By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Walking Dead Dev Calls For Stronger Story Telling in Games

riderz13371 said:
badgenome said:

Listen to this man.

My GOTY, so far.

Have you played the demo of The Walking Dead? I played it and found it quite boring which is why I haven't really wanted to play the game. Is the demo a good representation of what actually happens in the game?

the demo didnt really do it justice, probably the best game i have played all year, looking forward to the last chapter

Around the Network
d21lewis said:
badgenome said:
d21lewis said:
Well then, I call for stronger games in story telling. Next time I read a book, I want to have a Quick Time Event.

Just kidding. I can't read.

Anyway, is this game any good? I've never watched the series so I've been avoiding the game. Should I try The Walking Dead, anyway?

Yes, it's awesome. You should definitely buy it. Would I lie to you? Buy it.

It has nothing much to do with the TV series, other than one cameo. It's pretty self contained. I started playing the game before I started watching the show and don't feel like I was missing anything that was going on. In fact, the game is so good that it made me start watching the show. Buy it now!

Done.  I'll download it today.

I wanted to watch the show but only one season was on Netflix.  Guess I'll watch that, too.

Have fun :).  And yeah you should watch the show and read the comics =p.

This man is wrong. Games today are more story focused than they ever was. The problem of modern games is not bad story telling, it's that there are too much of it, and too little focus on solid gameplay.

I do agree that most games benefit from a story, and obviously a strong story is better than a bad story.

But games in the mid 90's had weak story and presentation. Just compare the story presentation of the original Tomb Raider to the upcoming Tomb Raider in 2013 or to Uncharted.

Or compare the story presentation of games like Duke Nukem and Doom to games like Modern Warfare and Bioshock.

In the past the story was something subtle you had to actively pay attention to while today developers make sure the story is forced upon you like a Hollywood movie.

It's night and day.

badgenome said:
d21lewis said:
Well then, I call for stronger games in story telling. Next time I read a book, I want to have a Quick Time Event.

Just kidding. I can't read.

Anyway, is this game any good? I've never watched the series so I've been avoiding the game. Should I try The Walking Dead, anyway?

Yes, it's awesome. You should definitely buy it. Would I lie to you? Buy it.

It has nothing much to do with the TV series, other than one cameo. It's pretty self contained. I started playing the game before I started watching the show and don't feel like I was missing anything that was going on. In fact, the game is so good that it made me start watching the show. Buy it now!

Dammit, stop hyping up obscure games already. I don't have time to even finish a fraction of my backlog and you keep praising all these Deadly Premonitions, Of Orcs and Mens and Walking Deads. I feel like I'm missing out on so much.

I do like a narrative driven games. Also games with good story usually have a good pacing. Looking forward to picking this up during steam winter sale.

Around the Network
Slimebeast said:

Dammit, stop hyping up obscure games already. I don't have time to even finish a fraction of my backlog and you keep praising all these Deadly Premonitions, Of Orcs and Mens and Walking Deads. I feel like I'm missing out on so much.

Did you buy Tokyo Jungle yet? Oh, and check out Retro City Rampage when you get a chance!

badgenome said:
Slimebeast said:

Did you buy Tokyo Jungle yet? Oh, and check out Retro City Rampage when you get a chance!

Haha.

(Yes, I already wasted 10 bucks on Tokyo Jungle and I'm about to go check out PSN in just a moment.)

Slimebeast said:

Haha.

(Yes, I already wasted 10 bucks on Tokyo Jungle and I'm about to go check out PSN in just a moment.)

Excellent...

And with Walking Dead, you can easily get through the first four episodes in one (long) sitting. So it won't hold you up on your backlog (that's probably like mine and will never, ever be cleared anyway) too much.

I can dimly remember a time when gameplay drove games...not story.

Ah well, it was a fun ride.

ECM said:
I can dimly remember a time when gameplay drove games...not story.

Ah well, it was a fun ride.

Why can't we have both.