By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - 2012 Election Center: The Main Event - Obama Wins

Of the two main candidates for president, who will win?

Barack Obama 245 75.85%

Mitt Romney 73 22.60%

Total:318
Kasz216 said:
Mr Khan said:
haxxiy said:
Mr Khan said:

( )

Yo Mr Khan, what are your thoughts about the elections?

Mostly pleased, except for the shellacing my congressional candidate (Pennsylvania 3rd district) got. The one i was working for.

Anyway... I think the general theme of this election is that the Republicans have flung themselves too far to the right. I mean, i won't deny that Obama's overseen a period economically comparable to the hated 1970s, and some of that may have been his fault (though in all objectivity, partisan obstructionism on both sides is a big part of our gridlock as well), but while the Democrats are willing to move to the middle, the Republicans clearly aren't. The embrace of some of the more radical economic policies, as well as their extreme slants on gays and reproductive rights have completely screwed them over. I mean, look at Todd Akin, who got his ass whomped over his rape comments even though McCaskill (his opponent) was not very well-liked in Missouri.

Similarly, we have Richard Mourdock from Indiana. He beat the Republican senator, Lugar, in the primaries, because Indiana Republicans didn't like Lugar's willingness to work across the aisle, and then his stupid rape comments caused the Republicans to lose one of their coveted Senate seats entirely.

It's clear. The Republicans need to focus on common-sense reforms and abandon their extreme stances on the economy and wedge issues, or face irrelevence. I mean, if they can't beat Obama under these conditions, their only hope (other than changing themselves) is that the global economic meltdown comes in the next four years.

Social issues I can see...

Economic issues though... in general voters seemed to trust republicans more.  Romney actually had the lead for "Who do you trust to fix the economy."

At the end of the day I think the republicans lost because their exclusionary social polices led to too many "automatic exclusion" votes.

Essentially Democrats are mostly playing to a full field, while abortion, and just in general beliefs about racism more or less limit republicans mostly to just white men.  Which is basically who Romney won.

See my latter reply to haxxiy. While i personally abhor their economic policies, i still think the Republicans are honestly going too far for what a lot of Americans want. Some of their proposals are common-sense, mainstream stuff, like flattening the tax code while shutting down loopholes, while other things are stuff the average American doesn't want, like complete deregulation or the gutting of social programs.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network
Mr Khan said:

See my latter reply to haxxiy. While i personally abhor their economic policies, i still think the Republicans are honestly going too far for what a lot of Americans want. Some of their proposals are common-sense, mainstream stuff, like flattening the tax code while shutting down loopholes, while other things are stuff the average American doesn't want, like complete deregulation or the gutting of social programs.

I think you'd be surprised on some of that stuff.  A  LOT of people are bitter about unions.  As union membership drops, so does support for them.  Essentially only those who benefit from them tend to support them.

As for complete deregulation and gutting of social programs... i'd say those are more your views on their polices then their actual policies.

Additionally... americans don't want any touching of social programs.  They also don't want anything to fund them.  On social programs... people just want a free lunch.  It's a valuable short term plank i guess... but long term it's just dangerous.  There isn't any responsible position on Social Programs other tehn an unpopular one.

It's actually sad because had we invested surpluses instead of put the money in worthless accounting tricks like government IOUs... we'd likely still have tons of money to pay for these things with some pretty good profits.

Kasz216 said:
Mr Khan said:

I think you'd be surprised on some of that stuff.  A  LOT of people are bitter about unions.  As union membership drops, so does support for them.  Essentially only those who benefit from them tend to support them.

As for complete deregulation and gutting of social programs... i'd say those are more your views on their polices then their actual policies.

Additionally... americans don't want any touching of social programs.  They also don't want anything to fund them.  On social programs... people just want a free lunch.  It's a valuable short term plank i guess... but long term it's just dangerous.  There isn't any responsible position on Social Programs other tehn an unpopular one.

It's actually sad because had we invested surpluses instead of put the money in worthless accounting tricks like government IOUs... we'd likely still have tons of money to pay for these things with some pretty good profits.

"Kill the Department of Energy" and "Kill the EPA" are not calls for complete deregulation?

Although this could be a case where their rhetoric makes their intent sound more severe than what they would actually do, but if its convincing voters that such is their intent, then the result is the same.

TheShape31 said:
Dodece said:
@Electoral College

The United States is a Union. Each state has a right to allocate its votes as it sees fit. Not just to benefit the nation as a whole, but in the way that is most beneficial to the state. When a state casts its votes as a block it is making the case to a national candidate that they have to work hard to win that block of votes. That means doing more for that state. Whereas if a state chooses to parcel its vote based on the popular vote the national candidate is almost sure to put far less effort into appeasing the citizens of that state.

To put it mildly a bigger prize won narrowly carries more weight then a prize where you can get just a sliver more then the other guy. That means that splitting your states vote actually reduces your leverage in a election. Your vote becomes worth less. Even more important then that however is the following. Every person in a given state is valued whether they vote for a candidate or not.

You may dismiss those that refuse to vote out of hand, but that is a choice they are making. Not participating isn't a argument for them being devalued. When you vote in a block vote their voting power is added to your own. So even if they aren't voting. Their welfare is still being safe guarded by you the voter. When you block vote you all speak as one, and that means the national candidate has to pay more attention to you. Whether you are excited, or outright lethargic about the contest.

The Electoral College does its job, and the members take their jobs seriously. It isn't just about being a delivery man. They exist to act as a bulwark against the unanticipated. They ensure that no matter what we will have a continuation of leadership. Thankfully we have never had to rely on that back up, but it is good that we have one in place.

Hey I have nothing against a popular vote system, and I actively encourage you to petition your State government to enact such a system for your state. That said who are you to tell my State how it should, or should not vote. If you want to waste your vote go right ahead, and I will gladly accept the value add that my vote will get in return for that. Leave my State out of your crazy little scheme.

I think it's interesting how much people stick up for the electoral college like this.  You come off as a politician.  The truth of the matter is that the Three-Fifths Compromise counted a slave as 3/5 of a human being.  This was agreed upon in 1787.  The electoral college was created in order to take power away from certain portions of the population.  This was created in 1787.  Interesting how it's the same year.  The college was created in order to make sure there was an imbalance of power, and that the minorities in the United States would never be fully counted.  This is the people's history, the true history.  Continue politicking.

Um....no. The 3/5 compromise was added to appease the South, who wanted greater representation in the House. The slaves couldn't vote, based on property requirement adopted at the state level, at the time of the ratification of the Constitution. The 3/5 compromise was intended to inflate the population of the South, hence, give them greater power in the House.

The Electoral College had multiple purposes. First, it ensured a federal, rather than a national system. This was an attempt to appease the smaller states, as well as state's rights activists, who feared a national government with too much power. Second, the Founders were elitists and didn't want the masses too control the electoral process, hence, why voters actually vote for delegates, who then cast votes. The delegates did not necessarily have to follow the wishes of the electorate. This made it so that the government would be protected from the "passions of the masses." Now, as we have seen, this elitist attitude has dissipated throughout history, although it hasn't been a linear or quick process. Nevertheless, the expansion of the franchise has occured. The reason the Electoral College is still around is because of Federalism, not because of elitism or an attempt to discount minorities.

Mr Khan said:
Kasz216 said:
Mr Khan said:

"Kill the Department of Energy" and "Kill the EPA" are not calls for complete deregulation?

Although this could be a case where their rhetoric makes their intent sound more severe than what they would actually do, but if its convincing voters that such is their intent, then the result is the same.

I literally did not here either of those things during the campaign... or anybody remotely talking about those things.   If I didn't... i'm guessing the average person hasn't either.

A quick look at Romney's campaign site which is still up talks about how he would stop Obama's underminding of the Department of Energy and get them back to their basic research goals and reason for existing.

So, he clearly didn't want to kill it.

http://aboutmittromney.com/energy.htm

And looking at the EPA it looked like people were trying to block who he would appoint as EPA head... which shows he planned to keep that around as well.

So again... I think this is less an issue of what republicans are saying, but what you interpret republicans as saying based on your political position.

Around the Network
Kasz216 said:
Mr Khan said:

I literally did not here either of those things during the campaign... or anybody remotely talking about those things.   If I didn't... i'm guessing the average person hasn't either.

A quick look at Romney's campaign site which is still up talks about how he would stop Obama's underminding of the Department of Energy and get them back to their basic research goals and reason for existing.

And looking at the EPA it looked like people were trying to block who he would appoint as EPA head... which shows he planned to keep that around as well.

So again... I think this is less an issue of what republicans are saying, but what you interpret republicans as saying based on your political position.

I was thinking of Rick Perry at that point.

Fair enough.

Mr Khan said:
Kasz216 said:
Mr Khan said:

I was thinking of Rick Perry at that point.

Fair enough.

What's funny is... I bet 2000 Al Gore would of agreed with him that Social Security is essentially a Ponzi Scheme.

I know I'm late to the party, but congrats(and thank god) for him being re-elected

that being said, shame on republicans for their dirty tactics, all that voting suppression in swings states was disgusting, voting should not have you waiting in line for 5-7+ hours. no wonder they got smacked around last night,(that and their views on women)

and who would've thought that I would watch Fox news for the majority of the day :p did anyone see when Ohio went to Obama making him the winner! the look on their face was as if Karl Rove stripped naked and did Gangnam Stlye!! it was RICH!!!

Boeing announces lay offs the day after the election...

Max King of the Wild said:
Boeing announces lay offs the day after the election...

Dow Jones drops 300 points, too.

I wonder if its investors deliberately shorting the market to try and make Democrats look bad, or if some investors have it so firmly fixed in their mind that Democrats are shite for business (which doesn't really bear out over the last century. Wilson was good times, FDR saw consistent improvement over his run, Truman was kinda bad, Kennedy and Johnson were at the height of American economic dominance, Carter was during stagflation (but that started under Nixon), and Clinton with the roaring 90s.