By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS4 Development "stretching Sony studios thin"

http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/playstation-4-game-development-stretching-sony-studios-thin/

Interesting article because it pretty much confirms that we'll be seeing a PS4 release sometime next year. It also suggests that the PS4 will be another super-powerful console, similar to what they achieved with the PS3.

Unfortunately it sounds like they're having issues trying to support all 3 of their consoles at the moment - if I were them, I'd release whatever games they have in development for PS3 soon, focus on Vita for 2013 (PS4 should have a good first few months regardless of software), and then focus on PS4 (not forgetting about Vita though) during 2014 onwards.

What do you think?

Click this button, you know you want to!  [Subscribe]

Watch me on YouTube!

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheRadishBros

~~~~ Mario Kart 8 drove far past my expectations! Never again will I doubt the wheels of a Monster Franchise! :0 ~~~~

Around the Network

They could really use the current profits gained from PS3, but not fully supporting the PS4 from start could be a worse investment for the future. Having another Vita similar launch woild probably hit them hard.

Hopefully they will solve this situation.

Edit: Hmm... I might want to reconsider after reading Kowen's posts...

kowenicki said:
radishhead said:

http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/playstation-4-game-development-stretching-sony-studios-thin/

Interesting article because it pretty much confirms that we'll be seeing a PS4 release sometime next year. It also suggests that the PS4 will be another super-powerful console, similar to what they achieved with the PS3.

Unfortunately it sounds like they're having issues trying to support all 3 of their consoles at the moment - if I were them, I'd release whatever games they have in development for PS3 soon, focus on Vita for 2013 (PS4 should have a good first few months regardless of software), and then focus on PS4 (not forgetting about Vita though) during 2014 onwards.

What do you think?

Article:

Considering how Sony has priced new models of the PlayStation 3 going into Christmas, it’s clear that the company aims to have that machine as its primary focus for at least another calendar year.

I think the author of that article is misinterpreting the facts. PS4 development is well underway - that alone strongly suggests that we're looking at a 2013 release

Click this button, you know you want to!  [Subscribe]

Watch me on YouTube!

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheRadishBros

~~~~ Mario Kart 8 drove far past my expectations! Never again will I doubt the wheels of a Monster Franchise! :0 ~~~~

they are talking about first party, there is always 3rd party

radishhead said:

What do you think?

A super-powerful console should have a good first few months regardless of software ?

that worked wonders for the PS3.  The 3rd place this gen.

Around the Network

If this is true that Sony's next console will be super powerful, that means that it will either be very expensive, or will cause Sony to take massive losses on it. Sony has become unable to learn from their mistakes. This may be Sony's last console.

Nintendo Network ID: Flanneryaug

Friend Code: 4699 - 6552 - 3671

Add me! :)

Super powerful PS4 in 2014 or later.

I know I will get blasted for this but if this is true they should drop the vita and forget handhelds. Wait before you immediately reply. Hear me out. Whatever big impact sony was ever going to make in the handheld market is pretty much gone now and they don't have much to gain anymore. Ps3 has a lot of life left in it and consoles is what they are better at. So if something has to give I would drop vita.

One more thing to complete my year = senran kagura localization =D

There has been a lot of speculation that one of the two non-Nintendo consoles would not come out until 2014.

Looking at the CVG interview quotes found in this article as well as some of the facts found in the body of the article text, it would not be surprising not to see The PS4 until 2014.

And if Sony is truly building a super high-end console, it has not learned the lessons, either as a gaming division or as a company, from the PS3 launch. (I base this on the 4K TV support statement). Only this time, Sony is expecting profits from its gaming division and does not have the banked profits to withstand sustained losses -- either for gaming or corporately.

Thus, the last statement about this being potentially tough times for Kaz Hiari is most likely correct.

Mike from Morgantown

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

Well i don't know what to make of this rumor but if true then Sony is in trouble.