By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Are you Pro-life or Pro-choice?

Pro-life. Every human being is responsible for their acts. Having sex without protection can be somebody's choice, but they need to face the possible consequences.

I would only like to point out that rape victims are exception from the above statements.

Around the Network

What a touchy and controversial topic. :)

Personally, I am Pro-Choice. There are always cases that abortion should be an option that most pro-lifers would agree with like rape, incest, mother/child could die, child has a serious defect that won't allow it to live once born, etc.

And banning abortion will not stop people from having abortions in the first place, it will just move back to where it was prior to doctors being able to perform abortions. That would be the alley's, the homes, etc where there is a high probability that the woman could become sterile, or die from a self administered abortion. Just banning it doesn't mean that it won't happen and if someone does not want to have a baby bad enough, they will go out and get them. They should have the opportunity to go and choose to have a doctor safely perform an abortion. But they shouldn't use that as a regular form of birth control.

I just don't see what right I have to tell someone that they cannot ever get an abortion for any reason whatsoever. Personally, I would never encourage a woman that i got pregnant to have one, but would respect her choice to do that.

Get your Portable ID!

My pokemon brings all the nerds to the yard. And they're like, "You wanna trade cards?" Damn right, I wanna trade cards. I'll trade this, but not my charizard.

^^^ Of course banning abortion wouldn't totally eliminate it But it would drop by a big Percentage.

elprincipe said:
Final-Fan said:
Kasz216 said:

How can you justify abortions when the mother's life is in danger? And people under the age of consent?

How is killing someone else for those reasons any more right then killing people for other reasons? If you legally define a fetus as a person, you can't at all have abortions. For ANY reason. Including situations where there is literally no chance of either patient surviving.

It would go against the Hippocratic Oath. No doctor would perform a "legal" abortion.

Also, anyone who voted for such a law would be a hypocrite of the highest order. Giving fetuses conditional humanity is worse then none at all. It's something I can't understand in people who see fetuses as kids. It's the real inhumanity in this debate.

Well they wouldn't be hypocrites if they believed in speeding up people's deaths to save people on trasnplant lists and the like. But like I said. Inhuman.

(slight spelling corrections and the like have been performed by me on the above)

Epic win. Pro-lifers who make exceptions for rape and so on are hypocrites.

Every pro-lifer needs to be able to fully address this post.

As for me, pro-choice. Up to some point more than halfway through the pregnancy the life is not a person but rather a potential person, and in many cases the likely outcome of that potential is not good or even ruinous to the person, the mother/family, or both.

1. I've already addressed the points above. But they are important questions that people should think about. Why do some support allowing abortion in cases of rape and incest, as if that makes a child less a child? I don't see the logic in it.

2. How do you decide that a fetus is human randomly at the halfway point in a pregnancy? That is a ridiculous statement. Not only have children been born before that point and survived, but what makes a fetus non-human one day and human the next? How do you even know what is halfway through a pregnancy since they aren't the same length?

This kind of thinking is what most mystifies me about those who are pro-abortion (or at least pro-keeping-abortion-legal). It can lead easily to the conclusion that you are merely rationalizing the issue for convenience's sake, since it is completely illogical. Also, please explain to me how a fetus with its own genetic code, growing on its own, with its own body, beating heart and brain wave activity is not human but merely a "potential" person.

Simple.  They don't do it randomly.  They stopped using a random number generator for each individual fetus in the 1980s.

Rath said:
segajon said:
Hell there is a law that you can't kill unborn american bald eagles here in the U.S. But nothing for humans wow.

Yes but thats for conservation reasons. Bald Eagles are rare, Humans are not.

"1. I've already addressed the points above. But they are important questions that people should think about. Why do some support allowing abortion in cases of rape and incest, as if that makes a child less a child? I don't see the logic in it."

Agreed, you should be for or against not in between.

"2. How do you decide that a fetus is human randomly at the halfway point in a pregnancy? That is a ridiculous statement. Not only have children been born before that point and survived, but what makes a fetus non-human one day and human the next? How do you even know what is halfway through a pregnancy since they aren't the same length?"

I believe that the currently agreed point at least where I live is 2 weeks before brain activity usually begins. The point at which a fetus becomes human is, in my view, the point where it begins to think. Thus abortions after this point are to me infanticide. Setting the limit at a couple of weeks before this usually occurs eliminates the risk that the fetus being aborted will have any brain activity.

"This kind of thinking is what most mystifies me about those who are pro-abortion (or at least pro-keeping-abortion-legal). It can lead easily to the conclusion that you are merely rationalizing the issue for convenience's sake, since it is completely illogical. Also, please explain to me how a fetus with its own genetic code, growing on its own, with its own body, beating heart and brain wave activity is not human but merely a "potential" person."

I could go on a tirade about how it appears that all anti-abortion people are doing is basing their views upon a religion and trying to force it upon others however that would be as pointless as your above rant.
The second part however is more reasonable and the reason is that until it starts to show signs of brain wave activity I do not believe that it should have human rights as to be considered a human being it needs to be sentient. Having its own genetic code does not make it alive, a dead body has its own genetic code.

It may appear all people with an anti-abortion viewpoint hold that viewpoint for religious reasons, but it's simply not true.  I should know; my viewpoint has nothing to do with religious views.

As for a dead body having its own genetic code, yes of course that's true, but remember that when we are talking about a human fetus we are talking about a living, growing person with his or her own genetic code in addition to the other things I mentioned.  I only mentioned genetic code because some people seem to have the curious belief that the child is part of the mother since he or she is inside the mother. 

In Memoriam RVW Jr.

SSBB Friend Code = 5455-9050-8670 (PM me if you add so I can add you!) 

Tetris Party Friend Code = 116129046416 (ditto)

Around the Network

Thank You elprincipe

I know that banning it wouldn't stop it and I know some women would do it anyways... They do what they want but I still think it's horrible and should be avoided. What I mean is that I'm pro-life for myself and I wish there could be less cases of women being pregnant and aborting.

I mean it would be best for them to not being pregnant at all... I don't understand how it still happens today with all the stuff available. And just for some personal examples, in the case of my friend, no protection and my father's gf too and my friend's friend... All the same reason. Why?

Also, towards some people here, is that really wrong to act on morals and have motherly feelings? I'm not saying I want to impose this on someone else, because I know women who don't think the same at all, but abortion is something I wouldn't do because of how I feel about it.

I wouldn't be able to do this it would make me feel horrible for the rest of my life. I wouldn't forgive myself ever for this. Anyways that's just what I think, for myself.

Metallicube said:

*rolls eyes, yes I'm implying that we just make robberies legal as well.. Come on, that is a different arguement entirely and you know it.. Abortion is not a "crime" no matter how you want to spin it.. it is a legal and legit procedure that is offered for situations that call for it. Like some people mentioned here, pro-lifers get tied up in their "moral" values and let it interfere with logic.

Making abortion illegal would just make matters worse because there would be no legal, well trained doctors performing the procedures and women would resort to unpleasent and far more dangerous methods by underground organizations that probably wouldn't be nearly as well trained to keep the procedure clean and safe. Would you really want this to happen? Because the way I see it, making abortions illegal would simply hurt the cause of you pro-lifers. We would be doing far more harm than good by making abortions illegal nationwide. And even the women that would shy away from underground methods would simply travel to another country to get it done. No matter how hard the pro lifers try, abortion is never going to go away, so we need to keep it legal, and therefore safe, clean, and highly regulated.

Like I said, I am not "pro abortion." I don't see abortion as a good thing by any means, only as something that may be a necessity. The important thing is that the woman has the choice of whether or not to do the moral thing, and I trust most women would, (and if they wouldn't, I'm sure they have a damn good reason). I'm not for killing babies and I'm sure nobody who's pro choice is.. I think that abortion should be used ONLY as a last resort, (mainly rape, or if the life of the child/ mother is threatened). The morallity of this issue should be looked at by the individual scenarios, not abortion as a whole. Pro-lifers see this as a black and white issue when it's not the case. The Government should never have the right to gain the power to have the say over what happens with a woman's body. End of story. For me, this is more of an anti-government intervention issue more than abortion issue.

I agree abortion is not a crime under the law at this point in time.  Of course that's a fact.  It certainly doesn't make it right.  But the argument is the same.  You are saying we shouldn't outlaw something because people still do it.  Well, people still rape women and commit armed robbery despite them being illegal, yet I don't hear anyone arguing we legalize those things...so why is that a logical thing to say with regard to abortion?  And it's not really a "legit" procedure in terms of health since the American Medical Association says it's, and I quote, "never medically necessary."

You also have the strange opinion that making abortion illegal wouldn't lower the amount of abortions taking place.  That is a just plain crazy position.  Go check how many abortions were performed in states where abortion was illegal prior to January 22, 1973 compared to today and tell me the numbers wouldn't decrease from 1.2 million babies killed in a single year.  Of course they would decrease.  Would some do it illegally?  Absolutely.  Would some travel to Canada or Europe and have abortions performed?  Of course.  Does that mean we should allow babies to be killed since, after all, they might be killed somewhere else?  Of course not.

Your last paragraph is quite puzzling.  You seem to accept that abortion is killing babies, yet you say that the government shouldn't have a say over what happens with a woman's body.  These two ideas are incompatible.  If you accept that the fetus is a human baby, it isn't part of another human being, and therefore the government has every right (and responsibility) to protect the life of one human from being killed by another.  Basically, if abortion = murder, then it logically follows that the government should make it illegal as it has for all other murders.

In Memoriam RVW Jr.

SSBB Friend Code = 5455-9050-8670 (PM me if you add so I can add you!) 

Tetris Party Friend Code = 116129046416 (ditto)

elprincipe said:

It may appear all people with an anti-abortion viewpoint hold that viewpoint for religious reasons, but it's simply not true. I should know; my viewpoint has nothing to do with religious views.

As for a dead body having its own genetic code, yes of course that's true, but remember that when we are talking about a human fetus we are talking about a living, growing person with his or her own genetic code in addition to the other things I mentioned. I only mentioned genetic code because some people seem to have the curious belief that the child is part of the mother since he or she is inside the mother.

Then you can not assume that I am merely rationalizing for conveniences sake.

And we are not talking about a living growing person in the view of many. Having a beating heart, unique genetic code and growth do not qualify automatically to be a person rather than a mere being. Defining personhood is impossible as there will always be disagreement on where it begins.

Another point of view would be where life becomes viable that life is then an independent being and as such a person.

"Also, towards some people here, is that really wrong to act on morals and have motherly feelings? I'm not saying I want to impose this on someone else, because I know women who don't think the same at all, but abortion is something I wouldn't do because of how I feel about it."

That is one post which I agree with more than anything else in the topic, its a womans choice in my opinion and I wish for it to stay that way. 

ikilledkenny said:
Pro-choice: Does anybody have a right to tell someone else what to do with their body? Nothing is alive until it draws its first breath. A fetus has not breathed in air, so it does not count as a life.

The first question you asked. How does the foetus answer that.

Small microscopic organisms don't breath. Are they not alive?