By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Pokedex officially coming to iOS!

So much potential to make an awesome troll thread... Wasted.. Dissappointed...

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

Around the Network

It's strange seeing Turkish rather excited about something related to Nintendo.

BlkPaladin said:
superchunk said:
This is just the Pokedex and not a game. There will NEVER be a Pokemon game on a non-Nintendo console.

I'm guessing you mean non-spin off game. Because the iOS had that terrible Pokemon rythum game.

I mean there will never be a Pokemon Green/Blue/Red/Amyths/(insert random color) game... i.e. real Pokemon game. Those are exclusively FOREVER on Nintendo and more specifically, their handhelds. Its a primary handheld IP that drives the sales of systems. Nintendo knows this and Nintendo owns the rights to Pokemon.

this is most certainly an information app just like the 3DS pokedex thingy

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

superchunk said:
BlkPaladin said:
superchunk said:
This is just the Pokedex and not a game. There will NEVER be a Pokemon game on a non-Nintendo console.

I'm guessing you mean non-spin off game. Because the iOS had that terrible Pokemon rythum game.

I mean there will never be a Pokemon Green/Blue/Red/Amyths/(insert random color) game... i.e. real Pokemon game. Those are exclusively FOREVER on Nintendo and more specifically, their handhelds. Its a primary handheld IP that drives the sales of systems. Nintendo knows this and Nintendo owns the rights to Pokemon.

Do you believe Nintendo will always be making consoles/handhelds, or do you believe Nintendo will really drown the entire ship when they stop making hardware?

Around the Network
Turkish said:
forest-spirit said:
Turkish said:

Damn lol I thought it was Japanese :O

It is Japanese. Don't let them confuse you!

Honestly I only heard they both use kanji? :P

For the record: Japanese and Chinese both make extensive use of logographic characters originating from China (these characters are called kanji in Japanese, hanzi in Chinese).  There are some notable differences in meaning, but for the most part these characters are the same.  However, Japanese has an entirely different grammatical structure from Chinese, so it uses those characters in very different ways.  As a parallel, French and English both use the Roman alphabet but they are obviously different languages (French also has many more accented characters).  And while Chinese uses the logographs exclusively, Japanese uses them together with syllabic characters known as kana (katakana and hiragana).  Katakana is commonly used to spell out proper names and loanwords, and it is used for all the Pokémon names in the screenshot.  These kana, although inspired by Chinese characters, simply do not exist in Chinese.

Also, there is no such thing as screenshots being written in Mandarin Chinese.  The person who said that was just digging himself or herself into a deeper hole of ignorance.  Mandarin is a dialect of Chinese, which means it's a different way of pronouncing the same written words.  Think of it like a British accent vs. an American accent: the words are (mostly) spelled the same but the speech is different.  Of course Chinese dialects are much further apart in pronunciation than a simple change of accent.  Unlike Roman alphabets, the graphical characters don't give a lot guidance for pronunciation.  So dialects are different enough to be considered a distinct language, often unintelligible to speakers of other dialects.

It is true that there are two major forms of written Chinese: Simplified and Traditional.  The Simplified form (the standard of mainland China) was only introduced fairly recently by the communist People's Republic.  So Japanese kanji mostly consists of Traditional characters, which are also used in Hong Kong and Taiwan.

Didn't the Sega Pico get some Pokemon games in Japan? like Pokémon advanced generation.

Turkish said:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=44372765&posted=1#post44372765

http://www.pokemon.co.jp/ex/pokedex/ja/

Pokemon officially came out last year for iOS. It was some kind of rhythm game. This is the second thing not the first.

ebw said:
Turkish said:
forest-spirit said:
Turkish said:

Damn lol I thought it was Japanese :O

It is Japanese. Don't let them confuse you!

Honestly I only heard they both use kanji? :P

For the record: Japanese and Chinese both make extensive use of logographic characters originating from China (these characters are called kanji in Japanese, hanzi in Chinese).  There are some notable differences in meaning, but for the most part these characters are the same.  However, Japanese has an entirely different grammatical structure from Chinese, so it uses those characters in very different ways.  As a parallel, French and English both use the Roman alphabet but they are obviously different languages (French also has many more accented characters).  And while Chinese uses the logographs exclusively, Japanese uses them together with syllabic characters known as kana (katakana and hiragana).  Katakana is commonly used to spell out proper names and loanwords, and it is used for all the Pokémon names in the screenshot.  These kana, although inspired by Chinese characters, simply do not exist in Chinese.

Also, there is no such thing as screenshots being written in Mandarin Chinese.  The person who said that was just digging himself or herself into a deeper hole of ignorance.  Mandarin is a dialect of Chinese, which means it's a different way of pronouncing the same written words.  Think of it like a British accent vs. an American accent: the words are (mostly) spelled the same but the speech is different.  Of course Chinese dialects are much further apart in pronunciation than a simple change of accent.  Unlike Roman alphabets, the graphical characters don't give a lot guidance for pronunciation.  So dialects are different enough to be considered a distinct language, often unintelligible to speakers of other dialects.

It is true that there are two major forms of written Chinese: Simplified and Traditional.  The Simplified form (the standard of mainland China) was only introduced fairly recently by the communist People's Republic.  So Japanese kanji mostly consists of Traditional characters, which are also used in Hong Kong and Taiwan.

Thanks for this detailed answer man. I learned much of this post! :)

Updated misleading thread title

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.