By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Your Top 50 Games: 2012 Discussion Thread: FINISH YOUR LISTS

hatmoza said:
Mr Khan said:
hatmoza said:

39- a not so popular JRPG in the U.S.
Hint- this new installment of the franchise introduced 3 new main characters.

38- Mega Man X5 (PSX)

37- Hint-The most recent release of this long time running Arcade franchise (I believe). Not so popular now, but it was a phenomon that took the world by storm... well maybe not the world, but Japan for sure.

37's gotta be Virtua Fighter 5

Street Fighter 4? Tekken 6?

Around the Network
TruckOSaurus said:
outlawauron said:
Kresnik said:
outlawauron said:
A game with a talking book crept into my top 10 this year. Any guesses?

Nier.

Correct. My avatar is clean giveaway though.

And I was going to guess Wonderbook...

Shame you don't know about Grimoire Weiss.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

12) Prince of Persia: Sands of time - Really fun game with beautiful art style, smooth and fun gameplay. The original prince of persia from 1989 was one of the first games i played and seeing the entire world and concept created with a 3D engine was awe inspiring. 

Scoobes said:
hatmoza said:
Mr Khan said:
hatmoza said:

38- Mega Man X5 (PSX)

37- Hint-The most recent release of this long time running Arcade franchise (I believe). Not so popular now, but it was a phenomon that took the world by storm... well maybe not the world, but Japan for sure.

37's gotta be Virtua Fighter 5

Street Fighter 4? Tekken 6?

WRONG!

I want to see how many word ways I can say no to people :3

@Outlaw

wth is nier?

I am the black sheep     "of course I'm crazy, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong."-Robert Anton Wilson

hatmoza said:

@Outlaw

wth is nier?

A vidya game.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network
hatmoza said:

So far

38- Mega Man X5 (PSX)

37 - Dance Dance Revolution X3 2ndMIX. (Hey, having cartoons on tv that are one decade old have its advantages...)

12. Uncharted 2: Among Thieves (PS3)

The original was good, but didn't even make it onto my list. The sequel on the other hand took everything that made the original good, subtracted the crap and added an extra layer of awesome! Everything in this game just clicked and it acheived everything I want from a story-driven third-person action adventure game. It combined the platforming and puzzles elements of Tomb Raider with the shooting and cover system of Gears but also added a more strategic stealth element to the game rather than relying on the constant spawning of enemies in the original. Not particularly original you might say, but extremely ambitious and very difficult to pull off with the amount of polish they acheived. 

I haven't even mentioned the amazing set-pieces that are quite simply mind-blowing. Gun-fights in a collapsing building, platforming on bombarded debris and an amazing combination of platforming and shooting for the train section. These were all aided with some clever physics, amazing visuals and some of the most beautiful vistas I've ever seen in video games. The views on the mountains and at the top of the hotel are truly amazing. The co-op and multiplayer are also very good fun and works very well, although the single-player is really what makes it for me.

Whilst Uncharted 3 is also a great game Uncharted 2, is where I felt they got the balance, story and polish just right. Lastly, it's set in Nepal for a large portion of the game, and as I'm Nepali by descent, it holds a special place in my heart

#12 - SoulCalibur, the best fighting game ever made. Two made it to the list, of the four I like, which is actually not a bad score for the genre. SoulCalibur however, had something extra compared to the others. Weapons. And awesome weapons at that. The large variety ensured all characters in the game were extremely varied, from fast and short ranged fighters doing little damage to slow and long ranged fighters doing massive damage. The player really needs to learn how to play each character, as they all respond differently. This game was the game that finally convinced us ('the family') to get a SEGA console. Long after, I also got a Mega Drive (Genesis) but it began with the Dreamcast. Sadly, it also ended with the Dreamcast. This is the highest ranking Dreamcast game on the list, and for such a short-lived console it has quite a few games in my top 50. The console was awesome, and contrary to the rest of the world, I had Dreamcast instead of PS2. The graphics were amazing for the time, I still think they're better than PS2's. SoulCalibur was, along with Virtua Tennis, the first really graphically intense game I played. It's looks were out of this world. Although gameplay and the game's mechanics was near perfect too, SoulCalibur taught me, that graphics can be a big deal.

#11 - ?
The first game in a franchise which got out of control this generation.

S.Peelman said:

#12 - SoulCalibur, the best fighting game ever made. Two made it to the list, of the four I like, which is actually not a bad score for the genre. SoulCalibur however, had something extra compared to the others. Weapons. And awesome weapons at that. The large variety ensured all characters in the game were extremely varied, from fast and short ranged fighters doing little damage to slow and long ranged fighters doing massive damage. The player really needs to learn how to play each character, as they all respond differently. This game was the game that finally convinced us ('the family') to get a SEGA console. Long after, I also got a Mega Drive (Genesis) but it began with the Dreamcast. Sadly, it also ended with the Dreamcast. This is the highest ranking Dreamcast game on the list, and for such a short-lived console it has quite a few games in my top 50. The console was awesome, and contrary to the rest of the world, I had Dreamcast instead of PS2. The graphics were amazing for the time, I still think they're better than PS2's. SoulCalibur was, along with Virtua Tennis, the first really graphically intense game I played. It's looks were out of this world. Although gameplay and the game's mechanics was near perfect too, SoulCalibur taught me, that graphics can be a big deal.

#11 - ?
The first game in a franchise which got out of control this generation.

I want to try Call of Duty or Resident Evil

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Remaining clues:

11: This game is the second highest new entry to my list and was the first game to introduce multiplayer to its series.

10: An ambitious game that was 5+ years in the making but has a controversial sequel that did away with a lot of what made the original so enjoyable.

9: This game has been re-released multiple times and spawned numerous spinoffs.

8: This game introduced a new and popular Nintendo character.

7: "Make me feel alive again!"

6: I did not steal your sweetroll! Why do you have a limp?

5: This game featured Yvonne Strahovski on the box art.

4: Patrick Stewart, Sean Bean and gates.

3: "I never asked for this"... but I can punch through walls now!

2: The physics in this game were revolutionary for the time and it has recently won an award for game of the decade.

1: Look at my previous posts. In my first ever VGChartz post I sing its praises. It shouldn't be that difficult to figure out!