By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Lost RPG Franchises: Where Are They Now?

Tagged games:

lestatdark said:
runqvist said:
Those look like jrpgs, so I think they are where they deserve to be. Long forgotten.

Since it seems you're relatively new on this forum, let me warn you: 

These kind of posts are lamentable and bring nothing worthwhile to the forum. You'll probably get a lot of reports for thread derailement, and rightly so, which will lead to either a warning or a ban, depending on your moderation history. If you keep up that attitude, you won't last long. 

If you don't like the genre, then why comment on a thread where it's obvious that all the people commenting here are fans of the genre just to try and rile them up and all around troll them? Like I said, lamentable, and the usual "It's just my opinion" doesn't cut it here.

I like rpgs, which this thread title suggest. Then there is just pictures from jrpgs which I don't like. Obviously I am not the only one, since there aren't any sequels for those games. I would think that the developers aren't happy with their sales and because of that, they are not bothering with sequels.

If you don't like my opinion, then it is just... too bad for you.

Around the Network
runqvist said:
lestatdark said:
runqvist said:
Those look like jrpgs, so I think they are where they deserve to be. Long forgotten.

Since it seems you're relatively new on this forum, let me warn you: 

These kind of posts are lamentable and bring nothing worthwhile to the forum. You'll probably get a lot of reports for thread derailement, and rightly so, which will lead to either a warning or a ban, depending on your moderation history. If you keep up that attitude, you won't last long. 

If you don't like the genre, then why comment on a thread where it's obvious that all the people commenting here are fans of the genre just to try and rile them up and all around troll them? Like I said, lamentable, and the usual "It's just my opinion" doesn't cut it here.

I like rpgs, which this thread title suggest. Then there is just pictures from jrpgs which I don't like. Obviously I am not the only one, since there aren't any sequels for those games. I would think that the developers aren't happy with their sales and because of that, they are not bothering with sequels.

If you don't like my opinion, then it is just... too bad for you.

There's a plethora of reasons as to why some of these series didn't see a continuation other than just the "not enough sales" commentary. Some developers were disbanded, some directors moved to other companies, some sought other IPs and so on. There are as much examples of series long disbanded in other genres than just JRPGs that have went the same direction.

Nothing wrong with your opinions, everyone is entitled to his/her own, but formulating them as you did is wrong and potentially offensive to the rules of this forum. Just a warning, do with it what you must.

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

ahh yes this brought back some great memories when I read this in the gameinformer mag. the PS1/PS2 era were great for RPG fans...have atleast one or two games from all the series except for the shining series(never got into the series)

out of all the series I would say the my favorite was .Hack// have all 7 games, a very close 2nd would be the Grandia series I love those games; probably one of the best RPG battle systems ever(specially 3)

and...DAMMIT SONY/KONAMI!!! WE'VE BEEN ASKING FOR SUIKODEN II ON PSN FOR YEARS!!! WHAT'S THE HOLD UP!? we already have the first one!!!!

kain_kusanagi said:
Nem said:
kain_kusanagi said:

Panzer Dragoon Saga (The best RPG you probably never played)

Last Seen: Panzer Dragoon Saga, also known as Azel Panzer Dragoon RPG, was the third game in the series. Panzer Dragoon Orta, a shooter for the Xbox, was the fourth and last game. There is a Panzer Dragoon themed track in Sonic Allstars Racing Transformed.

Current Status:  An Xbox 360 Kinect game called Crimson Dragon is being made by a former Team Andromeda member and appears to be a spiritual successor to the shooter origins of the series.

Odds: 100:1 - The makers of the series, known as Team Andromeda, have disbanded. Sega has made no announcement of any plans for the series. Even an HD re-release is impossible because the source code for Panzer Dragoon Saga was damaged and lost. There is little hope for any future Panzer Dragoon games

If you like, play: Anything with dragons.

I lost faith in SEGA long ago. They dont have the talent to make such a sequal, same with Skies of Arcadia and Shining Force. If they did, im pretty sure they would soil it, just like they did with Shining Force Neo.

Of course, i would love to see them well done though.

By the way guys, theres a fan translation to the Japanese only SF3 disc 2 and disc 3. I'm pretty sure i have at least the second one. What SEGA could do, is remake those Shining Force games. Same combat and story, updated graphics.

Cool. Are the translations patchs or can I download the isos, burn them, and play them in my modded Saturn?

The way i recall i had to apply the patch to the game before i could make an iso out of it. I remember there beeing some drama with the release of it and the creators not wanting people to distribute it with the translation applied. I dont know if you even can still find it, but in the internet, usually nothing is really lost.

Turkish said:
The best rpgs are on PS1 and PS2 consoles, Shadow Hearts and Xenosaga anyone?

I wouldn't call Xenosaga lost so much as complete. The creator and development team are still around and fully operational - their last game was Xenoblade, which came out last year. Right now it is assumed they are working on an RPG for the Wii U. It will be interesting to see what they come up with, HOPEFULLY it is in the same universe as Xenosaga and Xenogears, and have a similar type of story.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network
Jumpin said:
Turkish said:

I wouldn't call Xenosaga lost so much as complete. The creator and development team are still around and fully operational - their last game was Xenoblade, which came out last year. Right now it is assumed they are working on an RPG for the Wii U. It will be interesting to see what they come up with, HOPEFULLY it is in the same universe as Xenosaga and Xenogears, and have a similar type of story.

I can be wrong but doesn't Square own Xenogears?

darkknightkryta said:
Jumpin said:
Turkish said:

I can be wrong but doesn't Square own Xenogears?

Xenogears does indeed belong to square, has im sure Xenosaga must belong to Namco.

It was the team from square that made Xenogears that broke off and founded monolith. We all know the games are in the same universe, but there is no clear connection between them. Its just underligned.

lestatdark said:
Nem said:

We totally need a new Grandia though. Such a shame... it still has the best combat system of any RPG i have played. Heck i even finished Grandia Xtreme because i just love the combat system. Grandia 3 had an average plot, but the awesome combat system was there and the graphics were nice.

WTB more Grandia (IV). :(

Same here. I love Grandia and Grandia II, probably some of my favourite games of all time (Grandia even enters my Top 50 list), but if it weren't for the superb battle system that the series has, I wouldn't touch neither Grandia III and Xtreme. It's a shame that they blew the series (plot and story wise). 

If they ever do a new Grandia, I hope that it follows the footsteps of the first two.

100% agree.  Glad to see I am not alone from Saturn/PSone and Dreamcast/PStwo days of this series being the pinnacle of battles.

Augen said:
lestatdark said:
Nem said:

We totally need a new Grandia though. Such a shame... it still has the best combat system of any RPG i have played. Heck i even finished Grandia Xtreme because i just love the combat system. Grandia 3 had an average plot, but the awesome combat system was there and the graphics were nice.

WTB more Grandia (IV). :(

Same here. I love Grandia and Grandia II, probably some of my favourite games of all time (Grandia even enters my Top 50 list), but if it weren't for the superb battle system that the series has, I wouldn't touch neither Grandia III and Xtreme. It's a shame that they blew the series (plot and story wise). 

If they ever do a new Grandia, I hope that it follows the footsteps of the first two.

100% agree.  Glad to see I am not alone from Saturn/PSone and Dreamcast/PStwo days of this series being the pinnacle of battles.

What's sad is that Grandia III promised a lot on the first disc, it almost made my hopes go up after the butchering that was Xtreme, but then came the second disk and it just went downhill again.

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

i want more grandia games very much, i loved grandia 3 alot. grandia 2 was a great game ( only on the dreamcast though ). i know alot of ppl didnt like the : evolution rpg series on the dreamcast and the combo pack for the gamecube, but i liked the series. would like to see a 3rd game, but i know that will never happen. :(

GAMERTAG IS ANIMEHEAVEN X23

PSN ID IS : ANIMEREALM 

PROUD MEMBER OF THE RPG FAN CLUB THREAD

ALL-TIME FAVORITE JRPG IS : LOST ODYSSEY

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=52882&page=1