By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Who got a WiiU? First impressions? EU LAUNCH TIME!

Did you get a WiiU today?

Yes, I love it! 273 33.58%

Yes, I sold it! 13 1.60%

Yes, I regret it! 27 3.32%

No, no stock! 50 6.15%

No, waiting for games/price reduction! 95 11.69%

No, not interested! 113 13.90%

Results! 238 29.27%

Total:809

Ok got my WiiU Delux in Australia.

Update only took me 1 hour, YAY!!!

Got my sceen protector on like a pro. First go and no air bubbles or shit underneath YAY!!

MIiverse is interesting

Issue with sides being cut of left and right on tv (via HDMI). This is due to the fact my tv is an old model and overscans (i.e. there is LCD behind the plastic frame). I hope Nintendo releases a system update to allow the resize. Overlay can be resized in MiiVerse and eshop though, so I don't see why a over all system resize can't be implemented.

Played FIFA 2012 demo (1.2gb download), game is alright I guess (just like any other soccer game lol). Need to work out all the controls. Some of the gamepad feature are a nice to have but not essential, just convenience.

Played COD on tv and pad, both pretty sweet. No wifi issues but I do live in an apartment.

Campaign
- Done two missions so far.
- Pretty good.
- A few frame drop issue.
- Gfx look ok to me, but my vision isn't that great these days.

Multiplayer.
- No frame rate issues.
- Seed was ok, as I did not appear to lag much. however did drop out of the server a couple times.
- Struggled to find enough people to play free for all mode. Joined team death match. I am so going blind haha as I couldn't tell who was the enemy,
- Played it on my gamepad before I realised you can speed up turning. I felt like a noob as I so got use to wii remote and nunchuck.
- I may try it with the pro controller (once I get one) and try to remap running (if possible). Hate pressing down the stick to run. In fact I have always hated the L3 and R3 controls on Playstation, especially in GTAIV.

Other games I got, yet to play:
Nintendoland
ZombieU

Around the Network

I gotz mine. Im not liking nintendoland- very shallow. Just waiting for the rest of my preorders to come in. Hope NSMBU ans zombiu delivers

Bet with ninjablade:

Ninjablade wins if the next 5 multiplat on the wii u are inferior to the 360 version.

I win if one of the 5 mulitplats are on par or superior on the Wii U.

Got Tekken, playing it on the Gamepad is awesome, very solid grafix, the pad works perfec
also got ZombiU, too bad it cant be played on the gamepad alone, it has pretty good grafix actually, but havent really started playing it

cusman said:

pezus said:
NA gamers will act as beta testers for Europeans and the Japanese so there is something positive about getting it late at least. Plus, you will know which games are must buys and which not.

Must buy if you have family or friends that you will play with

Nintendo Land
New Super Mario Bros U

Must buy if you like a challenge

ZombiU
Ninja Gaiden 3 - Razor's Edge

Must buy if you want the best of the 3rd party games for your new Wii U

Darksiders 2
Assassin's Creed 3
Call of Duty - Black Ops 2

Must buy if you like smaller downloadable titles

Nano Assault Neo
Trine 2
Mighty Switch Force
Little Inferno

I am sure there are a few other games that people will recommend, but I am only speaking about the ones I got and am very happy with.
The only games I got which I didn't like

Rabbids Land (party game limited to 2-player mini-games and a crappy board game portion) 

that's a lot of games!!!!!!!!

Loving it so far, got a premium version (last one in stock from toys r us) with Nintendoland, epic mickey 2 and game party bundle. Played Nintendoland so far and its amazing im really enjoying it, hoping to pick up zombiu by the new year, money permiting.

Around the Network

The tablet controller was big at first glance, but felt comfortable within minutes. The console itself is of appropriate size, it's as long as the PS3 slim and but not as wide (this is due to an external power brick).

More than happy with it, now it just needs more Nintendo games

e=mc^2

Gaming on: PS4 Pro, Switch, SNES Mini, Wii U, PC (i5-7400, GTX 1060)

Having a great time online, ZombiU is solid but great fun and Nintendoland is great with friends!

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

I think zombi u is awesome, my deaths so far have been from poor decision making, can't get enough and love the miiverse community

I think it's great and has the potential to be Nintendo's best, Miiverse is addictive and NSMBU and ZombiU are top class.

Ok I finally got mine (black Deluxe) as well, here are some quick impressions:

- the initial update does take kind of long (~ 1hour or so) but if you just "cancel" it when it first asks you to update it downloads in the background anyways so you don't have to deal with that (sneaky Nintendo does not like telling us about this feature huh?)

- a lot of people are complaining about the looks of the gamepad (comparing its "cheap look" to toys). However, I actually think it looks quite classy and it just feels awesome - neither too light nor too heavy. It's definately big enough to play games on the pad alone and the picture quality is good. The only time I ever realise it has a lower resolution is when reading text (e.g. while surfing).

- the Wii U browser is awesome! It might just be the fastest browser I have ever used on any device. This is going to be the first time I will actually use a console for surfing. Too bad it doesn't support flash at all though. And Facebook mobile looks horrible on it

- Miiverse is fun and addictive! I am surprised about how many people are actually actively participating and investing so much time and effort in their drawings. For me this might actually be one of Wii U's best features. It makes you feel as if you're always playing with other people.

- loading times in the system menu really do suck. It takes too long for games and applications to load. It does seem like things have improved since yesterday and apps like the browser open really quickly. I hope it will continue to impove as it can be pain in the ass...

- Nintendo Land has some fun single- and multiplayer games but overall I have to say that I might have expected a little more. It might be unfair to call it a mini-game collection but I think it's definately exaggerated to call "Metroid Blast" or Zeldas "Battle Quest" "deep experiences". Graphics are really nice though and I like the different kind of art styles used for different games.

- eShop is a huge improvement over Wiis Shop and a nice step up from 3DS. I downloaded Trine 2 while I was out and it was ready and installed when I came back. People have been mentioning that you need to install games first but this wasn't the case for me?

Overall I am really happy with my purchase and pleasently surprised by a lot of features. Miiverse in particular is awesome and a key feature in NIntendos new console. I can see this possible changing the way how we game with people asking for advice directly instead of googling it etc.