By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Your Top 50 Games: 2012 Discussion Thread: FINISH YOUR LISTS

Smeags said:
Hints for games #9-#6

#9:

Kew kew kew...

#8:

Trouble with the blustering wind? No need to trace the footsteps, just jump on his head instead!

In Japan, that old man was passed out drunk. In the rest of world, he just needed some coffee.

Want the coolest weapon in the game? Start with eye-drops.

#7 has got to be Pokemon Yellow, Blue, or Red. I'll never forget that old man... Because I worked so hard trying to talk to him to get Missing No., only to learn that you couldn't do it in Yellow Version when I was seven. -_-;

Hmm

Around the Network

#8: Super Mario 64 (1996)
Last Year: 7

Not only is Super Mario 64 a revolution in the world of video games, it's one of the most fun and imaginative games as well. The game was a wonder to play when it first came out in 1996, due to its incredible 3D graphics and 3D control via the analogue stick. But even today (well, the graphics aren't what they used to be... but still suffice) the game stands tall due to its fantastic worlds and ever changing gameplay mechanics. Super Mario 64 certainly encouraged exploration, something that was quite odd for a Mario game, but it never lost the magical focus that made the Super Mario series so incredible from the beginning. In the end, Super Mario 64 stands tall not just for being a revolution in gaming, but also for being another incredible game in general.

Cheddarchet said:

#7 has got to be Pokemon Yellow, Blue, or Red. I'll never forget that old man... Because I worked so hard trying to talk to him to get Missing No., only to learn that you couldn't do it in Yellow Version when I was seven. -_-;

Haha, nice. ^_^

Yeah, I was totally bummed when I learned that the Old Man/Cinnebar Island trick didn't work in Pokemon Yellow.

My cheatin' days were done... until Action Replay showed up. :3

#7: Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow
Last Year: 8

Pokemon was more than just a simple GameBoy game. Pokemon was my childhood. I was 10 years old when Pokemon Red/Blue came out in 1998 (it seems like an eternity has passed since then... sheesh!), and since then I've become a full fledged Pokemaniac. It would have never started if it wasn't for this little masterpiece. Simple gaming mechanics (no more than an advanced form of rock, paper, scissors) but with loads of variables (151 Pokemon to choose from! Various assortments of movesets!) allowed for a game that was simple to play but difficult to master. And all these variables allowed for innumerable playthroughs. Just how many times I've played through this game... I'll never know. All I know that this game is a part of me that I'll never forget, and that it's helped me grow as a gamer. Pokemon for life!

Smeags said:
Mr Khan said:

9. Skyward Sword?

8. Super Mario 64

6. Ocarina of Time

Correct on all three counts!

Here's another hint for #7:

This old man helps you find the missing number.

Also, for #5:

You are Monsieur Homosexual.

#5 is Super Mario Galaxy with the secret message spelling U R Mr Gay

Signature goes here!

Around the Network

#6: The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (1998)
Last Year: 6

There are many gamers who say that 1998 was the greatest year ever for gaming-kind. It's hard to argue, as I have four games from that year (Banjo-Kazooie, StarCraft, Pokemon Red/Blue... and now this little game) in my list of the 50 all-time greats. But if 1998, in all of its gaming glory, can only be known for one game, then it has to be The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. And not only does it define just that year, but it defines an entire era of gaming. This game has been our reigning champion two years now, and I doubt it will unleash its vice-grip on the throne any time soon. And I'm alright with that. In fact, I'm more than fine with the notion that this game is the crown jewel of gaming. If there's a game that captures the magic and wonder of gaming, it's this one. So I'll happily help this game continue it's legendary reputation. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time has more than earned it.

TruckOSaurus said:

#5 is Super Mario Galaxy with the secret message spelling U R Mr Gay

Clever hobbitsauruses to climb so high!

Smeags said:

#8: Super Mario 64 (1996)
Last Year: 7

Not only is Super Mario 64 a revolution in the world of video games, it's one of the most fun and imaginative games as well. The game was a wonder to play when it first came out in 1996, due to its incredible 3D graphics and 3D control via the analogue stick. But even today (well, the graphics aren't what they used to be... but still suffice) the game stands tall due to its fantastic worlds and ever changing gameplay mechanics. Super Mario 64 certainly encouraged exploration, something that was quite odd for a Mario game, but it never lost the magical focus that made the Super Mario series so incredible from the beginning. In the end, Super Mario 64 stands tall not just for being a revolution in gaming, but also for being another incredible game in general.

Nice Banner.

You know what I always found weird with this game? Why does Mario start the game in the middle of the road? Just standing there? It always felt so out of place, especially since everyone cuts the field to the castle for the first time.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

#05 - Ratchet & Clank: A Crack in Time (PS3)

As guessed by Green_Sky.

I have a long history with R&C, which I won't get into in too much detail here, but the short version is that I hated the original game when it released on PS2 due to being sorely let down because it was following on from Insomniac's last effort (Spyro).  Fast forward 10 years, and there's a Ratchet game making my top 5 games ever?

A Crack in Time nails pretty much every aspect of gaming that I enjoy these days.  It is a nigh-on perfect game.  There is a beautiful, sweet, touching story injected with plenty of moments of humour to keep it light hearted.  The characters here are great - Qwark is his usual bumbling self, but Azimuth adds a deeper edge to the plot.  There is a whole galaxy to explore, some fantastic platforming levels, some even more fantastic puzzle levels and - as usual with Ratchet - some ridiculous but hilarious weapons to blow your enemies to smithereens with.  The graphics are absolutely stunning, the soundtrack is incredible, the game moves at a fantastic pace and the ending... well the ending.

I can find very little to fault with this game.  As a fan of collectathon platformers there's hardly anything that can be improved.  This game is the reason Ratchet fans are itching since the last two releases (All 4 One & Q-Force) just haven't lived up to the pedigree that we know Insomniac is capable of which they demonstrated with A Crack in Time.  Another game where I would say "If you haven't played it yet, now is the time".  It truly is that good.

Clue for my #04 - My biggest surprise of the current generation which came in such a little package.