By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Your Top 50 Games: 2012 Discussion Thread: FINISH YOUR LISTS

Clue for my #08 - The best extreme sports game I have ever played, the peak of the series. Brought pseudo-free-roaming gameplay to the snowy mountains.

Around the Network

Her's my list since I left off. I'll Do explanations for these.

26. Fallout 2 (PC)
25. Super Mario Bros 3 (NES)
24. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (PC)
23. The World Ends With You (DS)
22. Legend of Heroes: Trails In The Sky (PSP)
21. The Longest Journey (PC)
20. Baulder's Gate II (PC)
19. Final Fantasy VII (PC)
18. Wipeout HD: Fury (PS3)
17. X-Wing (PC)
16. Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princes (GC)
15. Metal Gear Solid (PC)
14. Fallout: New Vegas (PC)
13. Persona 3: FES (PS2)
12. Pokemon Crystal (GBC)
11. Knights Of The Old Republic II: Sith Lords (PC)

10. Supreme Commander (PC)

This game is my favorite RTS ever. It has massive battles. Introduced (Strategic Zoom which starcraft still doesn't have), Real-time physics calculations for projectiles, experimental Super Units, a different style of economy, which required lots of multitasking with your commander, with many different upgrade Paths, Naval Warfare, etc.  It had all kinds of unique ideas that RTS's have lacked as of late. The Main campaign was rather boring however, and it never achieved optimum balance like Starcrat 1 did.

number 9. Naked Cartwheels.

Kresnik said:

#09 - Final Fantasy VII (PS1)

As guessed by Veknoid.

Final Fantasy VII, like Metal Gear Solid just below it on my list, was hyped to the high heavens in all the Playstation magazines I read, and again it was another game that I felt could never live up to all the hype.  But it did.

I'd actually never played a JRPG before FF VII, it was literally my introduction to the genre.  A genre which fast became my favourite ever (only thing that holds a candle to it is 3D platformers), but all these years of JRPGs and I'm still trying to find something which delivers the same impact VII had on me.

The emotional punch of the game was unlike anything I'd ever seen before.  I cried.  I was 8 and I cried.  I loved the music, I grew attached to the characters, and the game's locations are probably the most memorable I've ever come across.  You won't forget Midgar slums any time soon.  But the game offered to much more.  The world-saving plot was beautifully told and fantastically paced, the combat was enjoyably strategic and fluid and there was tonnes of optional stuff to do outside of the main quest.  I mean, a whole section of the game was filled with an arcade which you could actually play.  My mind was blown.

There's only been one JRPG which has ever bettered FF VII (which I'll get to in due course), but as an introduction to the genre I literally could not have picked a better game.

I'm very curious about this other RPG yet to be named.

ishiki said:

Her's my list since I left off. I'll Do explanations for these.

26. Fallout 2 (PC)
25. Super Mario Bros 3 (NES)
24. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (PC)
23. The World Ends With You (DS)
22. Legend of Heroes: Trails In The Sky (PSP)
21. The Longest Journey (PC)
20. Baulder's Gate II (PC)
19. Final Fantasy VII (PC)
18. Wipeout HD: Fury (PS3)
17. X-Wing (PC)
16. Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princes (GC)
15. Metal Gear Solid (PC)
14. Fallout: New Vegas (PC)
13. Persona 3: FES (PS2)
12. Pokemon Crystal (GBC)
11. Knights Of The Old Republic II: Sith Lords (PC)

10. Supreme Commander (PC)

This game is my favorite RTS ever. It has massive battles. Introduced (Strategic Zoom which starcraft still doesn't have), Real-time physics calculations for projectiles, experimental Super Units, a different style of economy, which required lots of multitasking with your commander, with many different upgrade Paths, Naval Warfare, etc.  It had all kinds of unique ideas that RTS's have lacked as of late. The Main campaign was rather boring however, and it never achieved optimum balance like Starcrat 1 did.

number 9. Naked Cartwheels.

Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty

Signature goes here!

Player2 said:
hatmoza said:
9-

Hint- WooHoo! Wa! Yahoo!

The Sims something?

Yep Yep!

9-The Sims (PC)

I am the black sheep     "of course I'm crazy, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong."-Robert Anton Wilson

Around the Network
hatmoza said:
Player2 said:
hatmoza said:
9-

Hint- WooHoo! Wa! Yahoo!

The Sims something?

Yep Yep!

9-The Sims (PC)

You really thoght about the sims first? My guess would have been:

sigh
being questioned by the people who weren't in on the inside joke is a drag.

I am the black sheep     "of course I'm crazy, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong."-Robert Anton Wilson

9. Super Mario 64 (N64)

Mario 64 was a revolutionary game for its time, and not just within the Mario franchise. There were a couple of other attempts at dragging platformers into the 3D era at around the same time, but it was Mario 64 that showed how it should be done, and became the standard for all future 3D platformers to follow. It introduced numerous new elements to the Mario series, most notably a more open structure, and also the addition of a central hub that you're free to explore and discover a few secrets within at your leisure.

I'm probably not going to be online again until the 27th, so I'll leave clues for 8-5 here.

8 - Like Mario 64, this game was the first 3D game in its series.
7 - Turns out he can be an astronaut as well.
6 - Rare's finest moment in a series now developed elsewhere.
5 - Nintendo's ray of light during the Gamecube era.

VGChartz

Veknoid_Outcast said:

I'm very curious about this other RPG yet to be named.

:)

I would hope it's not much of a surprise.  Might be a bit of an unpopular opinion though! :P

Kresnik said:
Clue for my #08 - The best extreme sports game I have ever played, the peak of the series. Brought pseudo-free-roaming gameplay to the snowy mountains.

SSX...3?