone else I've seen has said it's worked nicely and easily...

Mine was easy:  
Step 1.)  Enter Make: Sharp
Step 2.) Worked

I could never get my universal remote to control the TV volume either. I must just be special.

probably not that special.  universal remotes, in my experience, have always been quite hit or miss.  my roommate back in college went through 4 models trying to find one that worked with his setup. i think it's just a hard problem to solve to support all the various manufacturers and models.  there are just so many and no standardization.

It finally updated, I stuck in Blops 2 and now it needs to update :( screw this HD gaming crap with all the updates and downloads, I'm going to plug my wii back in.

I'm not hardcore enough for this.

Train wreck said:
Wii U: Load time between different applications can be unforgiving something people will have to get used to

Yes I've heard this, dunno why...hopefully updates will fix this!

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.