By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - It's safe to say Sony lost this gen; 70 million Xbox 360's have been sold!

smbu2000 said:
sperrico87 said:
PS3 was released a year later, and at a much higher price point, and they're STILL only a couple million behind 360. So, this article's main point is pretty flimsy.

Sony

PS2: over 156 million sold

PS3: over 63 million sold

Microsoft

Xbox 1: over 24 million sold

Xbox 360: over 70 million sold

hmmm....

PS2 was a year ahead of GameCube and Xbox, and it was cheaper and less powerful.  So, that has to be taken into consideration too.

EDIT: ALSO I have to point out that PS2 has been on the market for twelve years now, and PS3 only six.  PS2 kept selling well into 2007-2008, even later, with decent legs.  Basically, this whole comparison is flawed.  So, yes, Sony has gone from 1st to 3rd, but it's by no means a distant third.  In fact, for all intents and purposes, they are nearly tied with 360.  360 has zero market share in Japan, and Sony has very sizeable market share in all three major territories.  The ability for the PS3 to continue selling for the long run in NA/ Europe/ and especially Japan will only close that gap.

Around the Network
JayWood2010 said:
I've lost all faith in VGC numbers.

PS3 over-tacked by 3 million is horrible but they have been screwing up a lot lately and it seems the pre-orders are off now too

Then please do use all a favor and request a perma ban on your account.

selnor said:
So the real gap is 6.1 million between 360 and PS3.

This coincides with many other reports financial from actual figures rather than guesstimates on VGC.

Maybe VGC should ask Micosoft, Nintendo and Sony direct what their actual figures are. Bet they are these. Theres a reason VGC figures aren't quoted in media articles I guess. I always wondered that.

I agree and I believe someone should make a thread about the over-tracked numbers on VGC because honestly I find this to be an embarrassment to VGC as they over-tracked by 3 million.  Everytime we hear the REAL numbers it seems to always be way off

67 million sales and growing is pretty good for a failed/last place console.

Damn, now I'm confused. I've been following only VGchartz' numbers for a while and they are really off compared to the article's ones. Still, honestly, I don't really care all that much who "won" this generation. At the end of the day, it's still all about the games and we are fortunate enough to be experiencing some of the greatest games in history thanks to this generation.

follow me on twitter at: @tweeting_yoan

Around the Network
selnor said:
chapset said:
selnor said:
So the real gap is 6.1 million between 360 and PS3.

This coincides with many other reports financial from actual figures rather than guesstimates on VGC.

Maybe VGC should ask Micosoft, Nintendo and Sony direct what their actual figures are. Bet they are these. Theres a reason VGC figures aren't quoted in media articles I guess. I always wondered that.

lol

lol at what?

I always wondered why Ive read 10 or 20 articles over the last 3 years on figures which NEVER include VGC figures. Yet always dont favour Sony as much as VGC does.

Man how many people tried to refute Microsoft when on the world stage at 3 seperate events in front of both Ninty and Sony they said they were the biggest selling console last year TO CONSUMER. Yet everyone here was blah blah blah.

dude you are so funny, i really like your sarcasm

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.

Train wreck said:
DirtyP2002 said:

Sony lost about 6-7 billion USD with one single product and are still in 3rd place.
They lost their exclusive 3rd party deals / franchises.
They hurt the Playstation brand in a big way.

Yet some people here think Sony did a good job this gen. Broaden your view!

Didn't the original xbox lose 4 billion, and wasnt that a single product?

exactly why its considered a failure. 

Guys, why bother? Everyone knows the difference with these numbers and the dates they are from. You are being trolled..

Train wreck said:
JayWood2010 said:
I've lost all faith in VGC numbers.

PS3 over-tacked by 3 million is horrible but they have been screwing up a lot lately and it seems the pre-orders are off now too

Then please do use all a favor and request a perma ban on your account.

Why he can still discuss games. Just do what I do and listen to the actual companies and other sources rather than VGC for numbers. VGC always say different to 20 other articles. Especially PS3.

Well i do see the PS3 passing the 360 soon so those PS3 numbers don't seem to be updated compared to the 70 million 360's.