By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS Vita is the Gaming Gadget of the Year, why can't it sell?

What is stopping you from buying a Vita?

System price 52 18.98%

Memory card price 40 14.60%

Games aren't my cup of tea 54 19.71%

Not hacked like PSP 10 3.65%

I like smartphone games 5 1.82%

Already own one 64 23.36%

See results 49 17.88%

Total:274

I don't know why people insist to push this thing just because it is powerful and has the name sony in it. Let's start off with the price. No only is it 250$ compared to the 170$ 3DS but it also requires expensive memory cards that will most likely price this thing near the 300-350$ range. On top of that the games are all playable on other consoles already but the better experiences go to the console versions. Gravity Daze is being hyped up by the few people who own it but in the end its not a system seller or even an extraordinary game. It's just good, nothing more, nothing less. That one game isn't going to do a thing. How about looking at this objectively instead of raging with your fan senses. This thing does not have a mass appeal and with the way the PSP sold at the end and as people lost faith in it, I'm sure people has lost faith in sony as a handheld competitor. That is the cold hard truth.

Around the Network

The increased factioning of gamer loyalty is cutting into sales. The PS3 user base is not enough to sustain a handheld console during its initial year. There is a lack of consumer understanding of the product's capabilities. It is being overshadowed by massive 3DS marketing found in numerous delivery forms. An increasing consumer skepticism and negative publicity outreach as a result of the mainstream use of the internet. The popularization of phones as being seen as the multitool device to get. A higher price point than its direct competition and not seen as an alternative option when shopping for a smartphone or tablet as they are not sold side by side to highlight its functionality and price comparison.

With that said the Vita is the best handheld gaming console for a gamer to get. It has more capabilities be it from having an app store, full controls, AR, Cross functionality with PS3 and PS4 in the future, excellent graphical and technical capabilities, online multiplayer, great internet browser, full digital storefront, and a plethora of 1st party titles right now and the way thanks to Sony's large stable of studios.

Before the PS3 everyone was nice to me :(

It all comes down to price and games. If the Vita had some more appealing games the system wouldn't have this much trouble. I'd always said the 3DS wouldn't had trouble when it was at $250 if it launched with games like Mario 3D land and Mario Kart 7. But of course a price cut for the Vita will help immensely. 

As long as their aren't any big games coming for the Vita, it won't sell. AC : Liberation might do a decent job in pushing the sales of the system but nothing big enough to make third parties reconsider making games for the handheld, and even less, using the cross-play functionality to compete with the Wii U.

Nintendo and PC gamer

i love mine, don't know what your problem is...

Sales are everything. Everything else is secondary and comes naturally having great sales.

Whatever it takes, it must pick up sales soon. Those sub-failed systems numbers can't continue or else the whole support project crumbles

Around the Network

This again? I'm going to deviate from my normal answer and say this: The Vita is so awesome and perfect in every way that most people feel like they aren't worthy of owning something forged by the hands of angels.

Also, it's haunted.

People don`t want good games they want popular games

PS4 - over 100 millions let's say 120m
Xbox One - 70m
Wii U - 25m

Vita - 15m if it will not get Final Fantasy Kingdoms Heart and Monster Hunter 20m otherwise
3DS - 80m

- Too expensive

- Not enough games I want (Little King's Story, Uncharted, and LBP are not enough for the investment)

- Kind of done with handheld gaming now that I have a Nexus. I'm not even getting a 3DS and I'm a huge Nintendo fan

Cuz people want games, not promisses.

/thread.

Amazing hardware, good software... It's just that there aren't any hardware sellers. The only game I can think of that pushed a substantial amount of hardware is Uncharted.

The price is also a problem, not to say that the value for money isn't good (it's great) or that the system is particularly expensive (it isn't), it's just compared to the very cheap 3DS it seems expensive.