By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Increasing Evidence That Nintendo is Not Serious About the Hardcore Gamers

If wii u has a lackluster lineup then vita must have been awful. And just compare that lineup to ps3 and 360 when they came out. What kind of standard do people writing these articles have when it comes to launch titles? This trumps every system since last generation for launch titles. It would be like me saying vita had a bad launch lineup.

As for online I agree but there are steps in the right direction. But nintendo does not require the majority of the group that play call of duty to be successful with 'hardcore' gamers. Unless playing jrpgs doesn't make you a 'hardcore' gamer. Jrpgs don't need online so I'm not too worried about my tastes.

One more thing to complete my year = senran kagura localization =D

Around the Network

1) Nintendo figures the people who care enough to buy retail games digitally are going to own an external Hard-Drive

2) The second point relies entirely on the full feature-set of Miiverse. We don't know, so you can't say anything.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Also:  No trophies/achievements. Are they for real? Why would I buy any multiplaform on Wii U when I can earn nice badges on PS3 and 360? While it is true trophy/achievement hunters may be the minority, there's a whole lot of players out there who do. Even if it's only 5-10% of all playerbase, it's still something nice to have. Without achievements I have no reason to play anything on Wii U.

Lack of cross game chat is a HUGE problem as well. Even my (so called 'dead' by many) PS Vita can do it. Come on...

Region lock is another problem, I travel a lot and I hate being restricted as to where I buy my games.

But it has bayonetta 2!

At least Nintendo is not charging for playing online. The region lock do sucks since some asian versions of games sometimes cost less and contain english subtitles (even voices in some cases).

Around the Network
CCFanboy said:

As for online I agree but there are steps in the right direction. But nintendo does not require the majority of the group that play call of duty to be successful with 'hardcore' gamers. Unless playing jrpgs doesn't make you a 'hardcore' gamer. Jrpgs don't need online so I'm not too worried about my tastes.

True, but if that's the case shouldn't the bit about region locking and Nintendo's apparent disinterest in localizing their own JRPGs worry you instead?  

Sensei said:

Also:  No trophies/achievements. Are they for real? Why would I buy any multiplaform on Wii U when I can earn nice badges on PS3 and 360? While it is true trophy/achievement hunters may be the minority, there's a whole lot of players out there who do. Even if it's only 5-10% of all playerbase, it's still something nice to have. Without achievements I have no reason to play anything on Wii U.

Lack of cross game chat is a HUGE problem as well. Even my (so called 'dead' by many) PS Vita can do it. Come on...

Region lock is another problem, I travel a lot and I hate being restricted as to where I buy my games.

The whole "day-and-date digital distribution" thing would alleviate that, so long as you have access to a credit card from the same region you bought the console in.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Not everyone is keen on playing some imported game. We are not all anime freaks who worship everything Japanese.

-moderated by amp316 (warning)

Sensei said:

Accomplishments. They have a system. Its like ps3 used to be. They can choose to use it or they can't. Up to the developers. But it does exist. I was once addicted to them. But does not being able to play games without them say they are good? Or is that a problem?

@ Torillan I am in the uk so I have pandora's tower. I am hoping more third parties localize their jrpgs and yes your right it is a problem. I am still begging them to localize my senran kagura. You are correct though. It is a problem when you are really into the games I am.

One more thing to complete my year = senran kagura localization =D

I've said it many times before, but "core" and "hardcore" are not the same at all. Both as words and as terms relating to gaming. "Hardcore" refers to people who are fanatics about a particular thing, such as people who play WoW or CoD 8 hours a day. "Core" simply refers to a particular segment of the market and the people who play those types of games. Core gamers have long been the pillars of gaming, though that has changed greatly. Still, they are the ones who closely associate themselves with gaming and think of it as a part of their identity.

For instance, I know people who are hardcore about casual games, but also people who are core and only play a few hours a week on average. Core and hardcore need to stop being used interchangeably.

As for the article, it's really jumping the gun. Nintendo looks pretty serious about winning back the core, judging from the mature level exclusives they're buying, but that doesn't mean they won't make some mistakes--and not having cross-game chat is a mistake, though potentially not a big one. Region locking is annoying but not a big deal for very many people.

The key point is going to be their online service, which NO ONE can yet judge. We'll have to wait on that. When people try it out, we'll know if it at least measures up to current gen systems (which it should) or even surpasses them.

Long story short, it's way too soon to jump to conclusions.