By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Your Top 50 Games: 2012 Discussion Thread: FINISH YOUR LISTS

Michael-5 said:

36. I specifically like the expansion, but this game was the last of the series before it was ruined by becoming a MMO.
Correct Answer: Warcraft 3: The Frozen Throne

48. An under-appreciated SRPG which tells the story of a war from the perspective on honest fighters on both sides of the war. Was released on a Sony platform.
Incorrect Guesses: Valkyria Chronicles

46. A precursor to CoD, one of the best online shooting franchises. This game was ported to consoles (Specifically ones whose libraries mimic those on PC) after a fair bit of time on PC.
Incorrect Guesses: Day of Deateat, Medal of Honor

43. Often regarded as one of the best games of all time, the main character is an iconic trademark which almost saw exclusivity on an opposing platform. The other platform is not a gaming platform.
Incorrect Guesses: Final Fantasy VII

40. One of the first true 3D games on a Nintendo cartridge, also the last on this system. Multiplayer was played via split screen, but the image was reduced and played in a fix TV frame.
Incorrect Guesses: Starfox, Winter Gold, Super Mario RPG

39. Of a team of 6, nobody makes it out alive. Prequel to #43.
Incorrect Guesses: F-Zero, Famicom Grand Prix

38. This game almost wasn't localized outside of Japan because Nintendo thought no one would be interested. Good thing NoA changed their mind. Fairly old game.
Incorrect Guesses: XenoBlade Chronicles, The Last Story

34. First platform game in the franchise after an 8 year gap. Made a story where the previous game concluded the series. Since the keytone Species was erradicated, and new species emerges.
Incorrect Guesses: Rayman Origins

33. Most people see me debate why this game is inferior to one higher on my list. Many think I dislike this game.

31. Since this game concluded the trilogy, the next interation, which was made by a new developer saw substantially less hype, and potentially killed the franchise.
Incorrect Guesses: Metroid Prime 3: Corruption

30. EA-FU. Because of EA this game wasn't as good as it could have been.

29. Apparently, what inspired this game was someones garden. I didn't buy it for years, but once I played it, I got hooked.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Around the Network

5 people have finished their lists (I don't mind if you do, but I do find it more fun to discuss one a day) for some reason or another.

Already at 194 unique games as well. Tallying all this sure will be fun. @_@

Smeags said:
5 people have finished their lists (I don't mind if you do, but I do find it more fun to discuss one a day) for some reason or another.

Hit me up with your methodology, brah.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Smeags said:

How do you tally them, just number of votes, or weighted against what number they are?

Mr Khan said:
Smeags said:

Hit me up with your methodology, brah.

I forgot that my method gets messed up if we try to split the workload. I need every single potential game available in order to correctly tally the votes/points, so even if one game is missing (say you got a voter with a unique game not in my grouping of voters), the whole thing goes kaput.

Looks like I'm doin' this one by myself...

Around the Network
Kresnik said:
Smeags said:

How do you tally them, just number of votes, or weighted against what number they are?

It's a sort of weighted system.

#1 gets 1 point
#50 gets 50 points.
Game not on your list (that's perhaps on someone else's list) gets 75 points.

The lower the score the better obviously. It's a system that rewards consistancy across voters, and not just position.

It's not the perfect system, but it's the one that works the best in this situation.

Smeags said:
Kresnik said:
Smeags said:

It's a sort of weighted system.

#1 gets 1 point
#50 gets 50 points.
Game not on your list (that's perhaps on someone else's list) gets 75 points.

The lower the score the better.

It's not the perfect system, but it's the one that works the best in this situation.

Hmm. There would be two easier ways to do it, which could allow for splitting workload

1: Fractions. Number 1 gets 1 point, number 2 gets 1/2 point, number 25 gets 1/25 of a point, and you could just do addition straight across, highest number wins.

2: Inversion, with no account for "game not on list," where number 1 gets 50 points, number 2, 49, and number 49, 2.

Unless you're trying to weight against unique games that don't make multiple appearances?

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Mr Khan said:

Hmm. There would be two easier ways to do it, which could allow for splitting workload

1: Fractions. Number 1 gets 1 point, number 2 gets 1/2 point, number 25 gets 1/25 of a point, and you could just do addition straight across, highest number wins.

2: Inversion, with no account for "game not on list," where number 1 gets 50 points, number 2, 49, and number 49, 2.

Unless you're trying to weight against unique games that don't make multiple appearances?

Yeah, the bolded is the system I've been using the past two years. I just want a system that rewards every game on a list, including #50. So I reward consistency across voters.

*shrugs* I've dug my own grave. Might as well enjoy it.

Smeags said:
Mr Khan said:

Yeah, the bolded is the system I've been using the past two years. I just want a system that rewards every game on a list, including #50. So I reward consistency across voters.

*shrugs* I've dug my own grave. Might as well enjoy it.

My list has around 800 unique games, sadly I keep making mistakes that I may or may not notice so I have almost no confidence in the accuracy.

Primarily an RPG player but have interest in any game that will make me think. 

15. Fire Emblem (2003)

Up from 21st, this probably qualifies as my favorite tactical RPG. Winning an individual battle was one thing but keeping the characters you want alive and leveling properly forced you to adjust your strategies when an important ally is in trouble.  In aaddition the range of main characters, weapons, and classes adds excellent depth to the experience.  The game wouldn't let you just build up one super powered character so making sure your team was well balanced was an important par of progressing through the game.  I loved the story and elements such as support keep the strategy from becoming too stale.  This one of very few games I've wanted to play through more than once because the difficulties actually add something to the game instead of just having to do the exact same thing better.

Primarily an RPG player but have interest in any game that will make me think.