By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Your Top 50 Games: 2012 Discussion Thread: FINISH YOUR LISTS

13. Super Mario World (SNES)

There was a time, over a decade ago now, when I knew this game like the back of my hand. I'd found every exit, I'd maxed out my score, I'd got the maximum number of lives, and yet I kept playing. I started challenging myself to playthrough the game within a certain time, or to playthrough without losing a life or various other things like that, and every time I defeated my own challenges, I came up with a new one until I quite simply ran out of ideas to squeeze more life out of the game. This is the true mark of greatness. When you've done everything normally possible within a game, but you enjoy it so much that you push yourself to go above and beyond the norm. Super Mario World was all that and more, and yet, it's still not my favourite Mario game. Not even close...

Number 12 made grown men weep with delight.

VGChartz

Around the Network
Michael-5 said:
Kantor said:

Clue for 13: Main character's name is similar-ish to my username. Long (30 level or so) campaign split into three sections.

Legacy of Kain?

Nope. It's a strategy game and the main character's name is more similar to my username than that.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Kantor said:
Michael-5 said:
Kantor said:

Clue for 13: Main character's name is similar-ish to my username. Long (30 level or so) campaign split into three sections.

Legacy of Kain?

Nope. It's a strategy game and the main character's name is more similar to my username than that.

Command and Conquer 3?

13. Mario Kart 64, N64 (1997) Nintendo

Objectively, this is the worst Mario Kart game on my list, with the worst AI rubberbanding, fewest features, and dullest tracks. However, it was also the second game i ever owned and one of the games responsible for getting me into this hobby in the first place, so it is with incredible nostalgia cred that this claws its way up to number 13.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Number 12 was 9th in its series but the first to appear on home consoles worldwide

Around the Network

#13. Super Mario World (SNES, VC)

Another Mario platformer (not the last one either)! This game took what was already incredible from SMB3 and made it better. First of all, the ability to save your game was very welcomed but there was so much more than that: ghost houses, secret paths, new power ups and Yoshi your faithful dinosaur friend you keep hitting on the back of the head.

The music was great, the world was colorful and flying through a complete level with the cape is so much fun (although a bit broken). I remember beating Bowser on the very first day I got the game (I did play non-stop that day) but luckily there's was still plenty of fun to have with the game once that was done like the special world and some of the craziest and toughest levels around (Tubular I'm looking at you).

Signature goes here!

#12 Hint: Why did they have to make wall jumping so damn hard to pull off? Makes me wanna punch these three alien midgets in the face.

Signature goes here!

TruckOSaurus said:

#13. Super Mario World (SNES, VC)

Another Mario platformer (not the last one either)! This game took what was already incredible from SMB3 and made it better. First of all, the ability to save your game was very welcomed but there was so much more than that: ghost houses, secret paths, new power ups and Yoshi your faithful dinosaur friend you keep hitting on the back of the head.

The music was great, the world was colorful and flying through a complete level with the cape is so much fun (although a bit broken). I remember beating Bowser on the very first day I got the game (I did play non-stop that day) but luckily there's was still plenty of fun to have with the game once that was done like the special world and some of the craziest and toughest levels around (Tubular I'm looking at you).

Blecch. Tubular was horrendous. Everything else in special world was the fun kind of challenging, but Tubular was just mean.

Your number 12 is Super Metroid

Always sounded like those little dicks were laughing at you

Mr Khan said:

Blecch. Tubular was horrendous. Everything else in special world was the fun kind of challenging, but Tubular was just mean.

Your number 12 is Super Metroid

Always sounded like those little dicks were laughing at you

Yeah they're kinda rubbing it in your face too "Look how easy it is for us, you suck!"

Signature goes here!

Player2 said:
Kantor said:
Michael-5 said:
Kantor said:

Legacy of Kain?

Command and Conquer 3?

No, it's not Kain or Kane or Kayne or any variant of that. If you jumble my username a little and add two letters, you get the character's name.

Three races, one added by an expansion, 30-chapter story, cheats feature prominently in the game's fan culture.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective