Forums - Gaming Discussion - Walking Dead Dev Calls For Stronger Story Telling in Games

http://www.fmvmagazine.com/?p=12333

Telltale Games’ Jake Rodkin has claimed that many developers underestimate the importance of story and writing – and this has led to mainstream gaming being dominated by soulless, superficial experiences. “Video games, like movies, have got stuck in a rut of just being action-packed, bravado-filled wish-fulfillment,” he said, in an exclusive interview with FMV Magazine. “In many games, the script is actually the last thing that comes in.

“A lot of game developers neglect writing because they think the mechanics and gameplay are more important, which is understandable: but often people fall into the trap of thinking that if enough stuff comes flying out of the screen it will make up for the shortfall in plot and dialogue. It’s the same trap a lot of movies fall into.”

Rodkin is co-project leader on Telltales’ critically and commercially successful Walking Dead series – which has been widely praised for its gripping plot and high-quality writing.

“I’d like to see a lot more games adopt mature writing and story-telling,” he said. “Back in the ’80s and ’90s gaming had a lot of story-based stuff, and a lot of emphasis on personality and character. It’s a bummer that there’s not as much of that around these days.

“But hopefully the success of The Walking Dead, and games like Portal, will change that.”



Around the Network

Listen to this man.

My GOTY, so far.



i agree with hell story is really what immerses me into the game



badgenome said:

Listen to this man.

My GOTY, so far.

Have you played the demo of The Walking Dead? I played it and found it quite boring which is why I haven't really wanted to play the game. Is the demo a good representation of what actually happens in the game?



riderz13371 said:

Have you played the demo of The Walking Dead? I played it and found it quite boring which is why I haven't really wanted to play the game. Is the demo a good representation of what actually happens in the game?

I haven't. But I can definitely say that it gets better the more you play, and the way the consequences of your actions play out from episode to episode is some heavy, heavy stuff.



Around the Network
badgenome said:
riderz13371 said:

Have you played the demo of The Walking Dead? I played it and found it quite boring which is why I haven't really wanted to play the game. Is the demo a good representation of what actually happens in the game?

I haven't. But I can definitely say that it gets better the more you play, and the way the consequences of your actions play out from episode to episode is some heavy, heavy stuff.

Mostly are illusions though,  it is not like you will end up in a other city at if you make a different choice...    And episode 4 was a bit of a drag...(compared to awesome episode 3).



 

Well then, I call for stronger games in story telling. Next time I read a book, I want to have a Quick Time Event.

Just kidding. I can't read.

Anyway, is this game any good? I've never watched the series so I've been avoiding the game. Should I try The Walking Dead, anyway?



mZuzek loves Smeags. 😢

Lostplanet22 said:

Mostly are illusions though,  it is not like you will end up in a other city at if you make a different choice...    And episode 4 was a bit of a drag...(compared to awesome episode 3).

Well, it was pretty hard to top episode 3. But at least it set up an intense final episode! (Holy shit!)



d21lewis said:
Well then, I call for stronger games in story telling. Next time I read a book, I want to have a Quick Time Event.

Just kidding. I can't read.

Anyway, is this game any good? I've never watched the series so I've been avoiding the game. Should I try The Walking Dead, anyway?

Yes, it's awesome. You should definitely buy it. Would I lie to you? Buy it.

It has nothing much to do with the TV series, other than one cameo. It's pretty self contained. I started playing the game before I started watching the show and don't feel like I was missing anything that was going on. In fact, the game is so good that it made me start watching the show. Buy it now!



badgenome said:
d21lewis said:
Well then, I call for stronger games in story telling. Next time I read a book, I want to have a Quick Time Event.

Just kidding. I can't read.

Anyway, is this game any good? I've never watched the series so I've been avoiding the game. Should I try The Walking Dead, anyway?

Yes, it's awesome. You should definitely buy it. Would I lie to you? Buy it.

It has nothing much to do with the TV series, other than one cameo. It's pretty self contained. I started playing the game before I started watching the show and don't feel like I was missing anything that was going on. In fact, the game is so good that it made me start watching the show. Buy it now!

Done.  I'll download it today.

I wanted to watch the show but only one season was on Netflix.  Guess I'll watch that, too.



mZuzek loves Smeags. 😢