By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Donors pulling funding from soup kitchen over Paul Ryan photoshoot

Mr Khan said:
Kasz216 said:
HappySqurriel said:
Kasz216 said:
twesterm said:

Of course I ask this fully realizing these are probably the same people that only donate for tax breaks.

Nobody donates for tax breaks.

Break in taxes you get for donating is always less then the amount of money you give away.

http://www.thesimpledollar.com/2011/12/18/charity-and-your-tax-bill/

This is due to the fact that we have a graduated tax bracket system.

People talking about "Dropping you into a lower tax bracket" are likely people who have never done their own taxes... since we have a graduated tax bracket.

Just to put numbers to your point ...

If you have an effective tax rate of 35% and you donate $1000 to charity and get a $1000 tax deduction this results in your taxes going down by $350; which means it still cost you $650 to donate $1000 to charity.

Yep... the whole "donates taxes to get a tax break" fallacy is one of the biggest arguements I hate, because it should be obvious to anyone who's ever paid attention to their own taxes.

That said, i'd argue that makes this worse.

Since people are pulling funding despite normall wanting to help people.

It could just be an effort of signalling, and that they'll put the money back in now that the St. Vincent DePaul Society has changed its policy (to allow no political candidate to use their facilities for any reason).

It's unfortunate, kind of like the Susan G Komen fiasco, where someone not quite in the position to make the call made a controversial, politicized call, causing one side to get mad, and then when the foundation leadership tried to retract it, it makes the other side mad, leaving you a known traitor to both sides (as far as the hyper-partisans go, anyway)

Ah, that's where that name comes from.  Looked familiar.  I literally just donated some money to the Susan G Komen foundation 5 minutes ago, and couldn't for the life of me remember why I remembered that name.

Around the Network
spaceguy said:
sethnintendo said:
twesterm said:
I actually don't care what he did or didn't do, whatever. If he really was there for 15 minutes and cleaned clean dishes, yeah, that's stupid, the guy is a jerk.

It's just the part that bothers me are the people that pulled their funding for the soup kitchen because someone political figure visited it. It's insane that people are that small and petty that they can't bare to have their precious money associated with anything that a person they don't 100% agree with also even pretends to support.

I mean do these same people also refuse to step foot in Wisconsin?

Think about it this way.  If we didn't have stupid presidential elections that waste millions of dollars from donators could we feed the homeless and fuel other projects instead?  Yes, and this is why I think our society is on verge of collapse.  We waste millions if not billions of dollars on candidates who probably won't even be elected.  Could that money be better used? Yes

I challenge anyone to stick up for the election process that the USA currently has.

Well republicans believe corporations are people. 

the supreme court and the constitution views corporations as groups of people.

but im guessing you also dont think unions are people either huh. or how about you and your family, not people either?

killerzX said:
spaceguy said:
sethnintendo said:
twesterm said:
I actually don't care what he did or didn't do, whatever. If he really was there for 15 minutes and cleaned clean dishes, yeah, that's stupid, the guy is a jerk.

It's just the part that bothers me are the people that pulled their funding for the soup kitchen because someone political figure visited it. It's insane that people are that small and petty that they can't bare to have their precious money associated with anything that a person they don't 100% agree with also even pretends to support.

Think about it this way.  If we didn't have stupid presidential elections that waste millions of dollars from donators could we feed the homeless and fuel other projects instead?  Yes, and this is why I think our society is on verge of collapse.  We waste millions if not billions of dollars on candidates who probably won't even be elected.  Could that money be better used? Yes

I challenge anyone to stick up for the election process that the USA currently has.

Well republicans believe corporations are people. 

but im guessing you also dont think unions are people either huh. or how about you and your family, not people either?

It's true... and hilarious really.

As much as people complain about citizens united ruling that corporations are people...

The citizens united ruling doesn't ever mention that.

It's just a myth propagated by people who are unwilling to actually read up on things and be informed before they decide to make their own opinions on the matter.

spaceguy said:
spaceguy said:
sethnintendo said:
twesterm said:

Well republicans believe corporations are people. Democrates want campaign reform and to amend the constitution to overturn citizens United. yet you got people like kaz that think it is a great idea that corporations are people and that corporations/rich own our politics, unless he has flipped his views but last year we had a big fight about this.

However onto the next note, i couldn't agree with you more.

Also to add to that. both campaigns will raise close to or over a billion dollars. what a great thing citizens united has down. Made money equal speech and if you have a lot of money you have a lot more speech. I'm all for public funded campaigns. This also would make the campaigns work for the people, rather then there top donators.

You do know citizens united didn't effect contributions to campaigns right?

Aside from which, despite probably thinking that MSNBC is either non-biased or right leaning.

At the very least you would have to agree that Fox News is biased correct?

In what world does citizens united have any meaning when news organizations can be as biased as they want to be?  (As they have to be able to be to have a free society.)

Kasz216 said:
HappySqurriel said:
Kasz216 said:
twesterm said:

Of course I ask this fully realizing these are probably the same people that only donate for tax breaks.

Break in taxes you get for donating is always less then the amount of money you give away.

People talking about "Dropping you into a lower tax bracket" are likely people who have never done their own taxes... since we have a graduated tax bracket.

If you have an effective tax rate of 35% and you donate $1000 to charity and get a $1000 tax deduction this results in your taxes going down by $350; which means it still cost you $650 to donate $1000 to charity.

Yep... the whole "donates taxes to get a tax break" fallacy is one of the biggest arguements I hate, because it should be obvious to anyone who's ever paid attention to their own taxes.

Huh, always thought it was bigger than that for some reason.  I know my wife and I donate to various things and it does something to the taxes...but no idea how much it actually helps since she usually does them (I use to always get money back until we got married, she makes a lot more than me so we always have to pay because of her so she gets the pleasure of doing taxes )

Around the Network
twesterm said:
Kasz216 said:
HappySqurriel said:
Kasz216 said:
twesterm said:

Huh, always thought it was bigger than that for some reason.  I know my wife and I donate to various things and it does something to the taxes...but no idea how much it actually helps since she usually does them (I use to always get money back until we got married, she makes a lot more than me so we always have to pay because of her so she gets the pleasure of doing taxes )

Basically how it works is that if you donate money, it comes out of your taxable income.

So... say you live in a really poor country and make $200 a year.

The tax rate is like ours... so on the first $100 you make, you pay 10% in taxes.

On the second $200 you make you pay 20%.

So you'd pay $30 in taxes total.  10 bucks from the first 100.  Then 20 off of the second 100.

If you donate $100 to charity, it comes out of your taxable income.  So... as far as the government see's it... you've only earned $100 in taxes this year.

So you pay $10 in taxes.  Saving you $20 in taxes.   However you paid $100 to get their.  So you have a net "loss" of $80 if you don't care about chairty.

Kasz216 said:
twesterm said:

True story: I once had an employee tell me that she seriously considered asking for a lower salary because she didn't want to go to a higher tax bracket.

killerzX said:

What is the basis for your statement that the Constitution views corporations as groups of people?

Talk about a very selfish act, soup kitchens are needed at this time, due to high unemployment. Fuck these stupid donors

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

the2real4mafol said:
Talk about a very selfish act, soup kitchens are needed at this time, due to high unemployment. Fuck these stupid donors

I think you can see why this soup kitchen said it doesn't want to get interjected into politics.  Moment that happens, someone gets offended.

richardhutnik said:
the2real4mafol said:

I think you can see why this soup kitchen said it doesn't want to get interjected into politics.  Moment that happens, someone gets offended.

Yeah a soup kitchen should be for the needy, it shouldn't get involved in other things really

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018