By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Equal rights movement has gone too far

@ Jspence. This topic was posted in the appropriate section for off topic threads.
@Cryoakira. Of course It would be impossible for two parents to stay home. I was just saying that a parent should stay at home, and since women are generally better nurturers, they would be more apt to the task. Theres nothing wrong with that.
@Godf. I suppose I misnamed my thread. The original thought was that the equal rights movement for women has given "homemaker" a negative connotation.

Edit your signature or you will be banned. Aww :(

Around the Network

I think a lot of conservatives, because they approach politics in a rather emotional, reactionary manner, get confused about what it is they're talking about. To them, stating their preferences can be the same as saying "This is how people should live".

Are you actually suggesting any legislative changes? Or are you just informing us of the fact that you want to marry a woman who'd give up her career to raise you children?

dtekdahl00 said:
I don't disagree with anyone here in this particular thread, I'm just having a heck of a time tryiing to make a point without coming off sexist....

thats because you are. its like feedforwarding a comment with "im not racist, but....." generally if youre having that tough of a time not sounding like something you most definately are. You can say anything you want, but its the substance of what youre saying that defines you, if you werent sexist you wouldnt have to explain how youre not, it would be obvious....which it clearly isnt, thus youre sexist.

christian alert!

''Hadouken!''

I'm sorry, but what are proposing exactly? I see a lot of complaints, but no real solutions to your perceived problem. You might have made some, but your posts are too painful to read in detail.

Should women be forced to stay home with their kids by law or the threat of social ostracism? I can assure you that no such law will ever be passed in a modern Western country, and that the great majority of people are not about to agree with you.

If you think women should choose to stay at home with their kids, then you are free to try and persuade them as strongly as you can within the limits of the law.

I believe there are more differences between individuals of one gender than between the genders, and that the most qualified to nurture children will naturally gravitate to such activities, but there's nothing stopping you from telling everyone you disagree. I would suggest you try it elsewhere, though, since very few of our members are current, or soon-to-be mothers. =P

Around the Network

Wow, this is just irritating on multiple levels...

dtekdahl makes a decent point. Women and Men are different. Men cannot get pregnant, Men aren't exactly qualified candidates for breastfeeding, and there are also differences in the physiology that mean men are generally better qualified for certain tasks and women are generally better qualified for other tasks. It's this dichotomy that makes the Man/Woman relationship such a useful thing.

However, there has been this push for "equality" and even in those cases where the people are actually pushing for true equality, and not for special privileges, I still think there are problems associated with this push.

The problem lies in the difficulty of weighing the "equality" of two completely different creatures. Both have entirely different strengths and weaknesses. If you view every single one of these, then I'm certain people would already find that Women and Men are already quite equal, but the problem is that people are only looking at specific aspects for the basis of judging equality.
This poses the problem that women are being pushed, whether literally or merely from perception, to achieve in areas that aren't necessarily part of their strengths, but also often at the expense of of other important aspects of their identity as a woman.

Perhaps this is merely anecdotal evidence, but I've heard of a number of cases where very successful women have not been happy in their success, as it often involved quite a bit of sacrifice of their time as mother/wife etc.
Women are generally more emotional than men, and this is not a bad thing. I know it is often my fiance that helps work me out of my shell to ensure we maintain a constant line of communication, and this has done a great deal to ensure the success of our relationship. However, this also will, again in general, leave women much harder pressed to deal with extended periods away from their family with long business hours and that type of daily stress.
Another thing I notice is that women generally are far better at letting go of stress than men are, but ONLY if they have an outlet for that stress, either by talking to someone or venting their frustrations in some other manner. Men tend to hold in stress, but are also able to suppress the need for an outlet, which can help ensure better business relations. Of course, without ANY outlet, this can easily lead to problems with health and eventually reach a breaking point to where the built up stress simply boils over.

I will wrap up these points simply by stating that yes, Women and Men are equal. Yet they are also VERY different. The choice of how to live one's life is up to the person in question, and in the case of a couple in a relationship, that choice needs to be discussed between both members. However, in making this choice, both sides, whether working to provide further income or staying home to raise a family, needs to be recognized for their full merits.
Whatever the decision, happiness will most likely be obtained through recognition of ones achievements. In my eyes, being a good mother, wife and homemaker is just as much to be valued and appreciated as a woman who is a top business executive. This is probably why in the various talks I've had with my fiance, she doesn't mind that possibility, but also leaves the possibility open for her to continue working. I know that whatever decision she makes will be with the best interest for both us and whatever family we have at the time, and I'll support her in that decision.
Not all of these points apply to all women, or all men. There will always be cases that deviate from the norm. But the point that I am making, and that i think dtekdahl is attempting to make, is that this strange idea that a woman has run her own business or do all of the same things a man does in order to be "equal" is rather ridiculous. If anything, the push for "equality" has only made it harder for a woman to be recognized as being equal if she happens to chose a life direction that is stereotypically "feminine" Which shouldn't be the case at all.

Seppukuties is like LBP Lite, on crack. Play it already!

Currently wrapped up in: Half Life, Portal, and User Created Source Mods
Games I want: (Wii)Mario Kart, Okami, Bully, Conduit,  No More Heroes 2 (GC) Eternal Darkness, Killer7, (PS2) Ico, God of War1&2, Legacy of Kain: SR2&Defiance

My Prediction: Wii will be achieve 48% market share by the end of 2008, and will achieve 50% by the end of june of 09. Prediction Failed.

<- Click to see more of her

Whenever you have the words "equal rights" and "have gone to far" in the same sentence, you should think about how wrong you are before you post it.

America = Best Gaming Console

Europe = Best Game Developers

ManusJustusNardus said:

Whenever you have the words "equal rights" and "have gone to far" in the same sentence, you should think about how wrong you are before you post it.

Well, if "equal rights" get pushed to the point that they stop being equal, then I'd say that they've "gone too far"

Seppukuties is like LBP Lite, on crack. Play it already!

Currently wrapped up in: Half Life, Portal, and User Created Source Mods
Games I want: (Wii)Mario Kart, Okami, Bully, Conduit,  No More Heroes 2 (GC) Eternal Darkness, Killer7, (PS2) Ico, God of War1&2, Legacy of Kain: SR2&Defiance

My Prediction: Wii will be achieve 48% market share by the end of 2008, and will achieve 50% by the end of june of 09. Prediction Failed.

<- Click to see more of her

*reads title and cringes*

*enters thread and rolls eyes*

*leaves thread fighting urge to e-mail dtekdahI00 a slap up the backside of the head*

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

The real problem that exists in the Equal Rights Movement is when it moves from being "Equality of opportunity" and into "Equality of Outcome" ...

As for the main point of this thread, in a marriage you will have to come to a conclusion on what you want to achieve together and what roles you wish to play. Often there is the decision between living life in greater luxury where both work, or living a more relaxed lifestyle where one adult stays home; the unfortunate thing is that many families have no choice and both adults must work (this is, in part, caused by the increased buying power of dual income families pushing up the cost of housing and other necessary purchases).

Ultimately, one of the biggest problems is that many households decide not to choose; this ultimately leaves a household that is over worked and heavily stressed where women often feel like failures because they can never be as successful in industry as they would like, and their household can never approach Martha Stewart's.