By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Who's the most iconic video game character of all time?

Who's the most iconic video game character of all time?

Master Chief 72 80.90%

Marcus Phoenix 14 15.73%

Total:86
CGI-Quality said:
AndrewWK said:
selnor said:

I mean generic.

Max Payne, any GTA character, Kane and Lynch etc. Any game that just has a normal human person is hard to portray as an icon. Especially in a world where the real icons are eiither faceless ( Masterchief ) or catooned up. For example Link although a person dresses radically different than jeans and tshirt. Or suit. Or jacket. Link looks iconic.

Marcus Phonenix is a bit different. Because the character stands out. Muscle overload. Thick armour, etc. Its alot more memorable and iconic.

I never remember characters that are plain after finising the game unitl the neext title is announced unless the character looked radically different from the guy next door.

What about Kratos? He looks as unique as it gets. And he is the only guy who managed to destroy the whole world. That should mean something.

Some would argue that Kratos is more generic than Drake. Before the boom of the Uncharted series, he was probably Sony's most memorable character (behind once PlayStation-only heroes like Crash and Spyro, and still behind PlayStation exclusive character Cloud), but since Among Thieves, I'd say Kratos is eclipsed already.

I disagree. Crash, Spyro and the like would have all been good icons for Sony. Unfortunately they arent. Cloud kinda is, but FF jumping ship as pretty much made people consider it as yesterdays exclusive character.

Drake will never be iconic unless hes changed drastically from how he looks now.

Around the Network
Dallinor said:
That old butler guy from tomb raider II you could lock in the freezer.

Win!

CGI-Quality said:

I could walk down the street showing a picture of Master Chief and MANY people wouldn't recognize him. Must mean that he's only known because of Halo, right?

They would say "That's HALO!"

selnor said:

Yes they would recognise him at the time they were playing the games. But, ask the majority now who that is? I have finished it and I had to look where he was from that instantly says everything about  this character.

So you agree that he was insanely recognizable. Good, That's progress.

As for why he's not recognizable today, that's because

!.) He only starred in one game, 
2.) That game released eleven years ago, and
3.) The game he was featured on has had three different sequels all with different characters. 

That's why he's not an icon today, not because he was generic. Had he starred in Vice City, San Andreas, and GTAIV, he would still be an icon.
Same could be said for Master Cheif, Mario, etc. Had they only starred in one game, of course people would forget them after ten years.

CGI-Quality said:
selnor said:

i disagree. I think Mario looks widely different from the guy next door. Subtley yet vastly.

Difference between Drake and others like MC or Mario is you only think of Drake after you mention the game. With the others you often think of the character first, outside of the game ever being mentioned.

This isnt a personal feeling. Its actually how the human mind behaves. Looks unfortuantely are everything in society. And Drake just looks like some guy.

Well then we disagree. Bottom line, Drake's look of "the guy next door" has helped shape his status (again, regardless of yours or my personal opinions of what an "icon" is).

And I just don't see what's so special about Master Chief - never have.

Although essentially a super soldier in armour. You never see his face. This one simple decision created so much buzz around Masterchief seperate from the game. People would endlessly discuss about the Chief and still do. Sometimes not even mentioning the games. Ive never heard a Drake conversation outside of discussing the games hes in. Even in my PS3 circle of friends.

Uncharted is the icon. Drake isnt. With Halo and Masterchief both fit the bill. I guess also alot has to do with the world they are in to. Unchharted is essentially Tomb Raider or Indiana Jones. With stories just like them. The world isnt flesed out beyond the area your playing in at the time.

With Mario games or certainly Masterchief, there worlds stretch and exist far outside of the levels your playing in.

Around the Network

Marcus Fenix look is too exaggerated for its own good.
OTOH Master Chief is quite iconic (but quite far behind the most iconic ones) thanks to the huge success of Halo and despite a big hurdle, that they designed him as a faceless hero to ease player's identification. You can't have both things, actually, and in an FPS identification is more important than an iconic character, while in third person games, be them 2D, isometric 3D or perspective 3D, an iconic character is a lot more important.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

CGI-Quality said:
AndrewWK said:

What about Kratos? He looks as unique as it gets. And he is the only guy who managed to destroy the whole world. That should mean something.

Some would argue that Kratos is more generic than Drake. Before the boom of the Uncharted series, he was probably Sony's most memorable character (behind once PlayStation-only heroes like Crash and Spyro, and still behind PlayStation exclusive character Cloud), but since Among Thieves, I'd say Kratos is eclipsed already.

Generic?

Doen´t generic mean it is something typical, something that has been done over and over again? Well if that is the case then how is Kratos generic?

And an iconic character should be somebody who is bigger then the game he is in. Like Super Mario, Sub-Zero & Scorpion, Kirby etc. Most of the named characters have iconic games but are not iconic characters per se. For example you could make Uncharted without Nathan Drake. I know many people would be pissed off but it would be basically the same game just with a black guy instead for example. But the whole God of War franchise would be upside down if you throw Kratos out of God of War.

spurgeonryan said:
AndrewWK said:
Jay520 said:

You're telling me this guy isn't wasn't an icon back in the day?

I can guaranteed you that a relatively large amount of people would have recognized him. Even if they couldn't draw him

Nathan Drake from PS1 or 2? How is that possible?

I thought this was the guy from a GTA game.

Wasn´t he black?

Pierce Brosnan

It will always be mario.

Other iconic video game faces include Pikachu, Ryu, and Pac-Man. At least those are the faces that associate with the word video games.

I am the black sheep     "of course I'm crazy, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong."-Robert Anton Wilson