By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Your Top 50 Games: 2012 Discussion Thread: FINISH YOUR LISTS

#10. Mario Kart: Double Dash!! (GC)

Mario Kart games have always been a big part of my gaming career and this one is the one I enjoyed the most. The two character per kart feature added a very interesting twist. At first, I really didn't like sharing my kart with another player but during the course of an All Cup where my brother and I shared a kart versus my younger brother who was alone. Nothing was more satisfying then driving by and shoving him off the track by pressing L or R.

I enjoyed most of the tracks available and I would always opt for the All Cup which meant a really close race for first place against my borthers (or a crushing victory against the AI).

The battle mode while not as fun as Mario Kart 64's was still really good and the Shine Thief variation was a great addition.

Signature goes here!

Around the Network

#9 Hint: A brillant 3 player RPG with incredible music.

Signature goes here!

TruckOSaurus said:
#9 Hint: A brillant 3 player RPG with incredible music.

Given that Seiken Densetsu 3 didn't make it to the US I'll say Secret of Mana.

11. Okami (2006)

It hurts a little to do it, but this game is down from 5th on the last list. The concept of running around as a wolf with a magic paintbrush and using it to change the environment around you seems almost katamari-crazy at first, but after a while just feels normal.  The game at first feels a bit short before achieving its RPG length with a zelda-like midgame boss.  The normal battles have a little bit of variety thrown into the techniques used to kill different enemies but the boss battles are where the game really shines.  Outside of battle there are numerous things to collect and upgrades to achieve for different items.  The special part of this game is the ability to draw your attacks and platforming tools using the paint brush as you learn new brushstrokes.  These techniques allow you to change the time of day and do everything from a simple slash to a bomb, or blooming flowers to walking up walls.  The story ties in mythology nicely and the art style is beautiful as well.

Primarily an RPG player but have interest in any game that will make me think. 

10. Super Mario Galaxy, Wii (2007) Nintendo

This game made its slot in the top 10 for being a surpassingly excellent game. It reinvented 3D platforming, taking concepts first explored in Sonic Adventure 2 and one of the Ratchet and Clank games and making gravity-based gameplay an integral part of the game. There are many games with superlative platforming on this list, however, and what really puts Super Mario Galaxy ahead is how it integrates color and music to really make you feel the experience. It really clicked with me, obviously, making me feel the magic of video gaming in a way that no game had since Super Mario 64 (more on that later).

Where it went above its storied predecessor 3D Marios, however, was in giving you a truly meaningful reward for getting all 120 stars: the ability to play the whole game again with Luigi, his first appearance in a 3D Mario game.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network

You'll get no medals for guessing number 9, which brought changes to its franchise that have been integral ever since.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

shogia said:

11. Okami (2006)

It hurts a little to do it, but this game is down from 5th on the last list. The concept of running around as a wolf with a magic paintbrush and using it to change the environment around you seems almost katamari-crazy at first, but after a while just feels normal.  The game at first feels a bit short before achieving its RPG length with a zelda-like midgame boss.  The normal battles have a little bit of variety thrown into the techniques used to kill different enemies but the boss battles are where the game really shines.  Outside of battle there are numerous things to collect and upgrades to achieve for different items.  The special part of this game is the ability to draw your attacks and platforming tools using the paint brush as you learn new brushstrokes.  These techniques allow you to change the time of day and do everything from a simple slash to a bomb, or blooming flowers to walking up walls.  The story ties in mythology nicely and the art style is beautiful as well.

Finally another Okami sighting! I was beginning to get worried.

9-

Hint- WooHoo! Wa! Yahoo!

I am the black sheep     "of course I'm crazy, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong."-Robert Anton Wilson

TruckOSaurus said:

#11. Super Mario 64 (N64, VC)

Yes, another Mario platformer! This one is my favorite. Exploring Peach's Castle in Mario 64 had something really magical to it. You were never told exactly where to go and while most of the paintings were easy to find some of the stars were very well hidden. One of the reasons I put Mario 64 ahead of other 3D Marios is the fact that every world was so big and you were free to search for stars wherever you wanted. This added a sense of exploration that is a lot less present in other 3D Marios. Also the Wing Cap was an absolute joy to use once you got the hang of it. I also loved the Bowser fights, Bowser never looked so impressive and to this day I'm still not sure what Mario says when he launches Bowser towards a bomb, all I keep hearing is "So long gay donkey!" I'm pretty sure I've got it wrong.

always hear it as "so longah Gay bowzar" myself. gotta love the n64s crystal clear audio :D

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

hatmoza said:
9-

Hint- WooHoo! Wa! Yahoo!

You copied my hint! Super Mario 64.

Signature goes here!