By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Resident Evil Reboot. YES or NO?

Tagged games:

Reboot?

YES 104 73.76%

NO 37 26.24%

Total:141

It doesn't need a reboot, it needs developers to start taking it serious again.

Around the Network

You know what? Fuck the fans. RE4 ane RE5 were great! I've only had enough time to play to the title screen in RE6, though. It may suck.

"Well, d21lewis. You're not a true fan.", you say. "True fans want the game to go back to its roots." Well, maybe I'm not. I did play (and still own):

-RE1 (Purchased in 1997 for PS1--my second PS1 purchase following Tomb Raider)
-RE2 (PS1 1998 purchased as soon as I saw it had released)
-RE3 (1999)
-RE Code Veronica (2000 Purchased early in my Dreamcast's life)
-RE (Gamecube 2002--one of my favorite games of all time)
-RE 0 (Gamecube 2002)
-RE4 (Gamecube 2005)
-RE4 Wii Edition (Wii 2007)
-RE5 (Xbox 360 2009)
-RE5 Gold (Xbox 360 2011)
-RE4 HD (2011)
-RE R (3DS 2012)
-RE6 (360 2012)

I can put my hands on every game I listed, right this second. I enjoyed them all when they released. The thing about those early games: only the first game was scary. Another thing about those early games: They were good in their day but these days, they just wouldn't cut it. We've gotten away from that style. How many games do you buy these days that feature a slower pace and puzzles that stop your progress dead in its tracks? I tried to play RE:1 on the Gamecube a few months back and I was scared but bored out of my mind. I got RE5 Gold and I loved the DLC but I replayed the fast paced "Desperate Escape" DLC several times while the old school throwback "Lost in Nightmares" content was only played through a couple of times.

These days, a game where there is a lack of foes and action and a focus on puzzles just won't cut it. Call it the "Call of Duty" effect or maybe it's just a sign of the time. Regardless, that old style is dead. It ain't coming back. RE: R on the 3DS is arguably the series finest hour, meshing the old with the new and having legit scary moments but it was more RE5 than RE1. People are letting nostalgia blind them. I don't think the RE series should be the convoluted anime story that it is now but it shouldn't be the snore inducing, shitty camera angled, cheesy dialog fest that it was then, either.

Truth be told, Resident Evil NEVER got it 100% right. It succeeded for then and now but for totally different reasons. Personally, (though I haven't given RE6 a chance, yet. Low on time.) I prefer the newer games. At least those games can remain fun after multiple playthroughs.

I was a huge RE fan up until a few weeks ago when I saw RE: Retribution. That movie was so unbelievably bad and ridiculous that it completely soured me on the entire franchise. The only way they'll get me to buy another game at this point is if they do a reboot and completely ditch Umbrella.

Yes, reboot... And I would enjoy them to start in the mansion again. Maybe with Alpha team and follow how that whole team went down... then lead into Jill, Barry, and Chris. Maybe play as Barry... Why? Because I forgot everything from the first 3 and with ps1 technology the storyline wasnt portrayed as well as it could be now. I'm not saying more cutscenes. Absolutley not. Just better story involvement and development within the game and leading to the next games.

Legend11 said:
I was a huge RE fan up until a few weeks ago when I saw RE: Retribution. That movie was so unbelievably bad and ridiculous that it completely soured me on the entire franchise. The only way they'll get me to buy another game at this point is if they do a reboot and completely ditch Umbrella.

I never saw a Resident Evil film and I swear I never will.  The film franchise has always looked like something that would cause serious health issues.

Around the Network
d21lewis said:
Legend11 said:

I never saw a Resident Evil film and I swear I never will.  The film franchise has always looked like something that would cause serious health issues.

Well the first one was not bad.

did you get the idea for this poll on the gamepro site? btw the results there are 70% yes, 13% no and rest "i don't care" with 1621 votes right now

i voted yes, i would like to see a reboot. if it doesn't work they can still go back to this.

A reboot would be bad, it wouldn't make any difference. Would also be bad for the story as it is, if they reboot and thus start everything over, we wouldn't know any sort of conclusion. I'd like to know some sort of 'end' before we return back to the beginning.

d21lewis said:
(..)

These days, a game where there is a lack of foes and action and a focus on puzzles just won't cut it. Call it the "Call of Duty" effect or maybe it's just a sign of the time. Regardless, that old style is dead. It ain't coming back. RE: R on the 3DS is arguably the series finest hour, meshing the old with the new and having legit scary moments but it was more RE5 than RE1. People are letting nostalgia blind them. I don't think the RE series should be the convoluted anime story that it is now but it shouldn't be the snore inducing, shitty camera angled, cheesy dialog fest that it was then, either.

(..)

Revelations finally got Resident Evil on my radar. I've known about the series since the very beginning, but never bought a game. When the Revelations DEMO on 3DS came, I was blown away by it's awesomeness. Game of the Year 2012, hands down. Recently got RE4 on Wii because Revelations was awesome and people say RE4 is one of the best ones, but haven't had a chance to play it. Been looking for a good RE2, preferably on N64 as people often say that's the best version. Sadly it's hard to find, and when one pops up it's usually in bad shape.

Seen all the films though except the recent one, if I recall correctly the first one even in the movie theater. The first film is actually not bad, pretty good at some point. The ones after that gradually become worse, but all of them are at least watchable.

crissindahouse said:

did you get the idea for this poll on the gamepro site? btw the results there are 70% yes, 13% no and rest "i don't care" with 1621 votes right now

i voted yes, i would like to see a reboot. if it doesn't work they can still go back to this.

Yes I did.

S.Peelman said:

A reboot would be bad, it wouldn't make any difference. Would also be bad for the story as it is, if they reboot and thus start everything over, we wouldn't know any sort of conclusion. I'd like to know some sort of 'end' before we return back to the beginning.

Is there ever going to be a conclusion? How do you know capsom has anything in mind. They will leave every game open ended so if they want to they can revisit the series. I'd say a reboot would be better for the story because no one has a clue what is going on.