By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Samsung Chromebook vs MS Surface RT

davygee said:
I don't see the point of the Chrome Laptop to be honest. Why not just go for a cheap laptop that actually runs Windows 7 or Windows 8?

What do you need windows over chrome?

Unless you're playing games (cd based/steam/etc) or specific software... ChromeOS can do anything else.

full web
full office suite
chrome apps to do anything else for the most part

For a typical user... this is by far all you need. Now, for a many work environments or core gamer, it won't meet your needs. But, the mass consumer will be perfectly fine. Kinda why tablets were already putting a big dent in laptop sales.

Around the Network
Jazz2K said:
So, the Chromebook is a laptop not a tablet and runs ChromeOS which is not Android and can't run windows programs and on top of that you have to carry a ssd to have it work offline... is this real? Why would anyone buy that?

Again, a big appeal of Surface is the keyboards and its laptop replacement capability. (however there is a NExus10 with the same specs as this ChromeOS if you want to compare directly to tablet).

You don't have to carry around any harddrive. Its built in to the device. THe "built-in" part under RT was to point out that like other laptops, the samsung can be upgraded easily whereas the surface is like iPad and you're stuck with what it comes with.

Tom3k said:
superchunk said:

It does. Original ChromeOS laptops had no local storage, this one has standard SSD and all of Google's services now have an offline mode.

Every Chromebook released so far had a 16GB SSD installed. From  the Googles prototype Cr-48 to the latest Samsung model. Chromebook still requires interenet connection, but support for off line applications is growing. The thing with it, is that while you only have 16GB SSD installed in netbook, you also get a 100GB of cloud storage. And to access cloud you need interent connection.

Chrome OS is similar to Andoid in regard that they are both based on Linux kernel. With that in mind and the fact that the number of full fledged Linux distributions that support ARM architecture is growing, you could always install ubuntu, Fedora...  on it.

What is beside me is why would anyone buy a netbook for "gaming"? Most of them struggle with full HD videos. Chromebook is affordable, sleek and stylish, light, sufficient for average consumer and power efficient.

I thought the originals had no hdd at all, my bad.

However, you can work in offline mode. Drive can store/sync with local storage as can gmail and every other Google service. Of course Internet is needed at some point, but its not mandatory to use the computer in a basic sense.The 100GB storage is only for the first year, then there is a cost associated if you dont' want the free 10GB limit Google gives everyone.

I have seen the dual boot Android/Linux stuff and it looks awesome to me. THough I'm not a linux user.

As for gaming, I didn't say to buy this for gaming. I just commented that gaming in a real future sense won't be there until 2013. Furthermore, this is not a netbook and the power of that CPU/GPU is very good. In 2013 we'll see console gaming on this and other devices like phones/tablets etc. Apple and Google will hit this area hard. Google already said they plan to early 2013. Techinically with OnLive and a very good interent connection, its arleady there.

selnor said:
OP needs to factor in the following.

tablet vs low specced laptop.

Nexus 7 vs rt. Thats better.

1) don't understand why you'd want me to change the tablet vs laptop as to what I already have, unless you want to focus on Windows only choices.

2) for tablet to tablet, I'd choose the Nexus10 that is coming out soon and thas the same specs as this Samsung ChromeOS, but with Android obviously and a full tablet. That will also cost at least $100 less than SurfaceRT. For a tablet experience, it will blow this RT away as it will be full Android and not the very new, yet competent, ChromeOS.

Tom3k said:
selnor said:

Again what worries me is things like does it have proper internet. In other words like Ipad 3 or Android tablets where it says sorry cant be viewed on this device?

Does it have Proper ( not apps ) productivity software?

Specs mean nothing to me as long as it flows nicely when used.

Its nice to have specs, but does it do more than view, surf and check like all other Android and Ipads.

No. If you want to run "proper productivity software" on a tablet, you'll have to wait for Surafce Pro with Windows 8.

Ever use Google Docs? works perfectly fine for nearly every usage and can be downloaded/saved as any MS office format.

Around the Network
superchunk said:

As for gaming, I didn't say to buy this for gaming. I just commented that gaming in a real future sense won't be there until 2013. Furthermore, this is not a netbook and the power of that CPU/GPU is very good. In 2013 we'll see console gaming on this and other devices like phones/tablets etc. Apple and Google will hit this area hard. Google already said they plan to early 2013. Techinically with OnLive and a very good interent connection, its arleady there.

Sorry that part was not intended for you. I'm using Opera and this site is giving me a bit of headache when quoting. (I was comenting the Acer One and his gaming capabilities).

superchunk said:

Ever use Google Docs? works perfectly fine for nearly every usage and can be downloaded/saved as any MS office format.

Sure, but I got impression that he wanted to run CAD, or Chem Office, or something like that on tablet lol

disolitude said:
Euphoria14 said:

Could that thing run any games at all? I am mainly just interested in some single player Minecraft and Indie RPGs.

It sure can.

I have a C50 based Acer W500 which has the exact same AMD GPU and CPU but uses slightly more battery. I managed to run the following games on it at a 30+ frames per second.

Resident Evil 4 - 720p max settings

Halo 1 - 720p max

Halo 2 (Windows 7 hacked version) - 1024x768, low settings, 800x600 high settings

Portal - 720p mid settings

Portal 2 - 1024x768 low settings

COD4 - 1024x768 low

Trine, Shank 2, Orcs must die...not a problem

Halflife 2, left 4 dead series should run as well with lowered settings.

That's incredible then!

I've been on the fence about getting a new laptop ever since mine died well over a year ago because I didn't want to spend too much money. I only wanted one for Indie RPGs and some Minecraft because MC just doesn't do well on a tablet/phone.

I was thinking of holding out for the Surface Pro due to this as well but I fear that thing is going to cost way too much. For what I need I might be better off grabbing a decent Netbook for $300.

If you don't mind I would like to get your opinions of a good Netbook to grab (I live in the US) when I am ready to get one.

You seem to be a guy who knows his stuff.

A quick look on best buy USA gives me the following laptop as best value - 

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Acer+-+Aspire+One+11.6%26%2334%3B+Laptop+-+2GB+Memory+-+250GB+Hard+Drive+-+Espresso+Black/3584613.p?id=1218416482562&skuId=3584613

Advantages: 

11.6 inch screen (portable and light)

Solid GPU, screen resolution, battery life

$259

Windows 7 (if you do't want Windows 8)

Disadvantages

CPU is a little weak for things like Excel macros, 10+ browser tabs open at same time...etc

Windows 7 (if you want Windows 8...14.99 for upgrade to Windows 8 though)

It really depends what someone is looking for. Some people want CPU power and I've seen Intel i3/ and AMD A6 laptops for 299 here in Canada. Those are obviously more powerful than this. However they all come with 15.6 inch screen. I would never want to carry that with me anywhere.

So yeah, for basic browsing, Office, and light gaming, this device is perfect IMO. I'd put Windows 8 on to it as boot time is much better as is battery.

Thanks a ton. I think I may pick one of those up.

Browsing, light gaming and watching some media streaming is all I need and this seems to be more tha adequate for that and $15 to updgrade to Windows 8 also seems to be a no brainer.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Tom3k said:
superchunk said:

It does. Original ChromeOS laptops had no local storage, this one has standard SSD and all of Google's services now have an offline mode.

Every Chromebook released so far had a 16GB SSD installed. From  the Googles prototype Cr-48 to the latest Samsung model. Chromebook still requires interenet connection, but support for off line applications is growing. The thing with it, is that while you only have 16GB SSD installed in netbook, you also get a 100GB of cloud storage. And to access cloud you need interent connection.

Chrome OS is similar to Andoid in regard that they are both based on Linux kernel. With that in mind and the fact that the number of full fledged Linux distributions that support ARM architecture is growing, you could always install ubuntu, Fedora...  on it.

What is beside me is why would anyone buy a netbook for "gaming"? Most of them struggle with full HD videos. Chromebook is affordable, sleek and stylish, light, sufficient for average consumer and power efficient.

As I said, it would be mainly for browsing the net and some video streaming. No big deal if it isn't full HD and the games would be Indie RPGs. Those games aren't taxing at all as most look like SNES titles, well, the ones I play at least.

I dont feel like spending $600+ on another laptop that would get very light use overall. I am purchasing a product to fit my needs. I dont need a device that plays top graphic titles. That is what my PS3 is for.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

superchunk said:

I wasn't going to respond to this thread, but now I feel forced to. I can't believe you just tried to compare google docs to MS office. I haven't used any other form of Google docs (if there are any) aside from the "Word" and "Excel" portion, and both of those are so rudimentary it's laughable. You can get away with only the most absolute basic form of work on those. You cannot use those to form any sort of point against MS Office unless you're a 4th grader doing a simple 2 page report....

(Sorry if this sounded angry, my anger is towards how terrible the Google Docs product is. I guess I can't complain since it's free, but it's such a terrible alternative that I squirmed when I saw you use it in the same sentence as MS Office. I used to be optimistic, I tried it a few times... It just.. doesn't work.)