By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii U have an automatic shutoff feature (60 min "afk"), it can be turned off / adjustable time

Be careful when you pause a Wii U game - it just might cost you.

Nintendo's new system features an 'automatic shutoff' feature, which turns off the system "if there has been no input for a set period of time," according to the system's manual. Here's the catch - a lack of input is still counted when a game is running and paused. We know - we had the system shut off on us when we left the system alone and came back after 90 minutes. System - off. Game progress - lost. By default, this option is activated, and appears to be set to activate after an hour, as we painfully learned.

All is not lost, however. This is able to be adjusted within the system options. You can turn the feature off entirely, or simply adjust the range of 'idle time' the system needs to register. All in all it's not a big deal - unless you don't know it exists. Then you might find yourself replaying a significant portion of a game, as we just did.

http://nintendoevery...an-be-adjusted/

Around the Network

The X360 also have it, and I am not sure if the PS3 have it. It should be something all consoles should have because acidents with consoles staying up for days and started a fire were not that uncommon in the past..

I actually really like this feature and use it on PS3, I'm kind of an energy-saving freak.

Neat-o, something for me to use whenever I feel like going to fall asleep on a game... ;)

And proud member of the Mega Mario Movement!

"All in all it's not a big deal - unless you don't know it exists." That's pretty much all that needs to be said. Hopefully it's well documented and doesn't catch many people by surprise.

Around the Network

This should be good actually. Who leaves their console unattended for 60+ min? Unless they're taking the greatest dump in their life or they just simply forgot.

I don't have to worry about falling asleep and leaving my console on. I remember the days I've fallen asleep and waking a few hours later to know that it's 3-4 0 clock in the morning. I brush my teeth go back to bed and wake up to find out that my Wii (and n64) has been on all night running Super Smash Bros.

Red4ADevil said:
This should be good actually. Who leaves their console unattended for 60+ hours?

*slowly raises hand*

please.. what kinda feature is this... we TRUE gamers have mommy to shut down our consoles when left unattended

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

IIIIITHE1IIIII said:
Red4ADevil said:
This should be good actually. Who leaves their console unattended for 60+ min?

*slowly raises hand*

lol Don'y worry I sort of half kidding. With the other half being out of curiosity.

Red4ADevil said:
This should be good actually. Who leaves their console unattended for 60+ hours? Unless they're taking the greatest dump in their life or they just simply forgot.

I don't have to worry about falling asleep and leaving my console on. I remember the days I've fallen asleep and waking a few hours later to know that it's 3-4 0 clock in the morning. I brush my teeth go back to bed and wake up to find out that my Wii (and n64) has been on all night running Super Smash Bros.

If you mean minutes, then I've done it.  Sometimes real life interrupts.  Someone will call, a friend will come to the door, I'll go to look something up and forget I had a game going.