By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Donors pulling funding from soup kitchen over Paul Ryan photoshoot

I live very close to where that photo-op was taken, and apparently the Ryan campaign did indeed basically beat down the door to get in (arm-twisting someone who didn't even have the authority to allow him to do the photo-op) and told them that they had to leave some dishes for Ryan and his family to clean.

So, yeah, totally bogus photo-op.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network
twesterm said:

Of course I ask this fully realizing these are probably the same people that only donate for tax breaks.

Nobody donates for tax breaks.

Break in taxes you get for donating is always less then the amount of money you give away.

http://www.thesimpledollar.com/2011/12/18/charity-and-your-tax-bill/

This is due to the fact that we have a graduated tax bracket system.

People talking about "Dropping you into a lower tax bracket" are likely people who have never done their own taxes... since we have a graduated tax bracket.

d21lewis said:
NintendoPie said:
That is quite pathetic... reminds me of children who don't want a toy anymore because their brother touched it.

It was my sister.  And, she had cooties.

Well then that is completely understandable, no one wants cooties.

Mr Khan said:
I live very close to where that photo-op was taken, and apparently the Ryan campaign did indeed basically beat down the door to get in (arm-twisting someone who didn't even have the authority to allow him to do the photo-op) and told them that they had to leave some dishes for Ryan and his family to clean.

So, yeah, totally bogus photo-op.

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/jon-stewart-mocks-paul-ryans-soup-kitchen-story-add-some-oomph-to-manipulating-peoples-emotions/

Jon Stewart asks how much you have to mess up to make volunteering in soup kitchen look bad.

As for there being some sort of spin in this thread how the person running the soup kitchen is a Democrat, and that is an issue, you had a restaurant owned by a person who was a Republican refusing to serve Joe Biden of Obama's "You didn't build that" statement.  Things like this happen.  Anyhow, I am curious how many pro-Romney folk actually run soup kitchens.

sethnintendo said:
twesterm said:
I actually don't care what he did or didn't do, whatever. If he really was there for 15 minutes and cleaned clean dishes, yeah, that's stupid, the guy is a jerk.

It's just the part that bothers me are the people that pulled their funding for the soup kitchen because someone political figure visited it. It's insane that people are that small and petty that they can't bare to have their precious money associated with anything that a person they don't 100% agree with also even pretends to support.

I mean do these same people also refuse to step foot in Wisconsin?

Think about it this way.  If we didn't have stupid presidential elections that waste millions of dollars from donators could we feed the homeless and fuel other projects instead?  Yes, and this is why I think our society is on verge of collapse.  We waste millions if not billions of dollars on candidates who probably won't even be elected.  Could that money be better used? Yes

I challenge anyone to stick up for the election process that the USA currently has.

Well republicans believe corporations are people. Democrates want campaign reform and to amend the constitution to overturn citizens United. yet you got people like kaz that think it is a great idea that corporations are people and that corporations/rich own our politics, unless he has flipped his views but last year we had a big fight about this.

However onto the next note, i couldn't agree with you more.

Around the Network
spaceguy said:
sethnintendo said:
twesterm said:
I actually don't care what he did or didn't do, whatever. If he really was there for 15 minutes and cleaned clean dishes, yeah, that's stupid, the guy is a jerk.

It's just the part that bothers me are the people that pulled their funding for the soup kitchen because someone political figure visited it. It's insane that people are that small and petty that they can't bare to have their precious money associated with anything that a person they don't 100% agree with also even pretends to support.

I mean do these same people also refuse to step foot in Wisconsin?

Think about it this way.  If we didn't have stupid presidential elections that waste millions of dollars from donators could we feed the homeless and fuel other projects instead?  Yes, and this is why I think our society is on verge of collapse.  We waste millions if not billions of dollars on candidates who probably won't even be elected.  Could that money be better used? Yes

I challenge anyone to stick up for the election process that the USA currently has.

Well republicans believe corporations are people. Democrates want campaign reform and to amend the constitution to overturn citizens United. yet you got people like kaz that think it is a great idea that corporations are people and that corporations/rich own our politics, unless he has flipped his views but last year we had a big fight about this.

However onto the next note, i couldn't agree with you more.

Also to add to that. both campaigns will raise close to or over a billion dollars. what a great thing citizens united has down. Made money equal speech and if you have a lot of money you have a lot more speech. I'm all for public funded campaigns. This also would make the campaigns work for the people, rather then there top donators.

noname2200 said:
twesterm said:
noname2200 said:
twesterm said:

I usually steer far away from most political discussions because I just generally don't care, but I happened to read this--

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/18/soup-kitchen-paul-ryan-photo-donor_n_1980541.html

I totally get why people are upset over the completely fake photoshoot, that makes total sense, but what actually kind of irks me are the people that are pulling their funding for their soup kitchen.  

Are you freaking kidding me?

Are these people really that shallow that if they let some political figure they don't like they'll actually screw over the people that soup kitchen is helping?  Of course I ask this fully realizing these are probably the same people that only donate for tax breaks.  Screw those people, they suck.

Am I simply misunderstanding you, or are you thinking that the folks pulling their donations are the folks that hate Ryan?

Isn't that what the article is saying?  People are pulling their donations to the charity because it's now associated with Ryan.  

I'm pretty sure it's the precise opposite.

" In the wake of Rep. Paul Ryan's embarrassing soup kitchen photo-op last week, the organization that runs the facility tells The Huffington Post that donors have begun pulling their money out of the Youngstown, Ohio charity. Ryan may have suffered a few late-night jokes, but the fallout for the soup kitchen appears to be far more bruising. Brian J. Antal, president of the Mahoning County St. Vincent De Paul Society, confirmed that donors have begun an exodus in protest over Ryan's embarrassment.

..."Antal's charity represents the kind of organization that conservative Republicans might champion. But that was before the Ryan incident went viral a few days ago.

..."Ryan supporters have now targeted Antal and his soup kitchen, Antal said, including making hundreds of angry phone calls."

Whatever the case, people are pulling donations to an actual charity because of some political figures douchbaggery.  They're hurting people to prove a point.  They are dicks.

Kasz216 said:
twesterm said:

Of course I ask this fully realizing these are probably the same people that only donate for tax breaks.

Break in taxes you get for donating is always less then the amount of money you give away.

People talking about "Dropping you into a lower tax bracket" are likely people who have never done their own taxes... since we have a graduated tax bracket.

Just to put numbers to your point ...

If you have an effective tax rate of 35% and you donate $1000 to charity and get a $1000 tax deduction this results in your taxes going down by $350; which means it still cost you $650 to donate $1000 to charity.

HappySqurriel said:
Kasz216 said:
twesterm said:

If you have an effective tax rate of 35% and you donate $1000 to charity and get a $1000 tax deduction this results in your taxes going down by $350; which means it still cost you $650 to donate $1000 to charity.

Yep... the whole "donates taxes to get a tax break" fallacy is one of the biggest arguements I hate, because it should be obvious to anyone who's ever paid attention to their own taxes.

That said, i'd argue that makes this worse.

Since people are pulling funding despite normall wanting to help people.

Kasz216 said:
HappySqurriel said:
Kasz216 said:
twesterm said:

Yep... the whole "donates taxes to get a tax break" fallacy is one of the biggest arguements I hate, because it should be obvious to anyone who's ever paid attention to their own taxes.

That said, i'd argue that makes this worse.

Since people are pulling funding despite normall wanting to help people.

It could just be an effort of signalling, and that they'll put the money back in now that the St. Vincent DePaul Society has changed its policy (to allow no political candidate to use their facilities for any reason).

It's unfortunate, kind of like the Susan G Komen fiasco, where someone not quite in the position to make the call made a controversial, politicized call, causing one side to get mad, and then when the foundation leadership tried to retract it, it makes the other side mad, leaving you a known traitor to both sides (as far as the hyper-partisans go, anyway)

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.