By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Which of the big three consoles manufactures put the most big name devs out of business this gen?

lilbroex said:
Soundwave said:

I don't really see a huge difference there though between the better made Wii projects -- GoldenEye Wii probably being the third party game with the most effort behind it, and Super Mario Galaxy being probably the best 1st party game on the system -- both still required 120+ people on staff.

Skyrim is about 300 people once you minus the voice acting/marketing staff.

Saying Goleneye for the Wii had the most effort put behind is a joke. That game had no geomtry or complex shaders, and the most of the textures were low res. Thats an insult to every third party that actual put in a decent amount of effort. Heck, Modern Warfare Reflex had more effort put into than Goldeneye.

Goldeneye lacked graphical talent, not effort. The game had lots of effort; they got Daniel Craig to voice Bond, they got his stunt double from the movies to do the motion capture work, they got the movie's screenwriter to update the script, they even wrote casual banter for random soldiers, something even A-list PS3/360 shooters often don't bother with.

Around the Network
lilbroex said:
Jay520 said:

As for the second part... Really? Are you saying that the Wii had close to the amount of big name developers as the HD consoles? if you truly believe that, then I have nothing more to say.

[list of games]

You're saying that the Wii has had close to the amount of big name developers as the HD consoles. Okay, let's check. Let's compare the list of HD, but non-Wii developers in comparison to Wii, but non-HD developers. It's pointless to list developers who have developed both Wii and HD games. Here we go...

Here are the "Big name" Wii developers that haven't made PS360 games. Keep in mind this is just by going by the list you provided.

1. Retro Stuidos,
  2. Monolith Soft,
  3. Camelot Software Planning
  4. Monster Games
  5. Paon
  6. Skip Ltd.
  7. Sora Ltd.
  8. Creatures Inc.
  9. The Pokémon Company
  10. Genius Sonority
  11. Ambrella (Only made WiiWare Games though)
TOTAL: 11 studios (most of these I wouldn't even call big name, but whatever)
The next 10 stuios were in your list but they are not Wii developers have not developed PS360 games. (Keep in mind my information of these games are based on the information you gave me).
  1. High Voltage Software (made 360 games)
  2. the Fatal Frame dev (The developer is Tecmo – they’ve made ps360 games)
  3. AlphaDream (Never made a Wii game)
  4. Jupiter Corp. (Never made a Wii game)
  5. Next Level Games (Made PS3 and/or 360 games)
  6. Noise (Never made a Wii game)
  7. N-Space (Made ps3 and/or 360 games)
  8. Game Freak (Never made a Wii game)
  9. Kuju Entertainment (owns vatra studios which makes 360 games)
  10. Treasure (their last 3 games have been XBL games)
Here are active big name developers who have made PS3 and/or 360 games and have not made Wii games:

1. Rockstar London
  2. Rockstar North
  3. From Software
  4. Kojima Productions
  5. Eidos Montreal
  6. Rocksteady
  7. Valve
  8. GearBox
  9. Bethesda
  10. BioWare
  11. Id Software
  12. EA Digital Illusions CE
  13. Criterion Games
  14. Slightly Mad Studios
  15. Bluepoint Games
  16. Rockstar San Diego
  17. Volition, Inc
  18. NetherRealm Studios
  19. Slant Six Games
  20. Techland
  21. Irrational Games
  22. Avalanche Studios
  23. Polyphony Digital
  24. Naughty Dog
  25. Santa Monica
  26. Media Molecule
  27. Guerrilla Games
  28. Sucker Punch
  29. Insomniac
  30. Quantic Dream
  31. Sony San Diego
  32. Bungie
  33. Epic
  34. Lionhead
  35. Good Science Studio
  36. Rare
TOTAL: 36. Keep in mind that I could have listed a lot more games AND I didn't even list any digital-only developer which would have made the HD list a lot longer. Also, these were the developers that were easy to find. Most of these developers are pretty well known; I missed a lot of developers who made games that sold between 0.5m - 1.5m, simply because I thought the list was long enough as it is. If I would have included them, the list would be a lot longer. 
With that said, it seems clear that you were wrong; the Wii hasn't had anywhere close to the amount of big name developers as the HD consoles, thus my point stands: Because Wii had much less big name developers, then naturally there will be a lot less HD developers to go bankrupt. Because the HD consoles have had so many developers, there's a much higher chance that more developers were go bankrupt.

Jay520 said:
lilbroex said:
Jay520 said:

As for the second part... Really? Are you saying that the Wii had close to the amount of big name developers as the HD consoles? if you truly believe that, then I have nothing more to say.

[list of games]

You're saying that the Wii has had close to the amount of big name developers as the HD consoles. Okay, let's check. Let's compare the list of HD, but non-Wii developers in comparison to Wii, but non-HD developers. It's pointless to list developers who have developed both Wii and HD games. Here we go...

Here are the "Big name" Wii developers that haven't made PS360 games. Keep in mind this is just by going by the list you provided.

1. Retro Stuidos,
  2. Monolith Soft,
  3. Camelot Software Planning
  4. Monster Games
  5. Paon
  6. Skip Ltd.
  7. Sora Ltd.
  8. Creatures Inc.
  9. The Pokémon Company
  10. Genius Sonority
  11. Ambrella (Only made WiiWare Games though)
TOTAL: 11 studios (most of these I wouldn't even call big name, but whatever)
The next 10 stuios were in your list but they are not Wii developers have not developed PS360 games. (Keep in mind my information of these games are based on the information you gave me).
  1. High Voltage Software (made 360 games)
  2. the Fatal Frame dev (The developer is Tecmo – they’ve made ps360 games)
  3. AlphaDream (Never made a Wii game)
  4. Jupiter Corp. (Never made a Wii game)
  5. Next Level Games (Made PS3 and/or 360 games)
  6. Noise (Never made a Wii game)
  7. N-Space (Made ps3 and/or 360 games)
  8. Game Freak (Never made a Wii game)
  9. Kuju Entertainment (owns vatra studios which makes 360 games)
  10. Treasure (their last 3 games have been XBL games)
Here are active big name developers who have made PS3 and/or 360 games and have not made Wii games:

1. Rockstar London
  2. Rockstar North
  3. From Software
  4. Kojima Productions
  5. Eidos Montreal
  6. Rocksteady
  7. Valve
  8. GearBox
  9. Bethesda
  10. BioWare
  11. Id Software
  12. EA Digital Illusions CE
  13. Criterion Games
  14. Slightly Mad Studios
  15. Bluepoint Games
  16. Rockstar San Diego
  17. Volition, Inc
  18. NetherRealm Studios
  19. Slant Six Games
  20. Techland
  21. Irrational Games
  22. Avalanche Studios
  23. Polyphony Digital
  24. Naughty Dog
  25. Santa Monica
  26. Media Molecule
  27. Guerrilla Games
  28. Sucker Punch
  29. Insomniac
  30. Quantic Dream
  31. Sony San Diego
  32. Bungie
  33. Epic
  34. Lionhead
  35. Good Science Studio
  36. Rare
TOTAL: 36. Keep in mind that I could have listed a lot more games AND I didn't even list any digital-only developer which would have made the HD list a lot longer. Also, these were the developers that were easy to find. Most of these developers are pretty well known; I missed a lot of developers who made games that sold between 0.5m - 1.5m, simply because I thought the list was long enough as it is. If I would have included them, the list would be a lot longer. 
With that said, it seems clear that you were wrong; the Wii hasn't had anywhere close to the amount of big name developers as the HD consoles, thus my point stands: Because Wii had much less big name developers, then naturally there will be a lot less HD developers to go bankrupt. Because the HD consoles have had so many developers, there's a much higher chance that more developers were go bankrupt.

Dude, I didn't even list any of the third parties that devoploped for the Wii. That was an all second party list. The first and third party list would be way more than 36.

Also, I'm talking about Nintendo alone. You sandwiched devs for Sony and Microsoft togehter. Rare made nothing for Sony. Sony San Diego made nothing for Microsoft.

Not just third-parties, but third-parties that didn't develop HD games.

lilbroex said:

Dude, I didn't even list any of the third parties that devoploped for the Wii. That was an all second party list. The third party list would be way more than 36.

Jay520 said:
lilbroex said:

Dude, I didn't even list any of the third parties that devoploped for the Wii. That was an all second party list. The third party list would be way more than 36.

I can find quite a few but I will have to get back to you on that one. It will take a while to compound. Even it will still be two on 1.

Around the Network

Jay520 said:

lilbroex said:

also what's the critria

Tor: mod edited to fix the thread.

Continuing on from my last post, I forgot to mention that they also hired nicole scherzinger to sing the theme song.

Goldeneye was probably the post expensive Wii game, or at least one of the most expensive.

You guys shouldn't forget about the crisis.

Thread broken for anyone else? I'm seeing black and the left 1/4 of the posts missing.

J520, you destroyed another thread.