By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Are people still confusing Wii U with Wii?

Tagged games:

Hmm... I would say this is probably just the result of a very vocal minority asking questions about the displayed title. Questions like "Will this be playable on the Wii?" must be very common from impulse customers. The rest most likely already looked up details on the internet and won't bother the employees.

Similar things happens with lots products.

Around the Network
Veknoid_Outcast said:

OK, trying this again. My first attempt at this thread never got off the ground.

So, I was in Walmart on Thursday night, and I saw a sign in the video game section that was aimed at fans asking about New Super Mario Bros. U.

I asked one of the nearby clerks about the sign, and he said that people were confusing New Super Mario Bros. U for a Wii title. Obviously this happened enough times to warrant a posted sign. Although, the sign doesn't help matters by referring to New Super Mario Bros. U as New Super Mario Bros. 2.

I had hoped a lot of the confusion about Wii vs. Wii U has dissipated, but maybe that's not the case.

Have any of you seen examples like this one, and do you think there is still a good amount of confusion over what Wii U really is?

New Super Mario Bros 2 is already out and available for the 3DS actually....

But what is Wii and Wii U... people will always get confused about everything... 3ds and ds are not that different either....

Switch!!!

lol that's hilarious!

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

Never worked in retail but I knew a few people who worked in the electronics department at Walmart (way) back when I was in university ...

From what I was told, around 70% of consumers had a really good understanding of the systems, games and accessories, about 25% demonstrated some confusion (can a PS2 controller work with the XBox? When does The Legend of Zelda come out for the PS2?), and about 5% were misinformed morons (Nintendo bans M rated games on the Gamecube, that's why you will never see a game like Resident Evil released for it).

I imagine that the 30% of confused or misinformed gamers probably don't have a good understanding of the Wii U yet, and will likely have to be informed before they get it ...

Outside of forums like this, I haven't heard anyone talking about WiiU. I don't think Joe Q Public is even aware of it yet.

Around the Network
IIIIITHE1IIIII said:

Hmm... I would say this is probably just the result of a very vocal minority asking questions about the displayed title. Questions like "Will this be playable on the Wii?" must be very common from impulse customers. The rest most likely already looked up details on the internet and won't bother the employees.

Yep.

There are customers who come in a store and ask employees if a Gamecube game can play on a PS2 or if a 360 game is playable on a PS3.

Some people just have no clue.

BasilZero said:
Play4Fun said:
IIIIITHE1IIIII said:

Yep.

There are customers who come in a store and ask employees if a Gamecube game can play on a PS2 or if a 360 game is playable on a PS3.

Some people just have no clue.

They should tell the customers, "No but the PC can!".

That would save retail PC games.

3DS Friend Code: 0645 - 5827 - 5788
WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero

Veknoid_Outcast said:

OK, trying this again. My first attempt at this thread never got off the ground.

So, I was in Walmart on Thursday night, and I saw a sign in the video game section that was aimed at fans asking about New Super Mario Bros. U.

I asked one of the nearby clerks about the sign, and he said that people were confusing New Super Mario Bros. U for a Wii title. Obviously this happened enough times to warrant a posted sign. Although, the sign doesn't help matters by referring to New Super Mario Bros. U as New Super Mario Bros. 2.

I had hoped a lot of the confusion about Wii vs. Wii U has dissipated, but maybe that's not the case.

Have any of you seen examples like this one, and do you think there is still a good amount of confusion over what Wii U really is?

I'm sure this happens to every system.  Hell I bet they have tons of people ask where the mario game is on the ps3.

Parents don't know anything about games and this sign is just the walmart employee being lazy in not wanting to repeat himself.   I bet he still has people come up and ask what a Wii U is.  

Well, as long as there are still people buying halo for their PS3(they are), there will be people buying Wii U games for Wii. Stupidity has no end.

Play4Fun said:
It's all up to the marketing campaign, which hasn't started yet.

QFT. Nintendo just needs to start advertising the WiiU to inform people as to what it is and what games will be on it.

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046