By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Which of the big three consoles manufactures put the most big name devs out of business this gen?

Turkish said:
Andrespetmonkey said:
Turkish said:
Nintendo. None of the multiplatform games like Skyrim, Borderlands, Assassins Creed released on the Wii due to not chasing the HD dream.

How has that put their respective developers out of business?

Because those respective devs couldn't develop for the Wii thus were left out of business. :)

Those developers aren't out of business.

OP clearly specifies "out of business".

Around the Network
Andrespetmonkey said:
Turkish said:
Andrespetmonkey said:
Turkish said:
Nintendo. None of the multiplatform games like Skyrim, Borderlands, Assassins Creed released on the Wii due to not chasing the HD dream.

How has that put their respective developers out of business?

Because those respective devs couldn't develop for the Wii thus were left out of business. :)

I had no idea, is it a synonym for bankrupting?

Turkish said:
Andrespetmonkey said:

I had no idea, is it a synonym for bankrupting?

Pretty much. Which of the big 3 is responsible for the most studio closures is what OP is asking.

lilbroex said:

They gave bad game incomplete games to the other consoles then gave full featured games to Sony. The problem is that it burned a lot of gamers. They bought games on those consoles and even those consoles themselves just to play the tales games. Then Sony exslusively got the final version where they could have given it to everyone.

The cost of devleoping on the PS3 raises the minimum sales required to make a profit as well compared to the other 2 consoles. They destryoed themselves pandering to Sony.

I don't think 360 fans would agree that ToV was a bad incomplete game, you could argue that for ToG mostly due to the technical issues but you certainly can't argue that for ToV.  Burning those gamers in the future can't be a reason for them to sell less than the eventual port.  If anything that just shows they should have stuck with Sony in the first place.  

The increased cost is largely due to art assets, which is miniscule for a game you've already made for another console.  

When you see that list of studios that have closed (and damn is that a big list), it's mainly the result of large 3rd party publishers and developers consolidating their resources and closing satellite studios to trim expenses as development costs rose significantly.

I really can't blame any of the big 3 for their demise though.... a combination of skyrocketing development costs across the board coupled with the worldwide economic recession that happened just as this gen was starting to hit full stride led to a lot of studios' early demise.

Some developers also have only themselves to blame really. Developers like Factor 5 and Free Radical decided to put all their eggs in one basket so to speak and release much hyped PS3 exclusives like Lair and Haze, both of which garnered terrible reviews and bombed hard in sales, plus the fact that the PS3 struggled early on to gain a foothold in the market didn't help matters either. If both of these companies had stuck to what made them successful last gen (Factor 5 with the Rogue Squadron games either as a Wii exclusive or go multiplat with them), and Free Radical with a sequel to Timesplitters that fans have been clamoring for, then odds are they're both alive and kicking today.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

Around the Network

NightDragon83 said:

Free Radical with a sequel to Timesplitters that fans have been clamoring for, then odds are they're both alive and kicking today.

I feel like people still don't fully understand what went on with Free Radical.  If you get chance, read the Eurogamer article I linked earlier in the thread.

Now, no doubt Haze's lukewarm reception and average sales didn't help things for FR.  Absolutely no doubt.  There was another massive factor at play here though, namely Star Wars Battlefront 3.  I think they'd been developing it for about 2 and a half years before LucasArts pulled the plug on a nearly complete product.  Without any way of making any money back from that game, it put them in a really precarious position.

Also, I think it's pretty hard to say that Timesplitters 4 would have kept them in business.  Don't get me wrong - Timesplitters is my favourite first-person-shooter series ever and I would have loved to have seen Timesplitters 4.  But Future Perfect managed less than 500k sales across 3 platforms:

http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/?name=timesplitters%3A+future+perfect&publisher=&platform=&genre=&minSales=0&results=200

Those are genuinely really awful figures, no two ways about it.  There would be no guarantee that T4 would have done any better.  And if it had bombed like FP did with the increased development costs, that would almost certainly have spelled the end of Free Radical.

pezus said:
lilbroex said:
Andrespetmonkey said:
Nintendo, just to annoy lilbroex.

Doesn't bother me at all. Please continue.(after all, we all know who actually did :p  )

Then why are you asking a question?

So that we can discuss it. Its one of those things that largely goes ignored. Just look at the list the guy posted. So many companies died this gen. The cost just became to much yet gamers are still asking for even bulkier systems that will cost even more to develop on.

Nintendo has gone the right way. They made a console that is not only stronger than any console to date, but they also made development for it easier than the previous HD consoles. You can produce high quality games for a lower price on the Wii U. Though, that specific matter is off topic.

pezus said:
Kresnik said:

NightDragon83 said:

Free Radical with a sequel to Timesplitters that fans have been clamoring for, then odds are they're both alive and kicking today.

I feel like people still don't fully understand what went on with Free Radical.  If you get chance, read the Eurogamer article I linked earlier in the thread.

Now, no doubt Haze's lukewarm reception and average sales didn't help things for FR.  Absolutely no doubt.  There was another massive factor at play here though, namely Star Wars Battlefront 3.  I think they'd been developing it for about 2 and a half years before LucasArts pulled the plug on a nearly complete product.  Without any way of making any money back from that game, it put them in a really precarious position.

Also, I think it's pretty hard to say that Timesplitters 4 would have kept them in business.  Don't get me wrong - Timesplitters is my favourite first-person-shooter series ever and I would have loved to have seen Timesplitters 4.  But Future Perfect managed less than 500k sales across 3 platforms:

http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/?name=timesplitters%3A+future+perfect&publisher=&platform=&genre=&minSales=0&results=200

Those are genuinely really awful figures, no two ways about it.  There would be no guarantee that T4 would have done any better.  And if it had bombed like FP did with the increased development costs, that would almost certainly have spelled the end of Free Radical.

Funnily enough, Haze sold far better on PS3 only.

Funny enough, you aren't factoring in the much higher cost of development for the PS3 as compared to the other consoles. The amount of sales needed to profit is higher, WAY HIGHER.

For a A+ quality games on the PS3, the developement costs are so high that a million seller isn't even enough to break even.

On the other hand, dev costs on the Wii were so low that even you only needed to 150-300k sells to make a profit.

I just hope things get better :(

LMAOOO! XD

Kyuubi Ricky SSJ2 said:

This is a list of studios that have closed since this gen started:

38 Studios - 2012
3D Realms - 2009
4mm Games - 2012
7 Studios (Activision) - 2011
ACES Studio (Microsoft) - 2009
Action Forms - 2009
Artech Studios - 2011
Ascaron - 2009
Atomic Elbow - 2008
Backbone Vancouver
Beam Software/Melbourne House - 2010
BigBig (Sony) - 2012
Big Huge Games - 2012
Bizarre Creations (Activision) - 2010/2011
Black Hole Entertainment - 2012
Black Rock (Disney) - 2011
Blue Fang Games - 2011
Blue Tongue (THQ) - 2011
BottleRocket - 2009
Brash Entertainment - 2008
Budcat (Activision) - 2010
Carbonated Games - 2008
Castaway Entertainment - 2008
Cheyenne Mountain - 2010
Cing - 2010
Clover Studios (Capcom) - 2006
Codemasters Guildford - 2011
Cohort Studios - 2011
Concrete Games - 2008
Dark Energy Digital - 2012
Deep Silver Vienna - 2010
DICE Canada - 2006
Digital Anvil - 2006
dtp Entertainment - 2012
EA Chicago - 2007
EA Bright Light - 2011/2012
EA Japan - 2007
Eden Games - 2012
Eidos Manchester - 2009
Eidos Hungary - 2010
Empire Interactive - 2009
Ensemble Studios (Microsoft) - 2008
Factor 5 - 2009
FASA (Microsoft) - 2007
Fizz Factor - 2009
Flagship Studios - 2008
Flight Plan - 2010
Frozen North Productions
FuzzyEyes - 2009
Gaia
Gamelab - 2009
Game Republic - 2011
GRIN - 2009
Groove Games - 2010
Gusto Games - 2012
Helixe (THQ) - 2008
Hudson Entertainment - 2011
Hudson Soft - 2012
Humannature Studio (Nexon Vancouver) - 2009
Ignition London - 2010
Ignition Florida - 2010
Incognito Entertainment (Sony) - 2009
Indie Built (Take-Two) - 2006
Iron Lore - 2008
Juice Games (THQ) - 2011
Kaos Studios (THQ) - 2011
Killaware - 2011
Killspace Entertainment - 2011
KMM Brisbane - 2011
Krome Studios (might still be operating on skeleton crew) - 2010
Kuju Manila - 2009
Kuju Chemistry - 2009
Kush Games - 2008
Locomotive Games (THQ) - 2010
Loose Cannon Studios - 2010
Luxoflux - 2010
Mass Media (THQ) - 2008
Monte Cristo - 2010
Monumental Games - 2012
Midway Austin - 2009
Midway Newcastle - 2009
MTV Games - 2011
Multiverse - 2012
NetDevil - 2011
Ninja Studio - 2009
Nihon Telenet - 2007
Outerlight - 2010
PAM Development (Take-Two) - 2008
Pandemic Australia (EA) - 2009
Pandemic LA (EA) - 2009
Paradigm Entertainment - 2008
Pi Studios - 2011
Pivotal Games (Take-Two) - 2008
Propaganda Games (Disney) - 2011
Pseudo Interactive - 2008
Rainbow Studios (THQ) - 2011
Razorworks - 2009
Radical Entertainment - 2012
Reakktor Media - 2012
Realtime Worlds - 2010
Rebellion Derby - 2010
Red Octane - 2010
Redtribe - 2008
Rockstar Vienna - 2006
Sandblast Games (THQ) - 2008
SEGA San Francisco - 2010
Sensory Sweep Studios - 2010
Seta - 2008
Shaba Games (Activision) - 2009
SideCar Studios - 2007
Sierra Online - 2008
Snapdragon Games - 2009
SOE Denver - 2011
SOE Seattle - 2011
SOE Tuscon - 2011
Spellbound Entertainment - 2012
Stormfront Studios - 2008
Straylight Studios - 2009
Team Bondi - 2011
The Code Monkeys - 2011
Titan Studios - 2009
THQ San Diego - 2012
THQ Studio Australia - 2009
THQ Digital Warrington - 2009
Transmission Games/IR Gurus - 2009
Ubisoft Brazil - 2010
Ubisoft Vancouver - 2012
Underground Development/Z-Axis (Activision) - 2010
Universomo (THQ) - 2009
Venom Games (Take Two) - 2008
Vicarious Visions California - 2007
Visceral Australia (EA) - 2011
Wolfpack Studios - 2006
Yuke’s Company Of America - 2010
Zipper Interactive - 2012
Zoe Mode London - 2009
Zoonami - 2011

Nearly all of them were too busy chasing that HD dream that led to their own demise.

So many! I had no idea x_x