By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS4 Development "stretching Sony studios thin"

kowenicki said:
That is actually a pretty negative article. Im surprised you draw anything positive from it. But lets look at it.

"Having difficulty supporting all 3 consoles" ? Vita is hardly prolific in its release, PS3 has a few big titles on the go and PS4 isn't even out yet.

There is nothing concrete in that piece at all. You and the reporter, who didn't even conduct the interview with Gara, and is merely guessing by reading between the lines of an interview he didn't even attend, have just drawn some spurious conclusions.

There is no evidence they are struggling, a "challenge to manage resources" is just business, that's how it is.
There is no evidence that is will be a "super-powerful console, similar to what they achieved with the PS3"
The evidence in that article actually points more to a 2014 release than 2013, so why do you say "we'll be seeing PS4 release sometime next year"

So the article is just a bunch of words where someone has interpreted the words of an interview in a different original article and your post is further interpretation of the second article. Chinese whispers.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Spot on.

Around the Network
osed125 said:
DanneSandin said:
Rafux said:
People forget how much Blu ray increased the PS3 price back in 2006. My prediction is PS4/720 $400 Basic $500 Premium which is affordable.

You crazy bro? People complain about WiiU's price point ($299 and $349), so $499 is out of the question. And they can't afford to lose $100/sold PS4. It'll be $399 at most.

Sad we live in a world where paying $600 for a phone it's ok but more than $400 for a console it's consider too expensive :(

Yeah I know. Guess that's why MS and Nintendo are trying to introduce new features (TVii) so that they can take money for it next gen (in like 7 years :P)

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Rafux said:
DanneSandin said:
Rafux said:
People forget how much Blu ray increased the PS3 price back in 2006. My prediction is PS4/720 $400 Basic $500 Premium which is affordable.

You crazy bro? People complain about WiiU's price point ($299 and $349), so $499 is out of the question. And they can't afford to lose $100/sold PS4. It'll be $399 at most.

People complaint about WiiU price because so far it doesn't look like a leap over PS3/360 and neither you or me can see the future PS4/720 $400 Basic $500 Premium is my prediction we'll see what happens.

Naaaw you're right. I just don't believe people are ready to pay 500 bucks for a gaming machine - just look at the launch of PS3.

DanneSandin said:
teigaga said:
DanneSandin said:
I'm not buying any of this... Sony's not that stupid that they'd make yet another high end super console AND launch last (2014) AND have poor support for it - no way they that stupid.

They can make a super console, but it doesn't need to be $600. The bluray player alone cost $200-$300 at the ps3's launch. This willl not happen again as the Blu Ray Drives are now significantly cheaper and with new discs allowing 128GB of storage there is more then enough for Next Gen development.

The Processor was also stupidly expensive, reportedly twice as expensive as the 360's. Are the graphic we on the ps3 twice that of the 360? No. Sony won't go the propriety root again (to the extent they did) in regards to the processor for the PS4.

Also both the wii U and  720 will come with expensive accessories, being the control and kinect 2 (I'm assuming Kinect 2 will be bundled). Sony don't have to deal with that cost and dedicate it the overall power of the system, theoretically launching a system the same price as the 720 but more powerfull. 

In terms of launching late, I doubt it will matter much and maybe the added year is needed to give them the power gains/cost efficiency that they need. People need to remember that the Xbox360 acheived very little in its launch year and had very few titles on it, its only towards the end of 2006 that they scored their 1st hit with Gears and other 3rd party's finally started to release Next Gen games. I hounestly think they could have launched in late 2006 with gears as a launch title and they would have done just as well if not better, as they would have probably have avoided all of the RROD drama and negative press.

Sony have gone on record and said that they don't wanna be last one out this time around, or at least not far behind. So that would mean March 2014 at the very latest. But if they did launch a whole year after x3ox they'd loose a lot of sales; what you have to remember is that xbox360 were the first - and only - next gen for a whole year. This time a around we'll have TWO next gen systems out for up to TWO years. No way PS4 will be able to bounce back from  that.

Sony can't afford to bleed money like MS can, and people ain't gonna buy a $499 next year, and probably not the year after that. Let's say that the average costumer might spend $399 on a new console - and that's pushing it, considering there's been a lot of complains about Wii U's pricing ($299 and $349). Which means it won't pack enough power to be a major leap over WiiU or x3ox. MS could easily sell x3ox+Kinect2 for $399 and lose $100, thus being on par with PS4. Why wait a whole year (or two) for a console that won't offer much more than what's already on the shelves today - and for a more expansive price none the less??

3rd parties are definetly going to release next gen games for WiiBox during the year before ps4 is released. Both platforms will have gained a good footing since x3ox will get ports from the WiiU and vice versa while ps4 is waiting to get released

I don't know... As I said before, aside from 6-7m units of boasting rights, what did the headstart provide microsoft? ultimately its just speculatuion I think you can take microsofts head start away and they'd be in the same position they were in today. In my opinion life started for the 360 november 2006 when Gears and other 3rd party games arrived and its success today is a result of sensible pricing on behalf of microsoft, good 3rd party support and terrible pricing on behalf of Sony. 

In terms of 3rd parties releasing next gen games ahead of the ps4 launch, there will be a few but most will  probably also be available on 360/PS3 ports and I see no reason why 720 will be seeing any Wii U ports. I'm just looking at previous gen trends, all the big titles for this gen arrived in 2007. Seeing as so many good games are still being developed for current platforms, I think this trend will remain.

Realistically Sony are not going to lauch at a mass market price, but you don't need the mass market to make your launch a success. The Mass Markets aren't normally the ones who pick up a system during their launch window (except the wii). I don't see any other route for Sony other then power+killer games, I doubt they'd create innovative technology strong enough to trump Kinect2 but they also can't have their system the same price as the 720 without the added inceptive that power will provide them. In regards to the Wii U, dare I say people complained about the $299-$349 price tag because its pecieved as a 360 minus the harddrive and a new control, as opposed to bleeding edge next gen tech.

DanneSandin said:
Rafux said:

People complain about the Wii U price because they think its a glorified xbox360. The wii was a glorified gamecube with a new control and lauched for $250, I think people expected the same for the Wii U.

Around the Network

If the PS4 supports 4K, then it would make sense that it is a high end spec console like the PS3 was at launch. And as a result will cost more money. But when it does get ready to launch it makes much more sense for Sony to support the PS4 with it's big hitters rather than make another Uncharted/Killzone/Gran Turismo for the PS3. The reason is that the PS3 now has the install base to sell and survive on third party games. GTA V, Modern Warefare 4, Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell and Rainbow 6: Patriots, Fifa 14, Madden 14, Dragon Age III, and many others are more than enough to keep the userbase playing games. But since it's Sony's job to sell hardware and third party publishers to sell games, Sony is going to have to put full support behind the PS4.
Even though Uncharted is my favorite PS3 series, I don't think it would be smart for them to rely on it in the early stages of the PS4. Not because the game wouldn't sell, but because it's a short linear single player game and the multiplayer is a secondary focus to the majority of it's fans. But because there will undoubtedly be not very many games for each user's tastes, they should release games like Gran Turismo or Killzone which users tend to eat up a lot of hours playing and will be satisfied for a longer period of time and will encourage friends to get the same games to play online with them while other games are being developed.

Games I would use to Support PS3 in 2013/14 are mostly well established single player games and casual party games like Uncharted, God Of War, InFamous, Sly Cooper, Ratchet & Clank, MediEvil, Syphon Filter next Quantic Dream game, Singstar, Buzz!, Sports Champions 2, Start the Party 2, Ape Escape, Little bIg Planet 3. Obviously not all those games, but games of that nature.

Games I would use to support the PS4 in 2013/14 are mostly games with online multiplayer and more for the "hardcore" or the niche audience with games like KIllzone 4, Gran Turismo 6, Playstation All Stars, a new Japanese style RPG, a SOCOM/MAG type game, and a few other new IP with elements of multiplayer and a sense of community.

teigaga said:
DanneSandin said:
teigaga said:
DanneSandin said:
I'm not buying any of this... Sony's not that stupid that they'd make yet another high end super console AND launch last (2014) AND have poor support for it - no way they that stupid.

They can make a super console, but it doesn't need to be $600. The bluray player alone cost $200-$300 at the ps3's launch. This willl not happen again as the Blu Ray Drives are now significantly cheaper and with new discs allowing 128GB of storage there is more then enough for Next Gen development.

The Processor was also stupidly expensive, reportedly twice as expensive as the 360's. Are the graphic we on the ps3 twice that of the 360? No. Sony won't go the propriety root again (to the extent they did) in regards to the processor for the PS4.

Also both the wii U and  720 will come with expensive accessories, being the control and kinect 2 (I'm assuming Kinect 2 will be bundled). Sony don't have to deal with that cost and dedicate it the overall power of the system, theoretically launching a system the same price as the 720 but more powerfull. 

In terms of launching late, I doubt it will matter much and maybe the added year is needed to give them the power gains/cost efficiency that they need. People need to remember that the Xbox360 acheived very little in its launch year and had very few titles on it, its only towards the end of 2006 that they scored their 1st hit with Gears and other 3rd party's finally started to release Next Gen games. I hounestly think they could have launched in late 2006 with gears as a launch title and they would have done just as well if not better, as they would have probably have avoided all of the RROD drama and negative press.

Sony have gone on record and said that they don't wanna be last one out this time around, or at least not far behind. So that would mean March 2014 at the very latest. But if they did launch a whole year after x3ox they'd loose a lot of sales; what you have to remember is that xbox360 were the first - and only - next gen for a whole year. This time a around we'll have TWO next gen systems out for up to TWO years. No way PS4 will be able to bounce back from  that.

Sony can't afford to bleed money like MS can, and people ain't gonna buy a $499 next year, and probably not the year after that. Let's say that the average costumer might spend $399 on a new console - and that's pushing it, considering there's been a lot of complains about Wii U's pricing ($299 and $349). Which means it won't pack enough power to be a major leap over WiiU or x3ox. MS could easily sell x3ox+Kinect2 for $399 and lose $100, thus being on par with PS4. Why wait a whole year (or two) for a console that won't offer much more than what's already on the shelves today - and for a more expansive price none the less??

3rd parties are definetly going to release next gen games for WiiBox during the year before ps4 is released. Both platforms will have gained a good footing since x3ox will get ports from the WiiU and vice versa while ps4 is waiting to get released

I don't know... As I said before, aside from 6-7m units of boasting rights, what did the headstart provide microsoft? ultimately its just speculatuion I think you can take microsofts head start away and they'd be in the same position they were in today. In my opinion life started for the 360 november 2006 when Gears and other 3rd party games arrived and its success today is a result of sensible pricing on behalf of microsoft, good 3rd party support and terrible pricing on behalf of Sony. 

In terms of 3rd parties releasing next gen games ahead of the ps4 launch, there will be a few but most will  probably also be available on 360/PS3 ports and I see no reason why 720 will be seeing any Wii U ports. I'm just looking at previous gen trends, all the big titles for this gen arrived in 2007. Seeing as so many good games are still being developed for current platforms, I think this trend will remain.

Realistically Sony are not going to lauch at a mass market price, but you don't need the mass market to make your launch a success. The Mass Markets aren't normally the ones who pick up a system during their launch window (except the wii). I don't see any other route for Sony other then power+killer games, I doubt they'd create innovative technology strong enough to trump Kinect2 but they also can't have their system the same price as the 720 without the added inceptive that power will provide them. In regards to the Wii U, dare I say people complained about the $299-$349 price tag because its pecieved as a 360 minus the harddrive and a new control, as opposed to bleeding edge next gen tech.

I see 360's one year head start as the point where the console gained footing in the market. Sure, games came out in 2007 - but that didn't help PS3; it helped 360. When the PS3 didn't take off 360 did instead. 360 now have undermined playstation's position as the home of 3rd parties, which will be devestative next gen if PS4 launches yet again 1 year after x3ox... That's how I see it. And that's not considering that WiiU actually might get ports of x3ox games - and not gimped like they were on Wii. That would mean same game, slightly worse graphics at a much better price. How are PS4 gonna compete against all of this if it's released a year too late?

teigaga said:
DanneSandin said:
Rafux said:

People complain about the Wii U price because they think its a glorified xbox360. The wii was a glorified gamecube with a new control and lauched for $250, I think people expected the same for the Wii U.

I had hoped it would be 4x more powerful, but as of late ppl have come out and said that that probably isn't the case - so I guess I undertand that complaint...

DanneSandin said:
teigaga said:
DanneSandin said:
Rafux said:

I had hoped it would be 4x more powerful, but as of late ppl have come out and said that that probably isn't the case - so I guess I undertand that complaint...

I am only buying one if it is 5 times more powerful, because I like making purchasing desisions based on worthless and incorrigible numbers.

Anything less than that and Nintendo can FUCK RIGHT OFF.

WHERE IS MY KORORINPA 3

Gnac said:
DanneSandin said:
teigaga said:
DanneSandin said:
Rafux said:

I am only buying one if it is 5 times more powerful, because I like making purchasing desisions based on worthless and incorrigible numbers.

Anything less than that and Nintendo can FUCK RIGHT OFF.

I'd be satisfied if it was HD. Period. But if this thing's gonna sell well it needs to up the specs a bit. Why would the HD crowd care for this if it's only 50% than the console they already have?