By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Donors pulling funding from soup kitchen over Paul Ryan photoshoot

thismeintiel said:
fordy said:
I heard Ryan practically broke the door down trying to get into the kitchen in order to have a photo-op. Then he spent the time cleaning dishes that were already clean.

How exactly did the soup kitchen have a say in this, again? Why do THEY deserve to be punished?

It seems you didn't read the correction to the original story.

"CORRECTION: Mahoning County St. Vincent De Paul Society President Brian Antal has since said that the Washington Post mischaracterized his statements, and that Paul Ryan did clean dirty dishes, according to NBCNEWS.com. He attributes his previous story to an incorrect second-hand account." - Source

What was reported over here is that the "Soup thing" had long been over before Ryan stormed the kitchen. The stuff he "cleaned" looks obviously clean in the vids. A massive footbullet for Ryan so I assume large wads of cash changed hands to "rectify" a few accounts...

Around the Network
sethnintendo said:
thismeintiel said:
fordy said:
I heard Ryan practically broke the door down trying to get into the kitchen in order to have a photo-op. Then he spent the time cleaning dishes that were already clean.

How exactly did the soup kitchen have a say in this, again? Why do THEY deserve to be punished?

"CORRECTION: Mahoning County St. Vincent De Paul Society President Brian Antal has since said that the Washington Post mischaracterized his statements, and that Paul Ryan did clean dirty dishes, according to NBCNEWS.com. He attributes his previous story to an incorrect second-hand account." - Source

Thank god he washed dirty dishes instead of clean dishes.  Still doesn't explain that he showed up after people were allowed to come eat.  If he really wanted a decent photo op why not serve them food?  You don't have to clean up shit and you get to meet people.  I was a busser/dishwasher in a few of my jobs so I know what fucking dirty dishes are.  What I saw in that footage wasn't too dirty.  

The NBC link explained that, too. He had a public function earlier that ran longer than originally sceduled.  Given that, he could of just called the whole thing off.  However, he decided to go and help out, even if there wasn't much they needed him and his family to do when they got there.

That is quite pathetic... reminds me of children who don't want a toy anymore because their brother touched it.

noname2200 said:
twesterm said:

I usually steer far away from most political discussions because I just generally don't care, but I happened to read this--

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/18/soup-kitchen-paul-ryan-photo-donor_n_1980541.html

I totally get why people are upset over the completely fake photoshoot, that makes total sense, but what actually kind of irks me are the people that are pulling their funding for their soup kitchen.  

Are you freaking kidding me?

Are these people really that shallow that if they let some political figure they don't like they'll actually screw over the people that soup kitchen is helping?  Of course I ask this fully realizing these are probably the same people that only donate for tax breaks.  Screw those people, they suck.

Am I simply misunderstanding you, or are you thinking that the folks pulling their donations are the folks that hate Ryan?

Isn't that what the article is saying?  People are pulling their donations to the charity because it's now associated with Ryan.  

drkohler said:
thismeintiel said:
fordy said:

What was reported over here is that the "Soup thing" had long been over before Ryan stormed the kitchen. The stuff he "cleaned" looks obviously clean in the vids. A massive footbullet for Ryan so I assume large wads of cash changed hands to "rectify" a few accounts...

The guy consistently votes Democrat, so I doubt he would try and paint Ryan in a better light, even for money.  Well, unless you're trying to say he has poor character?

Around the Network
twesterm said:
noname2200 said:
twesterm said:

I usually steer far away from most political discussions because I just generally don't care, but I happened to read this--

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/18/soup-kitchen-paul-ryan-photo-donor_n_1980541.html

I totally get why people are upset over the completely fake photoshoot, that makes total sense, but what actually kind of irks me are the people that are pulling their funding for their soup kitchen.  

Are you freaking kidding me?

Are these people really that shallow that if they let some political figure they don't like they'll actually screw over the people that soup kitchen is helping?  Of course I ask this fully realizing these are probably the same people that only donate for tax breaks.  Screw those people, they suck.

Am I simply misunderstanding you, or are you thinking that the folks pulling their donations are the folks that hate Ryan?

Isn't that what the article is saying?  People are pulling their donations to the charity because it's now associated with Ryan.  

I'm pretty sure it's the precise opposite.

" In the wake of Rep. Paul Ryan's embarrassing soup kitchen photo-op last week, the organization that runs the facility tells The Huffington Post that donors have begun pulling their money out of the Youngstown, Ohio charity. Ryan may have suffered a few late-night jokes, but the fallout for the soup kitchen appears to be far more bruising. Brian J. Antal, president of the Mahoning County St. Vincent De Paul Society, confirmed that donors have begun an exodus in protest over Ryan's embarrassment.

..."Antal's charity represents the kind of organization that conservative Republicans might champion. But that was before the Ryan incident went viral a few days ago.

..."Ryan supporters have now targeted Antal and his soup kitchen, Antal said, including making hundreds of angry phone calls."

NintendoPie said:
That is quite pathetic... reminds me of children who don't want a toy anymore because their brother touched it.

It was my sister.  And, she had cooties.

It's quite interesting that conservatives champion charity organisations as an alternative to government welfare, but only when they speak no ill of their guy, otherwise they kick said charities to the curb.

Stay classy, conservatives.

fordy said:
It's quite interesting that conservatives champion charity organisations as an alternative to government welfare, but only when they speak no ill of their guy, otherwise they kick said charities to the curb.

You know, you could just read the updated Washington Post article.  People on both sides are threatening to pull further donations, which is a real shame.  Of course,they could just be empty threats.  We'll have to wait and see.

thismeintiel said:
fordy said:

You know, you could just read the updated Washington Post article.  People on both sides are threatening to pull further donations, which is a real shame.  Of course,they could just be empty threats.  We'll have to wait and see.

And I have stated in  a previous reply why his backpedal was necessary. It wasn't because he was tripped out and saw things that weren't there. He has to save face for the good of the chairty. If that includes supressing the truth, so be it.

But answer this for me: with the dozens of cameras around filming Ryan, how come none of them captured him washing dirty dishes? Seems like they all had their attention drawn away at that critical moment, was it not?