By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Your Top 50 Games: 2012 Discussion Thread: FINISH YOUR LISTS

6. Donkey Kong Country (SNES)

Nintendo aren't just famous for their Mario platformers, and Donkey Kong Country was Rare at their absolute best. The game was beautiful for its time, and the soundtrack was extremely memorable. Whenever I hear one of the tunes today, I'm instantly taken back to my childhood. It's not just aesthetically pleasing though, because it's also a wonderful game. Whether it's a standard level, a mine cart level, or a level with an animal companion to ride, it was always great fun to play. It could be infuriating at times, but that's what made you come back for one more go.

VGChartz

Around the Network

5. Metroid Prime (GC)

Metroid Prime is so good for a variety of reasons. It's not just the basic idea of the game or anything as simple as that, it's all about the sum of its parts. It wouldn't be so good without the same environment to slowly explore, or with some different enemies, or different weapons, or any other individual part that makes the game so great. If one thing helps the most though, it's the sense of isolation that the game gives you. You are alone as you explore this hostile environment, and you sure do know it. That's something that not many games can accomplish, but it was done to perfection here.

Clue for number 4. Take that, Jaws.

VGChartz

I forgot to put Wii Sports on my list, and I gave Luigi's Mansion the rank of 20.  I must of been high or drunk when I finalized my list.

10th -

Jak 3 is one of my favorite PS2 games. This game had excellent gameplay. The combination of the combat and plattforming in this game was very well done. The setting of the game made me even like it more. I also enjoyed riding vechiles in this game, as they controlled quite well. The game just had very few flaws. My favorite part was just exploring the world that the game offered, as it was very beautiful and enjoyable to just take down random enemies.I wish more games in this genre offered this kind of experience.

Check out my Upcoming Wii U Games 2014 Thread

3DS Friend Code: 4553 - 9954 - 4854. Name - David

9th - 

After the horrible Partner's in Time, I was not expecting much from this, except that it was probably going to be better. When the day of purchase came to the day of completion, I was left amazed. The gameplay was just amazing, especially the final boss. I liked the way, that you needed to use the three characters at different locations, like for example the area when Bowser drank water. Of course it may be seen as simple, but I liked that Alphadream made use of that mechanic. Besides the gameplay, the soundtrack was amazing and the humour was like always very well written, while not at the level of SuperStar Saga, it was still enjoyable.

Around the Network

8th -

The Mystery Dungeon series has been my favorite within the Pokémon universe. There is tons to do in the games and there is also a post-story. While the gameplay is not the best in the Pokémon Universe, the story and humour is and the content is also more enjoyable too. The different combinations to begin the game is also very welcome. There is not very much to say about this game, but because of this game, I have become very excited for Mystery Dungeon 3DS.

7th - Professor Layton and the Mask of Miracle

Mask of Miracle was my third third adventure with this gentleman and it did not dissapoint. While Last Spectre was a great game, it did lack within the puzzle department and soundtrack. Well Layton-5 did fix that and had every aspect improved. While the story was indeed predictable, it did not hurt the game by much. This title also had very many lovable characters, like for example the Masked Gentleman, which was my favorite character in the game and the voice acting was not that bad if I may add.

The mini-gams in this game was also improved, but that might vary from person to person. Having to train a cute bunny to guiding a toy robot, to its destination was quite fun and in the end prooved to set a challenge. While this game might not see alot of replay of me, at least the daily puzzles will get me to play the game again. 

Catching up, quick list style:

#9 - Secret of Mana - So much to do, colorful world and characters, fun story and absolutely amazing music
#8 - Final Fantasy VI - A great cast, a perfect vilain, fun combat system, tons of hidden quests and treasures
#7 - Resident Evil 4 - Nail biting action, tense combat, awesome pacing, Spanish zombies!
#6 - Diablo II (Lord of Destruction) - Endless hours spent leveling countless characters. Nothing felt better than creating of character that destroyed everything in its path.

Signature goes here!

#5. Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (SNES, VC)

Here it is my favorite Zelda game: A Link to the Past. With more than 10 dungeons, a wide selection of items, a great art style, a nice difficulty this game never has a dull moment. In two minutes, you get your sword and shiled and you're off to rescue Princess Zelda from Aghanim. Then begins the quest to retrieve the Master Sword which to a trip to the dark world to rescue the 7 maidens. There's plenty of side quests mostly in the form of hidden pieces of hearts and optional items. You can also beat up chickens until they fight back!

I actually played this game so much that I once attempted to finish it in one sitting without any saves. I was almost done (heading to Ganon) when a power outage put an abrupt end to this plan.

Signature goes here!

TruckOSaurus said:
Kantor said:
Clue for #4: Don't upset Eddard Stark's youngest daughter.

Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow?

Her name is Arya, yes, but no.

Think of why you don't want to upset her. She says so herself.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective