By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Kevin Butler Mario Kart Commercial leads to Sony Suing him

Nsanity said:
deskpro2k3 said:

they have the right to sue. think about the fans as well

To answer your vague question about my second sentence... it was a hypothetical suggestion, so take a min think about it.

As I stated before this is not an isolated case. Coca Cola terminated Ronaldinho sponsorship contract (a Brazilian soccer star) after he showed up at a press conference drinking a can of Pepsi. it was a $750,000 sponsorship deal, and to see him with a can of pepsi in the press conference was embarrassing.  This is the same concept.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
Around the Network
kowenicki said:
deskpro2k3 said:
Nsanity said:
deskpro2k3 said:

To answer your vague question about my second sentence... it was a hypothetical suggestion, so take a min think about it.

As I stated before this is not an isolated case. Coca Cola terminated Ronaldinho sponsorship contract (a Brazilian soccer star) after he showed up at a press conference drinking a can of Pepsi. This is the same concept.

Very different. He was still being paid, probably millions, to promote Coke. Also Coke didn't sue him, they just stopped paying him by terminating his sponsorship. That's reasonable considering. What Sony appears to be doing is very far from reasonable. 

We don't know the contract they have with him. They wont sue without a good reason.

kowenicki said:
deskpro2k3 said:
kowenicki said:
deskpro2k3 said:
Nsanity said:
deskpro2k3 said:

As I stated before this is not an isolated case. Coca Cola terminated Ronaldinho sponsorship contract (a Brazilian soccer star) after he showed up at a press conference drinking a can of Pepsi. This is the same concept.

Very different. He was still being paid, probably millions, to promote Coke. Also Coke didn't sue him, they just stopped paying him by terminating his sponsorship. That's reasonable considering. What Sony appears to be doing is very far from reasonable. 

We don't know the contract they have with him. They wont sue without a good reason.

It will be a normal restrictive covenant.

But let's be honest here, the contract is irrelevant, what good is this doing for anyone? Sony are shooting themselves in the foot here, the ad went largely unnoticed.  Not now. 

oh well, lets see what happens.

deskpro2k3 said:
kowenicki said:
deskpro2k3 said:
Nsanity said:
deskpro2k3 said:

I'm guessing you aren't familiar with the history of Sony Lawsuits.

They've sued hobbiests for teaching their robot dogs to dance.

Which vastly increased their robot dogs sales.

Also, they're contract is related.  They're sueing for copyright infringement... likely on Kevin Butler.   In otherwords, they're saying his acting goofy = kevin butler.

Imagine if George Clooney couldn't act like a handsome ladies man after his first movie.

Kasz216 said:
deskpro2k3 said:
kowenicki said:
deskpro2k3 said:
Nsanity said:
deskpro2k3 said:

I'm guessing you aren't familiar with the history of Sony Lawsuits.

They've sued hobbiests for teaching their robot dogs to dance.

Which vastly increased their robot dogs sales.

Also, they're contract is related.  They're sueing for copyright infringement... likely on Kevin Butler.   In otherwords, they're saying his acting goofy = kevin butler.

Imagine if George Clooney couldn't act like a handsome ladies man after his first movie.

How come everyone ignored the point I made about Robert Downey JR wearing an Ironman like costume to promote something DC related without talking to Marvel first?

Clooney's face is his own, Ironman's suit, is Marvel's there's a difference here.

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?

Around the Network

This is just surreal. It would be like the Chicago White Sox suing John Cusack if he decided to play Chicago Cubs 3rd baseman Ron Santo in a movie because he played Buck Weaver in Eight Men Out.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

amp316 said:
This is just surreal. It would be like the Chicago White Sox suing John Cusack if he decided to play Chicago Cubs 3rd baseman Ron Santo in a movie because he played Buck Weaver in Eight Men Out.

No....not even close...

Buck Weaver and Ron Santo are both real people thus can't be claimed as "IPs"
KB IS an IP
The White Sox can't sue for infringment because they didn't make the film, they could sue if the film represented them in a way they didn't like.

Additional point to consider:

If Bridgestone did nothing wrong, why did they re-release the advert without JL inside it? Unless I'm mistaken, there was no court order to do so, no? One could argue that's an admission of guilt of some kind. no?

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

You should probably get the story right before typing up."sony is suing keven butler."

WindyCityHeat said:
You should probably get the story right before typing up."sony is suing keven butler."

How about we call him by his real name instead?

Really Dick move.

And unless there's a very specific item in his contract, which would be very strange, imo, they'll lose, because there's no mention of Kevin Butler at all and this is not a Wii commercial. It's not like the guy can remove his face to work again. If Sony thinks that's Kevin Butler, then it only proves they copied the character:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVBD8A8pAtU