By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Does sony have a franchise that will sell the PS4 out of the gate

I would say uncharted and god of war are going to be Sony's selling strengths. They can always have another new IP, or they can have LBP which sells pretty decent. A fantastic looking killzone as a new entry for PS4, if marketed well, can do wonders.

Around the Network
KeptoKnight said:
Jay520 said:
sales2099 said:

Well the spent 5.5 years getting used to the PS3 archeteture and now they are wrapping themselves around the PS4 archecture. But even then Sony has this policy to let them release the game when its ready. Sony pressured PD to release GT5 one year too early, and the metascore reflected that.

In the end, we don't know, but my guess is just as probable as yours.

Well Kaz said himself that GT6 won't take as much time to develop as GT5 due to the fact that GT6 will use the same framework/engine as GT5. 

There's also the fact that Sony stated that they would make their hardware easier to develop. So don't expect the PS4 to be as difficult to develop for as the PS3.

With the known information, expecting GT6 to take as long as GT5 is improbable. If GT5 took 5.5 years, then I expect GT6 will take 4 years, releasing in 2014, only one year after the PS3 launches.

If a system is easier to develop for can we conclude that it will be easier to hack?  Just thinking about their 1P sales. I am wondering if someone can make a thread on it :X

They will most likely ban people hacking on the PS4 as well.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/gamers-caught-with-ps3-hacks-face-psn-ban-6400021

The only franchise that could be Sony's Mario or Halo was/(is?) Final Fantasy.

We don't know for certain what went down in 2008 that made Square change their mind but I think it was Sony's biggest mistake to let FF go. It still ended up selling more than 4.5 mil on the PS3 alone.

I really hope Versus passes on a message to Sony about how important this franchise can be for their system.

riderz13371 said:
M.U.G.E.N said:
riderz13371 said:

GG is also making a new IP plus they Killzone Merc for Vita. Damn they're busy =P

I doubt it's a new IP tho...I think it has to be KZ4. Siliconera discovered a script of KZ (to be said by the visari's daughter) a while back. KZ Merc doesn't sound like it's taking that route.

Imagine a KZ on a next gen console 0_0 would be a perfect way to show off the system as well

oh and GG has expanded now so they can handle more. Sony Cambridge is part of GG now

This is from Guerilla Games website,

After the successful release of the original Killzone, Guerilla was acquired by Sony Computer Entertainment in 2005. It went on to create the critically acclaimed handheld spin-off, Killzone Liberation, as well as the award-winning sequel, Killzone 2. The studio released Killzone 3 to eager audiences in February of 2011, and is currently in the process of developing a second IP. 

loldafuq then.....

btw shall i mention one of the main reasons why KZ has trouble hitting mass market appeal? It's name. No joke. 

oh and in thread I learned that GT is a niche title -_- good stuff

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

Why do people consider games can't improve their sales? Look at killzone, as an example it improved both sales and quality with killzone 2 to exceptional levels.

Same can happen with infamous.

Around the Network

I think a lot of people here are mistaking every big title as a platform seller when that's not the case, looking at sales off this very site it seems mainly GT, GOW and Uncharted are Sony's bet. Games that sell alright (2m range) aren't necessarily platform sellers tbh, some smaller games can push platforms, Fist of the North Star shifted PS3s in Japan for example.

riderz13371 said:
KeptoKnight said:
Jay520 said:
sales2099 said:

Well the spent 5.5 years getting used to the PS3 archeteture and now they are wrapping themselves around the PS4 archecture. But even then Sony has this policy to let them release the game when its ready. Sony pressured PD to release GT5 one year too early, and the metascore reflected that.

In the end, we don't know, but my guess is just as probable as yours.

Well Kaz said himself that GT6 won't take as much time to develop as GT5 due to the fact that GT6 will use the same framework/engine as GT5. 

There's also the fact that Sony stated that they would make their hardware easier to develop. So don't expect the PS4 to be as difficult to develop for as the PS3.

With the known information, expecting GT6 to take as long as GT5 is improbable. If GT5 took 5.5 years, then I expect GT6 will take 4 years, releasing in 2014, only one year after the PS3 launches.

If a system is easier to develop for can we conclude that it will be easier to hack?  Just thinking about their 1P sales. I am wondering if someone can make a thread on it :X

They will most likely ban people hacking on the PS4 as well.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/gamers-caught-with-ps3-hacks-face-psn-ban-6400021

Yeah but thats accessing the PSN. They can still play 1P's with patch games (without online). I mean its a discussion worth noting since it hurt the PSP big time.

* The PS4 wil be cheap this time around along with disc media.

*When the PS4 releases hackers will be going hard on it.

CGI-Quality said:

Gran Turismo is bigger for Sony than Final Fantasy. Just food for thought. I also don't know how Sony let Final Fanatsy "go" when they still get the games and the games are strongest on the PlayStation platform.

I do agree that Verus XIII is important for Sony, I just don't imagine them breaking their backs to keep its exclusivity. In the end, will be on multiple systems.

I disagree, Forza is another simulator that is becoming really huge as well, which means there is an alternative. FF is a unique.

They should be breaking their backs big time to keep not just versus but the whole franchise.

M.U.G.E.N said:
riderz13371 said:
M.U.G.E.N said:
riderz13371 said:

GG is also making a new IP plus they Killzone Merc for Vita. Damn they're busy =P

I doubt it's a new IP tho...I think it has to be KZ4. Siliconera discovered a script of KZ (to be said by the visari's daughter) a while back. KZ Merc doesn't sound like it's taking that route.

Imagine a KZ on a next gen console 0_0 would be a perfect way to show off the system as well

oh and GG has expanded now so they can handle more. Sony Cambridge is part of GG now

This is from Guerilla Games website,

After the successful release of the original Killzone, Guerilla was acquired by Sony Computer Entertainment in 2005. It went on to create the critically acclaimed handheld spin-off, Killzone Liberation, as well as the award-winning sequel, Killzone 2. The studio released Killzone 3 to eager audiences in February of 2011, and is currently in the process of developing a second IP. 

loldafuq then.....

btw shall i mention one of the main reasons why KZ has trouble hitting mass market appeal? It's name. No joke. 

oh and in thread I learned that GT is a niche title -_- good stuff

It's such an amazing franchise. I feel bad that all the hard work they put into that series and they still don't sell. Not to say that 2m+ is bad but it deserves so much more.

Hell I'd buy a PS4 for a new Buzz game call me easy.