By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Your Top 50 Games: 2012 Discussion Thread: FINISH YOUR LISTS

TruckOSaurus said:

#13 Hint: To finish this game 100% you had to go up to 96.

Donkey Kong Country 3, 100% is actually 96%.....wait no, 103% is actually 100% in the game (you can beat it more then 100%).

Got it wrong anyway...

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Around the Network
Player2 said:
Michael-5 said:

Michael-5 said:

36. I specifically like the expansion, but this game was the last of the series before it was ruined by becoming a MMO.
Correct Answer: Warcraft 3: The Frozen Throne

48. An under-appreciated SRPG which tells the story of a war from the perspective on honest fighters on both sides of the war. Was released on a Sony platform.
Incorrect Guesses: Valkyria Chronicles

46. A precursor to Modern CoD's, one of the best online shooting franchises. This game was ported to consoles (Specifically ones whose libraries mimic those on PC) after a fair bit of time on PC.
Incorrect Guesses: Day of Deateat, Medal of Honor

43. Often regarded as one of the best games of all time, the main character is an iconic trademark which almost saw exclusivity on an opposing platform. The other platform is not a gaming platform.
Incorrect Guesses: Final Fantasy VII 

40. One of the first true 3D games on a Nintendo cartridge, also the last on this system. Multiplayer was played via split screen, but the image was reduced and played in a fix TV frame.
Incorrect Guesses: Starfox, Winter Gold, Super Mario RPG

39. Of a team of 6, nobody makes it out alive. Prequel to #43.
Incorrect Guesses: F-Zero, Famicom Grand Prix

38. This game almost wasn't localized outside of Japan because Nintendo thought no one would be interested. Good thing NoA changed their mind. Fairly old game.
Incorrect Guesses: XenoBlade Chronicles, The Last Story

34. First platform game in the franchise after an 8 year gap. Made a story where the previous game concluded the series. Since the keytone Species was erradicated, and new species emerges.
Incorrect Guesses: Rayman Origins

33. Most people see me debate why this game is inferior to one higher on my list. Many think I dislike this game.

31. Since this game concluded the trilogy, the next interation, which was made by a new developer saw substantially less hype, and potentially killed the franchise.
Incorrect Guesses: Metroid Prime 3: Corruption

30. EA-FU. Because of EA this game wasn't as good as it could have been.

29. Apparently, what inspired this game was someones garden. I didn't buy it for years, but once I played it, I got hooked.

48 - Front Mission 3.

46 - Unreal Championship.

40 - Stunt Race FX. This was going to be my first choice, but Winter Gold was released later so I went with it.

38 - Earthbound.

29 - Pikmin.

48. Real close, Front Mission 4 was the answer. I just bought 3 this year, excited to give it a try.

46. Nope, Day of Defeat was the closest answer so far.

40 - Yup, is Winter Gold an FX game? I never heard of it.

38. Nope, but that does fit the description. Never beat Earthbound (Only got an hour in)

29 Yup

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database

Smeags said:
Hey, I'm giving you all permission to complete your lists in the Official Thread. I'd like to start tallying votes early this year. ^_^

Other than that, let's keep doing hints and talking about our games on a daily basis here. Kudos to BasilZero for the great idea to start with.

I'll probably finish it when we get to the top 10.

14. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (PC, also on X-box)

Bioware make great RPGs. Mix Bioware and Star Wars and you get the greatest Star Wars game ever created. The game was pretty much an entire Star Wars trilogy wrapped into a single game and even with its own lil' "I am your Father" shock moment. The story was superb, the characters were deep and interesting but still quintessentially Star Wars. The relationship between you and the other characters was still player influenced as with older WRPGs, but were given a new level of polish due to the focus on story and the new graphical hardware available.

Being set 5000 years before the original Star Wars trilogy helped by giving the game greater freedom in comparison to other Star Wars games; not trapped by the original storyline but still balanced within the greatness of the Star Wars universe with lightsabers, force powers and space battles. The sequel didn't make my list this year but is also a great game if unfortunately a little rushed. 

#14 - Lylat Wars, or StarFox 64 in the rest of the world, is a game I've played millions of times. There's just something about about a game that's so short you can get through it in an hour. At that point, it doesn't matter anymore that it's short, because you can replay the game every time trying to do better each time. For reference, 6 hour-short is bad, 1 hour-short is good. This is probably why it's such a perfect fit for the 3DS. Plus the box is a little less intimidating compared to the 'Big-Box' of the N64 version. Anyway, in Europe the original N64 version of the game's called Lylat Wars instead of StarFox because of trademark issues with an old Atari game. The SNES StarFox goes by the name of 'Starwing', but apparently the trademark expired something after the N64 was out because the GameCube StarFox games in Europe are actually called 'StarFox'.

There isn't much to be said that hasn't been already though. The game's awesome. It has everything, from fast paced action to challenging levels. The memorable quotes throughout the game finishes it up nicely! The game features multiple paths to the end which have varying difficulty. Most levels feature some kind of secret to unlock (or rather, proceed) the more difficult (and better) levels.
When I found this out, I search everywhere in all the levels. That is why I could credit this game for being the one that initiated me into looking for secrets, and not leaving any stone... well, asteroid, unturned for the first time in my gaming career. A skill that proved useful during my quest in the game at #1 in this list.

# 13 - ?
I like to think, and the clues are there in the intro cinematic, that this game is about the exploration of the world my country (Netherlands) did a couple of centuries ago.

Around the Network

48. An under-appreciated SRPG which tells the story of a war from the perspective on honest fighters on both sides of the war. Was released on a Sony platform.
Incorrect Guesses: Valkyria Chronicles, Front Mission 3
Correct Answer: Front Mission 4

40. One of the first true 3D games on a Nintendo cartridge, also the last on this system. Multiplayer was played via split screen, but the image was reduced and played in a fix TV frame.
Incorrect Guesses: Starfox, Winter Gold, Super Mario RPG
Correct Answer: Stunt Race FX - I rented this game so many times as a kid, it made more sense to buy it.

29. Apparently, what inspired this game was someones garden. I didn't buy it for years, but once I played it, I got hooked.
Correct Answer: Pikmin

46. A precursor to Modern CoD's (Not the WW2 ones), one of the best online shooting franchises. This game was ported to consoles (Specifically ones whose libraries mimic those on PC) after a fair bit of time on PC.
Incorrect Guesses: Day of Deateat, Medal of Honor, Unreal Tournament

43. Often regarded as one of the best games of all time, the main character is an iconic trademark which almost saw exclusivity on an opposing platform. The other platform is not a gaming platform.
Incorrect Guesses: Final Fantasy VII

39. Of a team of 6, nobody makes it out alive. Prequel to #43.
Incorrect Guesses: F-Zero, Famicom Grand Prix

38. This game almost wasn't localized outside of Japan because Nintendo thought no one would be interested. Good thing NoA changed their mind. Fairly old game. A Spinoff franchise.
Incorrect Guesses: XenoBlade Chronicles, The Last Story, Earthbound

34. First platform game in the franchise after an 8 year gap. Made a story where the previous game concluded the series. Since the keytone Species was erradicated, and new species emerges.
Incorrect Guesses: Rayman Origins

33. Most people see me debate why this game is inferior to one higher on my list. Many think I dislike this game.

31. Since this game concluded the trilogy, the next interation, which was made by a new developer saw substantially less hype, and potentially killed the franchise.
Incorrect Guesses: Metroid Prime 3: Corruption

28. The franchise is named after the system it debuted on, which was a different system in Japan then the rest of the world. This is the first game not on either of those platforms, but the franchise name hasn't changed outside of Japan, and in Japan, it's now named after an even older system.

27. This game looks and plays like Miami Vice (The Movie)

26. The creator of this game is well known for misplaced or ending quests, it's his newest game.

Clue for 13: This strategy game was the first game developed by a now defunct studio.

Scoobes said:
Clue for 13: This strategy game was the first game developed by a now defunct studio.

Age of Empires?

Michael-5 said:

(..)

46. A precursor to Modern CoD's (Not the WW2 ones), one of the best online shooting franchises. This game was ported to consoles (Specifically ones whose libraries mimic those on PC) after a fair bit of time on PC.
Incorrect Guesses: Day of Deateat, Medal of Honor, Unreal Tournament

(..)

(..)

30: Mass Effect 3

46: Wolfenstein 3D

You have some hard to guess games .

S.Peelman said:
Scoobes said:

Age of Empires?

5 minutes?! Well done I'll have to think of some better clues for the rest. That was embarrasingly quick.