By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Your Top 50 Games: 2012 Discussion Thread: FINISH YOUR LISTS

The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask

Perhaps forever destined to be overshadowed by its N64 counterpart, Ocarina of Time, Majora’s Mask is a masterwork in its own right, one that actually improves upon its predecessor in several ways. Majora’s Mask is set in Termina, a region threatened with destruction by a giant foreboding moon. Link has 72 game hours to search dungeons, find artifacts, and recover masks before the moon destroys Termina; when the 72 hours near completion, Link can play the Song of Time and return to 6 AM on the first day. Players repeat this three-day cycle until all the game’s objectives are complete. Where masks were largely secondary in Ocarina of Time, they are essential to progress in Majora’s Mask. Using masks, Link can transform into a Deku Scrub, a Goron, and a Zora.

Around the Network
Veknoid_Outcast said:
Kresnik said:
Clue for my #16 - Three-quel (and final mainline entry in the series so far) which shifted the action from the city to the desert and gave our heroes new powers.

Jak 3?

Bingo.

17. Super Mario World, SNES (1991) GBA (2002) Nintendo (last year 22)

The only game to move up on my list this year, due largely to how the hype for NSMBU showed me just how much i missed this game and its style: the open overworld with multiple routes and secret exits, the secret Star World and the secret beyond the secret. Here was a game that pushed platforming skill hard, but also made you really think, and had a delightfully fanciful world in the bargain. For now, this is the supreme 2D Mario game.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

# 16: Ten years before the game that inspired the machinima series Red vs Blue, there was this game, which had a similar premise, and which, through the awesome power of fusion, could enhance other games.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

The capitalised letters were BAC, for Batman Arkham City.

17) Batman: Arkham City (PS3 / 2011 / Action Adventure)

I thought Asylum was highly overrated, but Arkham City is one of my favourite games this generation. The melee combat was already great, and they improved it further, but they also improved the stealth gameplay, added in more characters and a far larger open world, and generally crafted an extremely well-made game.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Around the Network
Mr Khan said:
# 16: Ten years before the game that inspired the machinima series Red vs Blue, there was this game, which had a similar premise, and which, through the awesome power of fusion, could enhance other games.

Well, that game is obviously Halo.

So looking at FPS from 1991 or thereabouts: Doom? Wolfenstein 3D?

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Mr Khan said:

I am seriously baffled by this one. I thought maybe it could be Sonic & Knuckles, but the years and premises don't match up.

It could be Wolfenstein 3D, but what is the "fusion"?

Although the guesses were good, the game I was talking about was...

#17. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1, PSN)

I love everything about this game even the oh so bad voice acting. The game was vastly different from any other Castlevania game I had played before but it never felt out of place in the series (something I cannot say about Lords of Shadows however good that game was). The controls were tight, the enemies were varied, the boss fights were plenty, the music was incredible, Dracula's Castle was huge and just when you thought you had done it all you stumbled into the upside-down castle realizing you had really only crossed the half-way point.

The game featured a Metroid-style environment where you need certain powerups to proceed, yes that meant a lot of backtracking but I think it makes getting a new power much more interesting when you instantly think "I know where I can use this!".

I'll you with this deep thought provoking question: What is a man?

Signature goes here!

@Khan

Gotta be Sonic & Knuckles. Lock-On Technology for the win!

Also, here's my brother's complete list. ^_^

50 Spider-Man 2 GCN
49 Tony Hawk's Pro Skater N64
48 FIFA Soccer 13 X360
47 Animal Crossing GCN
46 Soul Calibur IV X360
45 Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter X360
44 Pikmin 2 GCN
43 NFL Blitz N64
42 007: Nightfire GCN
41 Grand Theft Auto IV X360
40 The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim PC
39 Pokemon Stadium N64
38 Banjo-Kazooie N64
37 Banjo-Tooie N64
36 Gears of War X360
35 Resident Evil 4 GCN
34 Pokemon Snap N64
33 Assassin's Creed X360
32 Sonic & Knuckles Genesis
31 Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock Wii
30 Diddy Kong Racing N64
29 Luigi's Mansion GCN
28 Super Smash Bros. Brawl Wii
27 StarCraft/Brood War PC
26 Pokemon Gold/Silver GB
25 Marvel vs. Capcom 2 Arcade
24 Mario Kart: Double Dash!! GCN
23 Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones GBA
22 Mario Party N64
21 GoldenEye 007 N64
20 Batman: Arkham City X360
19 TimeSplitters: Future Perfect GCN
18 Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door GCN
17 Super Mario Sunshine GCN
16 Metal Slug Arcade
15 Mortal Kombat II Genesis
14 Star Fox 64 N64
13 WarCraft III: Reign of Chaos/The Frozen Throne PC
12 Heroes of Might & Magic III PC
11 Super Smash Bros. Melee GCN
10 Halo 3 X360
9 Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare X360
8 The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time N64
7 Super Mario 64 N64
6 Call of Duty 2 X360
5 Super Smash Bros. N64
4 Mario Kart 64 N64
3 NBA 2K13 X360
2 Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow GB
1 Red Dead Redemption X360

#16 Hint: This game's quotes are so iconic that Google made an Easter Egg for one of them.

Signature goes here!