By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Your Top 50 Games: 2012 Discussion Thread: FINISH YOUR LISTS

16. Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater (PS2, remade in HD on PS3 and 360)

I was a little disappointed with Metal Gear Solid 2 and so I didn't bother playing this one immediately. After it went platinum I purchased it and realised I had missed out on an amazing game. It retained the gameplay that made Metal Gear Solid great, but evolved it for the new jungle environment. It also got rid of the radar and added a camouflage system due to the older technology in its cold war time period. The graphics as well were some of the best on PS2 and when played on an upscaled BC PS3 are still superior to a good number of early HD titles (let alone in the new MGS HD collection).

However, what really pushes this game to no. 16 is the storyline and the bosses. A common theme in Metal Gear is the relationship between mentor and student and here we learn of the relationship between Naked Snake (soon to be Big Boss) and his mentor The Boss. The ending is one of the most emotional I've seen/played in video games but also opens a range of questions for MGS4 whilst explaining some of the questions posed in MGS 1 & 2.

MGS boss fights are always spectacular, and MGS3 doesn't dissappoint. For this though, all I'll say is "The End" and "Ultimate sniper battle!".

Around the Network

Clue for 15: Hugely influential and was recently remade in mod form.

Scoobes said:

Half Life/Black Mesa. 

axumblade said:
Scoobes said:

half life?

Correct!

green_sky said:
Scoobes said:

Half Life/Black Mesa. 

And also correct!

Around the Network
Kantor said:

Correct! That was fast.

Was on my list too.  Although a little lower down.

And I don't know that many games where women shout and you worship stone heads :P

#16 - Super Mario Galaxy is better than it's successor. It is. Though it doesn't feature Yoshi, it does have a regular open hub-world, which a 3D Mario should have. I don't like the 2D-style level selection that is present in the 3D Mario's after Galaxy. That said, Galaxy is brilliant. Level design in this game is unparalleled and technically the game goes far beyond what the Wii could do. Of course, it's successor went even further, but I can't stress the level selection issue enough. Also, what's special in this game, is that it finally took the story element in a Mario game a bit further. For those who don't care, you could ignore it, but for those who looked, they found a fairly fleshed out and even emotional little story tucked away in some dusty books. Complete with beautiful hand-drawings! Because I like good hand-drawings and paintings, details like this are to me, always very special.

15 - ?
Sometime after release, the popularity of this game shot up to impossible heights and became a world-wide phenomenon when it's concept was introduced in another media.

• 17) MGS 3: Snake Eater (PS2) - I enjoy the convuluted story of MGS but not when it goes as bizzare as MGS2. So when i played MGS3 my expectations were bit down. I was surprised by the new settings and the variations it brought to the gameplay. I also really liked the characters and boss fights. The soundtrack was amazing as always and final scene brought a tear or two. Salute to the boss. 
  • 16) Batman: Arkham Asylum (PS3) - Super hero games pretty much were horrible and not many expected much from them other than cheap cash in.  I managed to pick this title on launch day and was somewhat optimistic to see another take on one of my favourite comic book heroes. It is safe to say that it was the best superhero/comic hero game to date. The combat was fluid, the gadgets were all there and villains were oh so well done. The voice acting and refinement put into the game made it one of the best game for me. 
I am bad at hints. Hmm lets give a try for #15.  The game's story and world is inspired by the philosophy of objectivism. 

green_sky said:

• 17) MGS 3: Snake Eater (PS2) - I enjoy the convuluted story of MGS but not when it goes as bizzare as MGS2. So when i played MGS3 my expectations were bit down. I was surprised by the new settings and the variations it brought to the gameplay. I also really liked the characters and boss fights. The soundtrack was amazing as always and final scene brought a tear or two. Salute to the boss. 
  • 16) Batman: Arkham Asylum (PS3) - Super hero games pretty much were horrible and not many expected much from them other than cheap cash in.  I managed to pick this title on launch day and was somewhat optimistic to see another take on one of my favourite comic book heroes. It is safe to say that it was the best superhero/comic hero game to date. The combat was fluid, the gadgets were all there and villains were oh so well done. The voice acting and refinement put into the game made it one of the best game for me. 
I am bad at hints. Hmm lets give a try for #15.  The game's story and world is inspired by the philosophy of objectivism. 

BioShock.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

S.Peelman said:

#16 - Super Mario Galaxy is better than it's successor. It is. Though it doesn't feature Yoshi, it does have a regular open hub-world, which a 3D Mario should have. I don't like the 2D-style level selection that is present in the 3D Mario's after Galaxy. That said, Galaxy is brilliant. Level design in this game is unparalleled and technically the game goes far beyond what the Wii could do. Of course, it's successor went even further, but I can't stress the level selection issue enough. Also, what's special in this game, is that it finally took the story element in a Mario game a bit further. For those who don't care, you could ignore it, but for those who looked, they found a fairly fleshed out and even emotional little story tucked away in some dusty books. Complete with beautiful hand-drawings! Because I like good hand-drawings and paintings, details like this are to me, always very special.

15 - ?
Sometime after release, the popularity of this game shot up to impossible heights and became a world-wide phenomenon when it's concept was introduced in another media.

Pokemon Red and Blue

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.