By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - anyone else think AC: Liberation is a failure?

So I downloaded AC3:Liberation for my Vita yesterday. I only got to spend an hour with the game but I already regret my purchase. I did read reviews and so I expected some of these issues, but I'm suprised by how bad they all turned out to be.

-Terrible frame rate issues. literally, I don't think I've played the game for more then 30seconds without the frame rate dropping far below 30FPS.

-Horrible load times/ frequency- The game loads way too frequently, even cutscenes are interupted by loadtimes.

- As i said I'm only an hour in but the story telling so far has been abysmal. Cutscenes are awkward rushed affairs, which wilI have you looking back at the trailers and congragulating Ubisoft for creating such deceptive videos which give of the impression that this is a cinematic game.

-Pathetic sound design. Not only are most sound effects out of  sync, some are compltely missing which especially noticable during fights and when sorrounding by NPC's which are supposed to be speakin. The quality of the sound itself would have you believe it you were playing a psp.

-Possibly my biggest dissapointment is the graphics. My dissapointment comes from the deceptive stills and trailers Ubisoft released which clearly were not running on the Vita itself, as they feature crisp visuals which have gone through strong anti-aliasing and being presented to you at a resolution the game doesn't run at. The game looks like an impressive wii title with a few shaders here and there. There are tons of bold ugly jaggies and the textures aren't very impressive.

AC1 was a flawed game but this makes it look like a masterpiece. 

Had a console ps2/GC game been released with all the  technical/presentation  flaws of this game and it would be universally panned. Its seems many critics are giving it a pass because it is the 1st of its kind on a handheld. As you can tell I'm very annoyed and dissapointed. Ubisoft managed to avoid suspision with smartly presented previews but this was clearly a rushed, 2nd rate effort which have been have a really good game had they taken another 6 months to tidy it up. To me this is really worrying, it seems no western 3rd partys do't care about the games they bring to the Vita, all they see is an opportunity for money. The only hope for the PsVita is Japanese 3rd partys (who all prefer the 3DS) and Sony's 1st parties who are prioritising ps3 and probably ps4.

EDIT: I just found out that apatch has been released, which improves it s performance somewhat.

Around the Network

interesting read, thanx

Vita really needs stronger support than this to float. I'm sorry to hear this game was such a disappointment for you. Ubisoft is known for releasing shoddy work, unfortunately.

Need for speed most wanted on Vita seems absolutely amazing.. and a lot of reviews have said AC III Lib is amazing.. on vita.. and very impressive on the graphics front.. almost on par with AC on consoles..

mM

Not a failure, but a disappointment for sure and far from the triumph Vita needs. I was thinking of buying... you've added to the list of reasons not to.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
I disagree with your conclusion. I don't think that Western third parties see an opportunity for money in the Vita and Japanese third parties are more in love with the PSP than anything else.

The western approach to mobile gaming as a whole is essentially about grabbing a quick buck. I see a lot of western developers announce IOS spin offs when those games would obiously work better on a 3DS or Vita (mass effect, borderlands, deadspace).

kowenicki said:
leo-j said:
Need for speed most wanted on Vita seems absolutely amazing.. and a lot of reviews have said AC III Lib is amazing.. on vita.. and very impressive on the graphics front.. almost on par with AC on consoles..

Metacritic is 72. 

The "amazing" reviews are the exception. 

OT

That's sounds like a badly made and rushed mess. 

http://youtu.be/yj9r9e59gq4?hd=1

right..

mM

To say it looks like a crisp Wii game.. truly derails your entire thread..

mM
kowenicki said:
leo-j said:
kowenicki said:
leo-j said:

Metacritic is 72. 

The "amazing" reviews are the exception. 

OT

http://youtu.be/yj9r9e59gq4?hd=1

right..

Frame rate issues are mentioned in quite a few reviews.  What do you want me to say, all reviews are wrong except the excellent ones? 

Even playstation universe that gave it an 8, refer to "numerous glitches throughout" (not sure how they gave it an eight after that comment - but hey).

you got the game Leo? 

I don't want you to say anything.. I'm responding to this thread..

and I'm well aware of the numerous glitches.. and no I do not own the game.. but I will be getting the game very soon.. and they gave it an 8 because as you can see in that video.. the glitches aren't rampant throughout the entire game..

mM
kowenicki said:

Going by the metacritic score, it is not a "badly made and rushed mess", it's a good game with significant flaws.