By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Donors pulling funding from soup kitchen over Paul Ryan photoshoot

I usually steer far away from most political discussions because I just generally don't care, but I happened to read this--

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/18/soup-kitchen-paul-ryan-photo-donor_n_1980541.html

I totally get why people are upset over the completely fake photoshoot, that makes total sense, but what actually kind of irks me are the people that are pulling their funding for their soup kitchen.  

Are you freaking kidding me?

Are these people really that shallow that if they let some political figure they don't like they'll actually screw over the people that soup kitchen is helping?  Of course I ask this fully realizing these are probably the same people that only donate for tax breaks.  Screw those people, they suck.

Around the Network

I heard Ryan practically broke the door down trying to get into the kitchen in order to have a photo-op. Then he spent the time cleaning dishes that were already clean.

How exactly did the soup kitchen have a say in this, again? Why do THEY deserve to be punished?

Talk about a photo op that goes bad..... The Daily Show completely fucked him on this.

So, people are blaming the victim in this? I do not understand.

fordy said:
I heard Ryan practically broke the door down trying to get into the kitchen in order to have a photo-op. Then he spent the time cleaning dishes that were already clean.

How exactly did the soup kitchen have a say in this, again? Why do THEY deserve to be punished?

It seems you didn't read the correction to the original story.

"CORRECTION: Mahoning County St. Vincent De Paul Society President Brian Antal has since said that the Washington Post mischaracterized his statements, and that Paul Ryan did clean dirty dishes, according to NBCNEWS.com. He attributes his previous story to an incorrect second-hand account." - Source

Around the Network
thismeintiel said:
fordy said:

"CORRECTION: Mahoning County St. Vincent De Paul Society President Brian Antal has since said that the Washington Post mischaracterized his statements, and that Paul Ryan did clean dirty dishes, according to NBCNEWS.com. He attributes his previous story to an incorrect second-hand account." - Source

Thank god he washed dirty dishes instead of clean dishes.  Still doesn't explain that he showed up after people were allowed to come eat.  If he really wanted a decent photo op why not serve them food?  You don't have to clean up shit and you get to meet people.  I was a busser/dishwasher in a few of my jobs so I know what fucking dirty dishes are.  What I saw in that footage wasn't dirty.  

I actually don't care what he did or didn't do, whatever. If he really was there for 15 minutes and cleaned clean dishes, yeah, that's stupid, the guy is a jerk.

It's just the part that bothers me are the people that pulled their funding for the soup kitchen because someone political figure visited it. It's insane that people are that small and petty that they can't bare to have their precious money associated with anything that a person they don't 100% agree with also even pretends to support.

I mean do these same people also refuse to step foot in Wisconsin?

twesterm said:
I actually don't care what he did or didn't do, whatever. If he really was there for 15 minutes and cleaned clean dishes, yeah, that's stupid, the guy is a jerk.

It's just the part that bothers me are the people that pulled their funding for the soup kitchen because someone political figure visited it. It's insane that people are that small and petty that they can't bare to have their precious money associated with anything that a person they don't 100% agree with also even pretends to support.

I mean do these same people also refuse to step foot in Wisconsin?

Think about it this way.  If we didn't have stupid presidential elections that waste millions of dollars from donators could we feed the homeless and fuel other projects instead?  Yes, and this is why I think our society is on verge of collapse.  We waste millions if not billions of dollars on candidates who probably won't even be elected.  Could that money be better used? Yes

I challenge anyone to stick up for the election process that the USA currently has.

twesterm said:

I usually steer far away from most political discussions because I just generally don't care, but I happened to read this--

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/18/soup-kitchen-paul-ryan-photo-donor_n_1980541.html

I totally get why people are upset over the completely fake photoshoot, that makes total sense, but what actually kind of irks me are the people that are pulling their funding for their soup kitchen.  

Are you freaking kidding me?

Are these people really that shallow that if they let some political figure they don't like they'll actually screw over the people that soup kitchen is helping?  Of course I ask this fully realizing these are probably the same people that only donate for tax breaks.  Screw those people, they suck.

Am I simply misunderstanding you, or are you thinking that the folks pulling their donations are the folks that hate Ryan?

thismeintiel said:
fordy said:

All in an attempt to try and save some of this funding being pulled, as stated by this thread.

It's rather low and despicable when the truth is silenced because people are afraid of losing their funding from poeple intent to get conservatives in power at any cost.