By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS Vita is the Gaming Gadget of the Year, why can't it sell?

What is stopping you from buying a Vita?

System price 52 18.98%

Memory card price 40 14.60%

Games aren't my cup of tea 54 19.71%

Not hacked like PSP 10 3.65%

I like smartphone games 5 1.82%

Already own one 64 23.36%

See results 49 17.88%

Total:274
thekitchensink said:
There should be an option for preferring the 3DS. I personally like the Vita, but I already have a 3DS and simply don't need two handhelds.

I think that would go under "games aren't my cup of tea" because your handheld fix is already being taken care of.

Around the Network
JoeTheBro said:
thekitchensink said:
There should be an option for preferring the 3DS. I personally like the Vita, but I already have a 3DS and simply don't need two handhelds.

I think that would go under "games aren't my cup of tea" because your handheld fix is already being taken care of.

Fair enough.

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."
Wh1pL4shL1ve_007 said:
small44 said:
People don`t want good games they want popular games

That seems to be the trend nowadays. 

I think its because games are becoming more expensive as the gen goes on. So people are getting selective of what they may want to buy. 

That makes no sense, what was the price of a game at the start of the Gen $60/£40? And now ......$60/£40 in fact it means its cheaper $60 in 2006 is now $71.64 in 2012 at 3% inflation rate. And thats just the Reccomended Racoon Price (RRP), more outlets for buying and more competition means Lower prices. 

PSP Lifetime more than PSV+3DS Lifetime.

1. Smartphones
2. 3DS got a huge headstart and a huge price cut
3. It's missing AAA games.

#1 can be solved by adding free games to PSN Store or PS Mobile
#2 can be fixed over time and with good marketing and promotions. Price cut will also help but needs to happen after #3.
#3 should be solved after this holiday.

krafty89 said:
Wh1pL4shL1ve_007 said:
small44 said:

I think its because games are becoming more expensive as the gen goes on. So people are getting selective of what they may want to buy. 

That makes no sense, what was the price of a game at the start of the Gen $60/£40? And now ......$60/£40 in fact it means its cheaper $60 in 2006 is now $71.64 in 2012 at 3% inflation rate. And thats just the Reccomended Racoon Price (RRP), more outlets for buying and more competition means Lower prices. 

Let me rephrase that, I mean as a new gen enters. 

Yay!!!

Around the Network
krafty89 said:
Wh1pL4shL1ve_007 said:
small44 said:

What are you talking about. PSP was last gen and all those games were free. Am I right or am I right? lol

hehe racoon price

Before the PS3 everyone was nice to me :(

Why isn't it selling?

Its not a mass market product. It a niche product that does its job very well.

I go back to my original statement/thread. It should have been a smartphone.

Keep ALL of its existing features, power, game choices, controls, etc. Just slightly different physical design and of course sold through cell carriers on contract etc. Could even pimp out a new model every other year to align with contract upgrades.

Would have done much better. Would have had a higher profit margin for Sony. Would have been able to be priced like cell phones (in the States at least) on contract with prices from $49 to $199.

Hell, I would have gotten one. Probably one for my oldest kid too.

Sony does not have the first party software to push a niche product like a dedicated gaming console. Only Nintendo has that capability. Smartphones and tablets now rule the entertainment portable market, not gaming consoles. Sony has the experience and capacity to immediately do well in that market and should have went for it.

Don't counter me with PSPGo (a digital only crappy low-end product) or the Xperia Play (a low-end phone with zero gaming support) as reason it wouldn't work. It would have to be the Vita in a slider fully Android phone scenario. i.e. a real high-end smartphone with high-end gaming capability.

The console should have been bundled with a storage card from the beginning. It might have helped to this point. Better yet, Sony should have put 4gb flash on it strictly for game saves and system/game updates. Then, storage cards would have been optional (and would have relieved some of the criticism Sony received).

Games are a hit and miss. Sure it has a good library, but new releases are stale. We've seen what a new JRPG does to it in Japan; Sony needs to keep a steady release of games that appeal to all gamers in different regions. Final Fantasy Type 0 should have been a launch title for it (hopefully it'll still come), and Final Fantasy X HD should be exclusive for it. Also, most importantly, it needs "Monster Hunter Freedom 3" and hope that Monster Hunter 4 goes multiplat.

I believe CoD:BOD and ACIII:L will make or break the Vita in the US. Perhaps a pricecut would still not be too late if the worst happens.

e=mc^2

Gaming on: PS4 Pro, Switch, SNES Mini, Wii U, PC (i5-7400, GTX 1060)

superchunk said:
Why isn't it selling?

Keep ALL of its existing features, power, game choices, controls, etc. Just slightly different physical design and of course sold through cell carriers on contract etc. Could even pimp out a new model every other year to align with contract upgrades.

Would have done much better. Would have had a higher profit margin for Sony. Would have been able to be priced like cell phones (in the States at least) on contract with prices from $49 to $199.

Sony does not have the first party software to push a niche product like a dedicated gaming console. Only Nintendo has that capability. Smartphones and tablets now rule the entertainment portable market, not gaming consoles. Sony has the experience and capacity to immediately do well in that market and should have went for it.

Don't counter me with PSPGo (a digital only crappy low-end product) or the Xperia Play (a low-end phone with zero gaming support) as reason it wouldn't work. It would have to be the Vita in a slider fully Android phone scenario. i.e. a real high-end smartphone with high-end gaming capability.

Im curious, if it was a phone, would it be getting spec jumps every year? 3 years from now, would early adopters be shunned?(Not be able to buy the latest games)

If it was a phone, I wouldn't have bought one.

The PSP was in a drastic decline for years, be what it was that caused it. The Vita isn't off to a great start. Perhaps the mass market just doesn't want a "Playstation" portable anymore.

Nintendo may have gotten passed the barriers due to much stronger name IP's. But maybe, just maybe, the market is transitioning to tablet and smartphone gaming as the new "portable gaming". And yes I'm talking about sub-$5 (or whatever the average price is) games.

e=mc^2

Gaming on: PS4 Pro, Switch, SNES Mini, Wii U, PC (i5-7400, GTX 1060)

Solid-Stark said:
superchunk said:
Why isn't it selling?

Im curious, if it was a phone, would it be getting spec jumps every year? 3 years from now, would early adopters be shunned?(Not be able to buy the latest games)

If it was a phone, I wouldn't have bought one.

The PSP was in a drastic decline for years, be what it was that caused it. The Vita isn't off to a great start. Perhaps the mass market just doesn't want a "Playstation" portable anymore.

Nintendo may have gotten passed the barriers due to much stronger name IP's. But maybe, just maybe, the market is transitioning to tablet and smartphone gaming as the new "portable gaming". And yes I'm talking about sub-$5 (or whatever the average price is) games.

I'm in the same boat. If the PSV was a phone, I would have completely passed over it as a gaming platform. Wouldn't have even considered buying one. Why? My two platform options for smartphones are either iOS or Android (sorry Windows Mobile). And no, I'm not paying for a second two year contract so I can play more games. 

So make the Playstation Vita an Android phone only with buttons and sticks? That's great for Playstation gamers who want to make their portable double as their phone, but no one else looking for a "serious" smartphone is going to pick up the one with the gaming buttons, d-pad and analog sticks unless they're equally "serious" about portable gaming. 

I certainly wouldn't pick up a two year service contract for a PS Vita Phone. 

I would have just been slightly ticked at not being able to play any PSV games that caught my interest on account of not wanting to enter a two year service contract just to do so, but I'd get over it.

The other thing to keep in mind in regards to the PS Vita Phone, is that it remains a viable option. The PSV would be the iPod Touch to the PSV compatible phone's iPhone. SCE wouldn't even have to market it as the "Playstation Vita Phone" since that would limit the target audience. They could just make a smartphone that is compatible with PSV games, using the same SDK with either controls built into the phone (resulting in an Xperia Play like device) or, and probably a better option; design a slick cradle device with a supplementary battery that houses all the physical controls, to be removed when it's simply not appropriate to bust out a phone with joysticks and face buttons on it during a meeting.