By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Mitt Romney. 27 lies in 38 minutes.

spaceguy said:
Kasz216 said:
spaceguy said:
Kasz216 said:
Max King of the Wild said:
That would make a lot of sense Kaz. I know my Target store (Ultra low volume) hires about 20 or so seasonal workers in september till jan

Yeah turns out that's the case.   The Seasonally adjusted unemployment rate is actually still 8.1%. 

Still wouldn't be surprised to see the job numbers move up though.

Afterall, goverment hiring was on an increase too last month for the first time in a long time.

either way we are in a recovery. If republicans would have voted for the jobs bill we would be well under that by now. People seem to forget the 2 years of obstruction. Could obama done more? yes. Regardless of that, Obama will win off of these numbers and lets hope he gets the house back as well. then we can start talking about third party. LOL

Yeah I wouldn't say it matters, lack of seasonal adjusting hurts Obama just as much as it helps him (theoretically).  Just worth pointing out since it's the kind of thing that can cofuse people.

As for the jobs bill helping the economy... not really going to do anything... Romney's plans are unlikely to help either.

The problem is, people are trying to apply giant macroeconomic forumla's onto a problem that's not normal.  At the moment we're at a stiuation where buisnesses won't hire until there is an increase in real demand... and there won't be an increase in real demand until buisnesses start hiring. 

The Jobs bill and any other kind of stimulus program... companies will just collect there profits and hold off hiring anyone knowing it'd be more trouble then it's worth because we can't run deficits forever.

The scary part is, there is a LOT indication there is a of hidden inflation out there.  Which would mean we were in a case of Stagflation... and believe me, you espeically wouldn't like the cure to Stagflation.

Infrastructure would put demand back out there. That was a big part of the jops bill. Millionairs would only have to pay I think it was 1/7th of 1% more on tax's on there second million made. Is that enough? no but it would have helped. We are way behind in Infrastructure and those jobs pay good because there union, which means people can pay bills and have disposable money.

Infrastructure wouldn't really help.  Infrastructure jobs would be extremely temporary... and infrastructure building jobs are temporary.  The lack of demand really isn't due to a lack of pay.  It's just due to a mindset change in people to be more fiscally conservatvie and responsible in general.  Nobody wants to build their wealth on debt anymore.

Around the Network
spaceguy said:
Kasz216 said:
spaceguy said:
BenVTrigger said:
Nah its not and Im not sayin Mitt is the best choice either

But I dont see how anyone defends Obama anymore. The mans a failed president, the worst in my lifetime, and is leading the slowest recovery in US history.

Im not even a big Romney supporter at all but Obama is beyond awful

actually the depression took over ten years to recover from and it wasn't until 2nd world war that we did. Also you would rather go back to someone who's policies mimick bush's. Those are the same policies that got us in this mess in the first place. Or should I say the The full controll of government by bush and a republican congress.

So you deny that the main reason for the Global Financial Crisis was the repeal of Glass Steagal?

Nope I agree that was a big part but when bush came in he decided to complete deregulate wall st and the banks. . I'm not a fan of the democrates moving to the right. I will be the first to say Clintons nafta and Glass steagal removal was a disaster.

Can you point to actual bank deregulation measures Bush passed in regard to banks that you think hurt?

Kasz216 said:
spaceguy said:
Kasz216 said:
spaceguy said:
BenVTrigger said:

But I dont see how anyone defends Obama anymore. The mans a failed president, the worst in my lifetime, and is leading the slowest recovery in US history.

actually the depression took over ten years to recover from and it wasn't until 2nd world war that we did. Also you would rather go back to someone who's policies mimick bush's. Those are the same policies that got us in this mess in the first place. Or should I say the The full controll of government by bush and a republican congress.

So you deny that the main reason for the Global Financial Crisis was the repeal of Glass Steagal?

Nope I agree that was a big part but when bush came in he decided to complete deregulate wall st and the banks. . I'm not a fan of the democrates moving to the right. I will be the first to say Clintons nafta and Glass steagal removal was a disaster.

Can you point to actual bank deregulation measures Bush passed in regard to banks that you think hurt?

He used a power that presidents have and stopped enforcing regulation. Presidents do have that power. Basically he let anything go.

spaceguy said:

He used a power that presidents have and stopped enforcing regulation. Presidents do have that power. Basically he let anything go.

Do you have any evidence for this, or just a crazy conspiracy theory?

Oh wait, here is the Bush administration talking about regulation in 2003

HappySqurriel said:
spaceguy said:

Do you have any evidence for this, or just a crazy conspiracy theory?

Oh wait, here is the Bush administration talking about regulation in 2003

exempting investment banks from capital requirements and intervening to over-rule state level anti-predatory lending laws by claiming federal jurisdiction (which just happened to be fine with the quality of Alt-A and subprime loans).

His Administration's passive contribution was allowing the whole danged overheated shadow banking system to continue down its perilous course, and this I think was due to his political belief system (he saw what he wanted to see because it conformed to his ideology to the point that his Administration and he personally called it "The Ownership Society").

Around the Network
spaceguy said:
Kasz216 said:
spaceguy said:
Kasz216 said:
spaceguy said:
BenVTrigger said:

again, can you offer any proof of this.

It's not a claim I can find any actual suggestion of...

As far as I can tell derivitives were deregulated under Clinton in the Commodities Futures Modernization act of 2000.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commodity_Futures_Modernization_Act_of_2000

A little talked about bill that deregulated credit Default swaps and made it way easiesr for them to get rubber stamped good grades and relaxed capital requirements on banks.

I think what your seeing as "Bush not enforcing credit default swap regulations" is actually in fact the CFMA coming into full effect.

By the way i've got no idea wherer it was republicans or democrats who supported the CFMA or both.  I assume there had to be at least  some democrats due to the republicans getting decimated in the midterm elections.

Flanneryaug said:
BenVTrigger said:

The worst in your lifetime? Are you less than 4 years old? lol

Saying Obama is a failed president is just not accurate. In 4 years, with massive republican obstruction, he still got all of this done:

• Stopped the economy from going into a depression
  • Passed Wall St reform
  • Saved the auto industry
  • Created 5 million jobs
  • Ended the war in Iraq(and ending the war in Afghanistan, though I think it should end now)
  • Got Bin Laden
  • Repealed DADT
  • Passed healthcare reform
  • Unemployment rate down to 7.8%
If you want to support Mitt Romney, thats fine. I don't agree with everything Obama supports or has done either.

Am I correct in saying that (like with the banks) many republicans opposed the auto industry bailout or criticised it after it happened? If nothing had been done the knock-on effect (espcially in the short-term) would have been horrific. Thousands (hundred of thousands to millions? not too sure how many exactly the american big 3 employs). The chain reaction on other industry and the rest of the economy as a whole as all of those workers became jobless would have pretty much sent the US into a depression.

kowenicki said:
Can anyone dig out Obama pre election records and tell me how many lies and how much he over promised and under delivered please.

The sooner people realise that pretty much all modern day politicians are selfish egomaniacs the better.

They're all the same.

They all may be shitty but are not the same. Dems will not ruin SS, Medicare, Etc.. there is a difference. I understand your point but every president can't do what he wants usually because congress makes the decisions more then he does. they  have all the power. So if the president proposes something, If the congress don't pass it. There goes his promise. Power is split up in our government for a reason

spaceguy said:
Can you really win if everything you say is a lie? No I really don't think you can.

You are the best user on the site. ^_^

Ask stefl1504 for a sig, even if you don't need one.

I want to know how are people going to feel on the republican side when Obama is reelected. He's got a 3:1 or 4:1 chance of winning the election and there are only about 5% of 'unsure' voters out there able to switch candidates.