By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Which of the big three consoles manufactures put the most big name devs out of business this gen?

killerzX said:

no, you said A+ titles cost over $50 million to make. Killzone 2 cost over 10 million less than that. and it is one of the most expensive games ever made.

further more it was made early in the gen, when devs were still getting familiarized with the systems, and building new engines. dev costs have gone down now since they have a great familiarity with the systems, and have engines already made.

So no, even one of the most expensive games, with long development time, early in the gen, still proves you wrong. 

there have been like a handful of games that have cost of 50 million. GT5 and GTAIV being two of them.

No, I explained that to the other dude. I never even inferreed that they cost over. I said upwards of 50 million meaning nearing that amount. I meant is as being within the range of 50 million.

I was surpirsed by how much GT5 cost. I thought all of the top of the line titles were around 40-50 million. Though that was only an estimate to begin with, it turned of to not be that far from the truth. That was only stated to prove the point of how high the cost were compared to the other consoles though.

The 100% absolute specific were never important. I wasn't arguing the exact cost of development, just that it was higher for the PS3 in general than any other console.

Around the Network
lilbroex said:
curl-6 said:
lilbroex said:
The have:

High Voltage Software,

Retro Stuidos,

Monolith Soft, 

the Fatal Frame dev(can't remember their name),

AlphaDream
Camelot Software Planning
Jupiter Corp.
Monster Games
Next Level Games
Paon
Skip Ltd.
Sora Ltd. - Returning
Noise
N-Space
Game Freak
Ambrella
Kuju Entertainment
Creatures Inc.
The Pokémon Company
Genius Sonority
Treasure

Thems just a few. Yup.

You left out Treyarch, Sonic Team, Capcom, Ubisoft, Mistwalker, Treasure, Junction Point, Next Level...

That's why I said "them's just a few". I could pull out more if need be.

Just seemed weird to me to mention minor ones like Kuju and Monster yet leave out big ones like Treyarch and Capcom.

curl-6 said:
lilbroex said:
curl-6 said:
lilbroex said:
The have:

High Voltage Software,

Retro Stuidos,

Monolith Soft, 

AlphaDream
Jupiter Corp.
Monster Games
Next Level Games
Paon
Skip Ltd.
Sora Ltd. - Returning
Noise
N-Space
Game Freak
Ambrella
Kuju Entertainment
Creatures Inc.
The Pokémon Company
Genius Sonority
Treasure

Thems just a few. Yup.

You left out Treyarch, Sonic Team, Capcom, Ubisoft, Mistwalker, Treasure, Junction Point, Next Level...

Just seemed weird to me to mention minor ones like Kuju and Monster yet leave out big ones like Treyarch and Capcom.

I was only listing the 2nd party devs, not the third party.

lilbroex said:
killerzX said:

no, you said A+ titles cost over $50 million to make. Killzone 2 cost over 10 million less than that. and it is one of the most expensive games ever made.

further more it was made early in the gen, when devs were still getting familiarized with the systems, and building new engines. dev costs have gone down now since they have a great familiarity with the systems, and have engines already made.

So no, even one of the most expensive games, with long development time, early in the gen, still proves you wrong. 

there have been like a handful of games that have cost of 50 million. GT5 and GTAIV being two of them.

No, I explained that to the other dude. I never even inferreed that they cost over. I said upwards of 50 million meaning nearing that amount. I meant is as being within the range of 50 million.

I was surpirsed by how much GT5 cost. I thought all of the top of the line titles were around 40-50 million. Though that was only an estimate to begin with, it turned of to not be that far from the truth. That was only stated to prove the point of how high the cost were compared to the other consoles though.

The 100% absolute specific were never important. I wasn't arguing the exact cost of development, just that it was higher for the PS3 in general than any other console.

thats not what upwards means. 

when you say something costs upwards of $50million to make, it means it costs more than $50 million.

if you were to say most A+ games aproach $50 million to make, then that would mean nearing the amount. but youd still be wrong becuase Uncharted cost nowhere near that, and with 99.9999% certainty we can say Heavy Rain cost no where near that either, not even in the same galaxy. and those 2 games were your example.

and you were still wrong becuase only a handful of games cost around or more than 50 million. 

most games dont cost anywhere near it. and i gave you an example of perhaps the highest production value game: Uncharted costed $20 million.

edit: here's a study claiming average development cost is between $18-28 million.

http://www.develop-online.net/news/33625/Study-Average-dev-cost-as-high-as-28m

lilbroex said:
curl-6 said:
lilbroex said:
curl-6 said:
lilbroex said:
The have:

High Voltage Software,

Retro Stuidos,

Monolith Soft, 

AlphaDream
Jupiter Corp.
Monster Games
Next Level Games
Paon
Skip Ltd.
Sora Ltd. - Returning
Noise
N-Space
Game Freak
Ambrella
Kuju Entertainment
Creatures Inc.
The Pokémon Company
Genius Sonority
Treasure

Thems just a few. Yup.

Wait, Treasure are owned by Nintendo!? (I incorrectly posted that you didn't include them btw, unless you added them after I posted)

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
lilbroex said:
curl-6 said:
lilbroex said:
curl-6 said:
lilbroex said:
The have:

High Voltage Software,

Retro Stuidos,

Monolith Soft, 

AlphaDream
Jupiter Corp.
Monster Games
Next Level Games
Paon
Skip Ltd.
Sora Ltd. - Returning
Noise
N-Space
Game Freak
Ambrella
Kuju Entertainment
Creatures Inc.
The Pokémon Company
Genius Sonority
Treasure

Thems just a few. Yup.

Wait, Treasure are owned by Nintendo!? (I incorrectly posted that you didn't include them btw, unless you added them after I posted)

Nah, nobody owns treasture to my knowledge. They just have some second party games with them.

btw, I'm curious where Atelier fits into your established paradigm. Obviously there is nothing inherently expensive about developing for the PS3 because that team has never sold anything close to what you say the average should have to sell on HD and have always made profits off their smaller JRPGs, often before they even localize them so it's even less than the total sales that VGC mentions.

Therefore my argument would be that there is nothing inherently expensive about developing for the HD systems, it all depends on how far you want to take your graphics budget. You are able to take it higher on HD than you could on the Wii, but there is nothing forcing it higher. In this way Wii U is going to be exactly the same btw as its graphics capabilities are obviously better than the PS360.

Torillian said:
btw, I'm curious where Atelier fits into your established paradigm. Obviously there is nothing inherently expensive about developing for the PS3 because that team has never sold anything close to what you say the average should have to sell on HD and have always made profits off their smaller JRPGs, often before they even localize them so it's even less than the total sales that VGC mentions.

Therefore my argument would be that there is nothing inherently expensive about developing for the HD systems, it all depends on how far you want to take your graphics budget. You are able to take it higher on HD than you could on the Wii, but there is nothing forcing it higher. In this way Wii U is going to be exactly the same btw as its graphics capabilities are obviously better than the PS360.

No, it won't be the same because its not as complex. The Wii U is straight foward as far a programming goes.

To get the same result to the same level on the Wii  U as you would on the 360/PS3 is cheaper for the Wii U if dev comments(and there are many) are to be believed.

This article says it well.

http://www.notenoughshaders.com/2012/07/02/the-rise-of-costs-the-fall-of-gaming/

lilbroex said:
Torillian said:

No, it won't be the same because its not as complex. The Wii U is straight foward as far a programming goes.

To get the same result to the same level on the Wii  U as you would on the 360/PS3 is cheaper for the Wii U if dev comments(and there are many) are to be believed.

You mean, like the 360?

You forget everything that isn't tied strictly to the programming aspect of the production. You only cherry pick the example that suit your little agenda, forgetting that there are plenty of games that cost much less than 10 million to produce and were huge hits.

Again, the costs of a project is tied to the ambition behing it. Not to its programming.  Early on in a gen I could give it to you, but right now, that point just doesn't apply to productions on the HD consoles.

Torillian said:

There's the issue of consumer expectations though. You could theoretically make a PS3 game that was just PS2 level assets in HD to save money, but that would turn off a lot of gamers.