By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Does sony have a franchise that will sell the PS4 out of the gate

mantlepiecek said:
M.U.G.E.N said:
riderz13371 said:
M.U.G.E.N said:

loldafuq then.....

btw shall i mention one of the main reasons why KZ has trouble hitting mass market appeal? It's name. No joke. 

oh and in thread I learned that GT is a niche title -_- good stuff

It's such an amazing franchise. I feel bad that all the hard work they put into that series and they still don't sell. Not to say that 2m+ is bad but it deserves so much more.

Love the franchise but they REALLY need to do better on their SP side of things. KZ3 was a mess imho for single player. Such an amazing universe/background to tell the story too but they are not capitalizing on it at all. THey can take some pointers for that from ND

The cutscenes and the gameplay felt detached. They need to lengthen the cutscenes, and make it similar to the gameplay. That would keep the flow correct.

Also, those linear sections were boring. On-rails sections and stuff like that. The finale was good though. Remove all of that, remove that stupid vibrating screen when in the vehicles segments, and improve the story, and it has the chance at being as good, or even better than killzone 2 SP. I would say it would be one of the bests then.

The mp was good though. WIsh they did this really.

I agree word to word. The MP was insane fun tho..dat brutal melee

not gonna lie...I enjoyed the story trailer than the actual story in KZ3. But yea the last levels were great. Really liked the zero gravity stuff. Oh and also Kaznan Jungle. IF they can open it up a bit more and have a kaznan jungle like environment for the next KZ..it would be amazing

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

Around the Network
melbye said:
If Uncharted couldn't sell Vita how could it sell PS4?

If Cod couldn't sell Vita how could it sell Xbox720?

CGI-Quality said:

Final Fantasy XIII (on multiple platforms): 6.8mill - LESS than Final Fantasy VII on just the PS1.

You can't be serious...

superchunk said:

No.

This is the reason PSP could not match DS and PSV will die early with the rise of smartphones/tablets.

Sony does not have the IP strength of Nintendo and quite frankly when you consider the appeal of Halo, MS.

Sony has a lot of IPs and many of them are very good for what they are.

• Uncharted is a good story based game, but its not a Mario, Zelda, Halo system seller. Just look at Vita and its Uncharted launch title.
  • GoW simply should not be considered a system seller. Its never really pushed harware.
  • GT is a good candidate, but its a niche title. Not a mass market seller like Mario or Halo.
  • LBP is also a decent choice, but its not quite mass market either.
  • Then there honestly is no other Sony IP I can even think of... Infamous? nope. What else? I seriously don't know why anyone brings up Killzone... ever.

PS1 and 2 dominated not due to Sony's IPs, but do to their early launch combined with A LOT of 3rd party exclusives. PS3 launched late and no exclusives and its result is doing well due to Japan and European love for Playstation while Wii never lived up to 3rd party AAA expectations. Vita meanwhile is, well Vita.

PS4 would require not only a couple first party IPs like a LBP or Uncharted/GT (specifically for Europeans), but they'd also need some serious 3rd party exclusives.

Otherwise, what will be more important is how they directly compare to WiiU/neXtBox. i.e. free online play? increased value in PSN+?, other services? (especially in comparison to what should be expected from MS in Win8 on neXtBox).

Nintendo can launch with a Mario game and be set so long as it has an otherwise good launch line-up and seemingly decent system.
MS can launch fine with a Halo or likely Gears game and be fine with the rest of its obvious offerings.
Sony will need a far more rounded out line-up, especially if they go retard again and offer a $600 system. (I have zero faith that will happen, I expect parity between MSony in price and power)

How can you say GT isn't comparable to Halo when GT sells only a tiny bit lower?

The console price will determine how well it sells out the gate.

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:

What are you people using as a gauge to popularity here? Gran Turismo sells more systems and units than Final Fantasy. How is it not bigger?

I mean, even the lowest selling GT title is higher than the highest Final Fantasy. I ask again, how is GT not bigger?

For one you claimed FF is losing steam when FF's sales are rising and as you pointed out GT has dropped in sales this is contradictory, secondly FF has stood for over 2 decades and a full decade longer then GT and is pulling 6.8m sales this makes it bigger then most series even recent ones because the's a good chance FF will out last the majority of them much like how Mario is still here, thirdly the top selling FF game is FFVII not XIII.

GT is big but not bigger then FF as a franchise, one thing that hurt Sega and later bruised Nintendo was the lack of FF on their platforms, this franchise is a game changer for momentum, if FFXV was announced as a X3 or U exclusive believe me it would cause a bang on the internet. Many sales in Japan hinge on games like FF, DQ and such.

If I was to use your logic it would be like someone saying Wiiplay is bigger then GT because it sold more then GT5.

Definitely Gran turismo, and Uncharted is almost equal to Gears. Then their is God of war which can almost equate to Fable and Forza.

riderz13371 said:
JayWood2010 said:
Jay520 said:

They should be fine.

Gran Turismo is a 10 million seller. Uncharted is a 6 million seller. God of War is a 5 million seller. LittleBigPlanet is a 3-5 million seller(not really sure). Then they have plenty of medium franchises like Killzone and inFAMOUS that sell 2-3 million. There's also new Ips and the fact that developers like ND are splitting up into multiple development studios.

Sony actually had an impressive batch of exclusives who could have been used for the PS3. The problem is many of them were released much too late. As well as excessive pricing, etc.

As for Halo and Gears. Halo isn't that much bigger than Gran Turismo. And Gears isn't that much bigger than Uncharted. 

Best comment I've ever seen you make XD  

It really surprises me that Sony decided to keep games like Last of Us, Beyond, and even God of War Ascension on the PS3 this late in the gen.  Same thing with Halo 4 and 360.  If they would have kept these games for the neXbox and PS4 assuming that they're coming soon then they could have pushed alot of units out of the gate.

What makes you think that they won't blow us away with new IP's in the next gen =P. Naughty Dog has 2 teams now which one of them is most likely working on a game. Anything Naughty Dog touches turns to gold (true story). Also if Beyond does well in sales/reviews I can totally see Sony purchasing Quantic Dreams. Heavy Rain was very successful for a new IP and Sony would be crazy not to aquire such a talented studio if this new game does well. Also as I said that the game director of God of War III is working on a new game. Maybe these games are just a glimpse of what is to come on the PS4 

Heavy Rain is more of a game that people buy if they already have the console.  People don't rush out to buy a ps3 for it.  

CGI-Quality said:

How has Final Fantasy increased in sales? Did you see XIII-2 vs XIII's sales? Yeah, not exactly an improvement. And who cares if FF has a decade on GT, it doesn't sell like GT in the present day. Just look at the situation at face value, Final Fantasy XIII's sales are a good deal behind GT5's, when XIII came out a whole eight months earlier and launched on multiple platforms. It's not even selling like GT5 is now (have you seen it in the Top 20-30 recently, I sure haven't).

I don't think a rocket scientist is needed to know which of the two franchises is bigger.

XIII sold more then XII, that's a rise in sales plus spin off titles never sell as much as mainline titles, face value doesn't always say which franchise is bigger, if we looked at total sales of the franchise FF destroys GT, that and FF has generated content in different media like films, music and TV. Funny thing face value it can be flipped in multiple ways here's another way to flip it, Just Dance 3 outsold GT5 does that mean JD is a bigger franchise? No.

FF for most part has been consistent for 25 years and has more releases per generation while GT release one every 5 years, FF's consistency has been rising in sales even with loads of competition around, GT is only really now being challenged.

I believe Gran Turismo and an exclusive old-school like Crash Candicoot are a very good combo for the PS4 launch.