By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Your Top 50 Games: 2012 Discussion Thread: FINISH YOUR LISTS

S.Peelman said:
Michael-5 said:
S.Peelman said:

#1 - ?

The number 1 game, the best game ever made, should not come as a surprise.

Chrono Trigger

or Super Mario RPG?

Which is it?!?!?!?!

Nope .

Sadly, I've never played either of those, because they weren't released in the PAL region. Recently I've learned Chrono Trigger was actually rereleased on DS, so I'm trying to track that down. I do know both games are supposed to be top notch!

But, my #1 game shouldn't come as a surprise, because this game is usually heralded as the best game ever made. In that sense a very unoriginal choice, but I agree with the sentiment and it is still obviously missing from the complete list.

So it is Chrono Trigger!

Lol, Zelda: OoT? That made my list, but it's far from the top.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Around the Network
Mr Khan said:

49. The only game in this franchise where the flagpole yields coins and not points (Not guessed!)

46. A gang of four animals on a quest to take out a monkey (not guessed!)

38. This being the second made by F5, this game covered entries 4, 5, and 6 and the events in between (not guessed!)

35. Ritzy-titled games that brought online features to their franchise (not guessed!)

30. This game, one of the best-sellers of the last generation, helped sell a piece of functionless plastic (not guessed!)

26. A little water solves all your problems (not guessed!)

23. It was too easy, Alec (not guessed!)

21. You can be anything! Darth Maul, a refrigerator, a dynamite miner, or fireworks! (not guessed!)

12. 9th in its franchise, but the first to appear on a console worldwide (not guessed!)

9. You'll get no medals for guessing these games, who introduced a lot of big features to their franchise (not guessed!)

6. Three epic sub-stories. Didn't use its console's main feature at all. Showdown with a Goddess. (not guessed!)

49. New Super Mario Bros. 2

46. Starfox 64

38. What's F5?

35. No Clue

30. Guitar Hero

26. That arcade game where you play as a firefighter!

23. No Clue

21. Scribblenauts

12. Fire Emblem: Path of Radience (9th entry in franchise, first to appear on a console WW, GBA iterations were not released on home consoles)

9. No Clue

6. No Clue

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

And there you have it.

I just like to say I've found this a very fun thread to participate in ! Thanks for the idea, the complete is posted in the other thread. New year's only an hour away for me and I'd like to wish everyone a good 2013!

Now that the complete list is posted, it's time for a little analysis:

Best Year: 1998, 8 titles.
Average Year: 1999.12
Median Game by Release Date: SimCity 3000, January 1999 #30
Most Featured Genre: 3D Platform, 7 titles.
Most Represented Platform: PC, 13 titles. N64, 7 titles.
Most Represented Generation: 5th, N64+PS1+GB(C)+PC, 17 titles
Oldest Game: Missile Command, 1980 #35
Newest Game: Resident Evil: Revelations, 2012 #25

5. Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King

4. Warcraft 3

3. Pokémon Blue

2. Dark Cloud 2

1. Final Fantasy X

Had I played The Walking Dead sooner it would have been on my list and pretty high at that. Like top 20. So good.

Around the Network

Michael-5 said:

So it is Chrono Trigger!

Lol, Zelda: OoT? That made my list, but it's far from the top.

Yes, OoT. Wasn't that surprising was it?

Anyway, the last paragraph in the description pretty much says it all, why this game wins I mean!

Michael-5 said:
Mr Khan said:

49. The only game in this franchise where the flagpole yields coins and not points (Not guessed!)

46. A gang of four animals on a quest to take out a monkey (not guessed!)

38. This being the second made by F5, this game covered entries 4, 5, and 6 and the events in between (not guessed!)

35. Ritzy-titled games that brought online features to their franchise (not guessed!)

30. This game, one of the best-sellers of the last generation, helped sell a piece of functionless plastic (not guessed!)

26. A little water solves all your problems (not guessed!)

23. It was too easy, Alec (not guessed!)

21. You can be anything! Darth Maul, a refrigerator, a dynamite miner, or fireworks! (not guessed!)

12. 9th in its franchise, but the first to appear on a console worldwide (not guessed!)

9. You'll get no medals for guessing these games, who introduced a lot of big features to their franchise (not guessed!)

6. Three epic sub-stories. Didn't use its console's main feature at all. Showdown with a Goddess. (not guessed!)

49. New Super Mario Bros. 2

46. Starfox 64

38. What's F5?

35. No Clue

30. Guitar Hero

26. That arcade game where you play as a firefighter!

23. No Clue

21. Scribblenauts

12. Fire Emblem: Path of Radience (9th entry in franchise, first to appear on a console WW, GBA iterations were not released on home consoles)

9. No Clue

6. No Clue

46 and 12 are right, everything else is off. At least, i'm pretty sure you don't get coins at the pole in NSMB2 (unless you have a gold flower), but there's one game where you always get coins at the pole.

For 38: the series in question is best known for its 4th, 5th, and 6th entries (more than 1, 2, or 3), and F5 is the initials of the developer.

35: the plural word "games" should be a giveaway of its franchise (same with number 9). Franchise has new "generations" of games in lieu of individual new games

30. The key word is "functionless" plastic. The guitar had a function, but this game was sold with cold, inert plastic (there's a thread about it being the best-selling game that's active right now)

26. Lol, never had a chance to play Burning Rangers, wish i had. Water is used to solve problems in this game that you might not think it should solve.

23. Alec's full name is Alec Trevelyan (this is giving it away)

21. I guess i needed a better clue for this one, but think about games where you, the player, actually transforms into different things. This game was unique in its franchise for being able to combine copy abilities

6 relates to 12.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Well here are the final 5 and another top 50 list done. The worst thing about going through all these days finishing this list is that now I know by next year a few of these games will be replaced for others. Well, lets get to it.

5. Xenoblade Chronicles (Wii): I put my money where my mouth was and not only did I enjoy 99% of it, it turned out to be my number 5 favorite game of all time. I love every aspect of this game. Story, music, gameplay, graphics(maybe a little less when up close) are all outstanding. I will 100% this game some day. But for now it just has this placement on my list.

4. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (Wii): I really wanted to put this game on my list last year.But it didn't make the date requirement so it finally gets its recognition this year. I love this game and the golden wiimote it came with and I will soon beat it again with my golden nunchuck just for the fun of it.

3. The World Ends With You (DS): The first game I bought because of this community. I had no idea what to expect and what I got was easily my favorite game on the DS. I thank you guys for pushing up great lesser known games and this game is amazing and I just hope that we get another entry in this series.

2. Killer 7 (GC): I love No More Heroes but for the life of me I have never played Suda 51's Killer 7 just because I kept on forgetting to buy it. When you start this game I think almost half the people will stop because of how weird the controls are, but once you learn how the game operates and start to delve deep into the story, you get engrossed into the most complex, disgusting, ridiculous, and sad stories ever. I love the ending in how much and little sense it makes. It is the most unique game you will ever play and it would be an experience you will never forget.

1. Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Wii): Smeags poked me to finished this list because he remembered that we have the same number 1 game. (Don't lie to me Smeags!) But in all seriousness, this game is a masterpiece. Does it have flaws? None that I am aware of. It easily my favorite game of all time and it just what I look for in videogames: fun in its purest form.

Thats my list. Happy new year. Now to make a couple video reviews before I go back to college.

don't waste time

3DS FC 4914-3563-4510

NNID : turtuls

1st - The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker

Wind Waker was one of my first games on the Gamecube and when I played it, I became instantly in love with the game. While I can see how people dislike this game, becasue of the slow sailing and the triforce quest, I on the other hand believe that this title surpassed what it was trying to be. Just sailing through the vast ocean without knowing what lies ahead was what captured me. for the most part,´. It really felt like an grand adventure, an adventure. 

One of the other aspects of this game that captured me was Ganondorf. I felt that in this title he was portrayed different than any other Zelda titles, I actually symphatized with him during he end, I could see why he tried to do what he tried. Now putting that aside, I can also say that the gameplay is amazing, being drastically improved over the N64 Zelda's, not only because of the controller, but this game was actually the last Zelda to have used items from previous dungeons in a good chunk of the game. Another part was also the swordfighting, where new moves where implemented and that has appeared in recent titles. Before getting to the end of this, I will also have to say that the soundtrack is among the best in the series, the artstyle was the best this game could have gotten. 

Now for the ending. I can say that it was phenomenal. Just getting to stab Ganondorf once and for all in the head, for good to the King's speech of a new future, just made me tear up. I can say that this game felt as the end of a begining and aswell the begining of the end. I do hope that one day we will be seeing the future that they take responsibility in, with that I mean that I hope someday we will be seeing the discovery of this new land.

With all that, Happy New Years to everyone in VGChartz and I have really enjoyed taking participation on this event. I thank you Smeags for creating this event and thank all members that have participated, since you like me have shared big parts of your gaming history in this thread. I can't wait til next year or rather 11 months since it's January for me now and again Happy New Year's VGChartz! 

Check out my Upcoming Wii U Games 2014 Thread

3DS Friend Code: 4553 - 9954 - 4854. Name - David

@Turtuls

I have no idea what you're talking about.

Anyways, update time again! 61 Lists tallied, 1036 unique games. @_@