By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Samsung Chromebook vs MS Surface RT

wfz said:
superchunk said:

Ever use Google Docs? works perfectly fine for nearly every usage and can be downloaded/saved as any MS office format.

I wasn't going to respond to this thread, but now I feel forced to. I can't believe you just tried to compare google docs to MS office. I haven't used any other form of Google docs (if there are any) aside from the "Word" and "Excel" portion, and both of those are so rudimentary it's laughable. You can get away with only the most absolute basic form of work on those. You cannot use those to form any sort of point against MS Office unless you're a 4th grader doing a simple 2 page report....

bold and underlined important part you glossed over. Yes, GDocs isn't as robust as MSOffice counterparts. So for heavy business, marketing, etc users it won't work. However, for students, typical family, small business, casual business... basically the 80+% of the mass market non-business usage... GDocs is more than enough. I haven't touched MSOffice (I have full 2010version btw) in over a year outside of work. Even there the work I need it for could of easily been done in GDocs.

GDocs improves and adds new functionality every couple months and has a match for everytype of MSOffice platform. You also get unlimited storage when using GDocs file types and can always save as/download as a MSOffice or other variant.

I think you are greatly underestimating its capabilities or haven't used it since it first launched. I wrote A LOT of reports in getting my bachelors and masters ... and there was nothing I ever needed beyond what is available in GDocs. (I also had a 3.4 and 3.98 GPA respectively)

Around the Network

I rather save the money and buy a nice phone, imo

GamerCHICK said:
I rather save the money and buy a nice phone, imo

Well, a phone is perfect for on-the-go computing and most media/casual uses. There is a definte need for a solid laptop/tablet device for students and computing that is greatly benefited by a full browser/keyboard/etc.

btw, welcome to the site.

Tom3k said:
selnor said:

Again what worries me is things like does it have proper internet. In other words like Ipad 3 or Android tablets where it says sorry cant be viewed on this device?

Does it have Proper ( not apps ) productivity software?

Specs mean nothing to me as long as it flows nicely when used.

Its nice to have specs, but does it do more than view, surf and check like all other Android and Ipads.

No. If you want to run "proper productivity software" on a tablet, you'll have to wait for Surafce Pro with Windows 8.

No I dont. RT comes with some impressive Productivity software. Office 2013 Full Home and Student. The Pro includes business extras. And the RT version runs in Legacy Desktop mode meaning its portable to Office on Pro.

superchunk said:
Tom3k said:
selnor said:

Again what worries me is things like does it have proper internet. In other words like Ipad 3 or Android tablets where it says sorry cant be viewed on this device?

Its nice to have specs, but does it do more than view, surf and check like all other Android and Ipads.

No. If you want to run "proper productivity software" on a tablet, you'll have to wait for Surafce Pro with Windows 8.

Ever use Google Docs? works perfectly fine for nearly every usage and can be downloaded/saved as any MS office format.

But not rated as well and not directly easily compatible with Office. Which everyone has.

Around the Network
selnor said:
superchunk said:
Tom3k said:
selnor said:

But not rated as well and not directly easily compatible with Office. Which everyone has.

Well, you can use MSoffice on ChromeOS or Android as well if its that big of a deal to someone.... and it is directly compatible with Office. I use it all the time.

I think some of you forget that Chrome is now THE largest single used browser on the planet. It has tons of support and if you look through the Chrome app store you'll see so much there is crazy. Including full MSOffice apps (not by MS directly yet, but they said that is coming soon) and many other things.

ChromeOS is not as restricted as many think.

The comparison is a little silly, if you wanted a laptop then the chromebook is under specced and overpriced even at $249 compared to other laptop options and it does not have tablet cabilitiies. There are better laptops/netbooks in that price range which all can do EVERYTHING a chromebook does but without the limitations. If you were looking at a Surface then one of your alternatives is NOT a chromebook, it would be some of the Asus/HP/Dell Hybrids or some of the android devices coming out, perhaps an ipad or nexus if you don't care about the keyboard.

superchunk said:
selnor said:
superchunk said:
Tom3k said:
selnor said:

Well, you can use MSoffice on ChromeOS or Android as well if its that big of a deal to someone.... and it is directly compatible with Office. I use it all the time.

How muc extra does that cost? 

I like the idea that its already with surface. 

And Im not a fan of having to connect to access my saves via cloud. 

I dont see it being consumer friendly enough or purchased by many to mess around transfering stuff to my mates via canging things up. I want to just get something everyone will have and be easy to intergrate. Plus Xbox Smartglass is not possible on Samsung machine.

nanarchy said:
The comparison is a little silly, if you wanted a laptop then the chromebook is under specced and overpriced even at $249 compared to other laptop options and it does not have tablet cabilitiies. There are better laptops/netbooks in that price range which all can do EVERYTHING a chromebook does but without the limitations. If you were looking at a Surface then one of your alternatives is NOT a chromebook, it would be some of the Asus/HP/Dell Hybrids or some of the android devices coming out, perhaps an ipad or nexus if you don't care about the keyboard.

I think that if you only want tablet... Nexus/iPad are better depending on your taste.

If you want a hybrid, then there are a number of Androids that are better or WinRT if you want specific Windows based apps that are nto avail on Android.

If you want laptop you have a few choices.
1) low-end / netbook ChromeOS for the greater majority of people is perfect and far better than anyother netbook based item.
2) high-end/gaming/strong business use obviously a real laptop or maybe the surface Pro later.

Of course it comes to your personal needs. My comparison in this OP is because I see both as essentially netbook style systems. Base computing and hardware, ChromeOS wins hands down. Price, obviously ChromeOS. Hybrid/tablet, of course RT. But for RTs price, its probably better to just get a laptop.

My only real gripe on RT is its price. If it were $300 or $350 with the keyboard attachment, I'd be sold 100%. But at $500 without a keyboard attachment, that's just crazy to me. For a tablet, Nexus10 will blow RT away and I'm sure they'll copy the keyboard thing as it has a similar connection on the bottom. It will easily be $150 to $200 less and just as featured.