By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Rare working on multiple Xbox 720 games

I'm sorry, but this isn't Rare.  It's Rare IP, but the talent is mostly gone.  If not talent, the personality, the flare, the life and soul. 

But, I am happy to see that Rare IP, if that, will be making comebacks.  I truly hope they can breathe life into these old franchise I grew up with. 

Who knows, maybe we'll see a new life and soul to this 'New Rare'.  I'm excited.

Around the Network

I don't really know why op posted a old news,it's from 2012 May

This is great "news". Making new IP's is better than risk shitting on their old IP's, in my opinion. Given all the great developers they have hired, I wouldn't be surprised if these new IP's all have great success.

Let's see where this goes.

DirtyP2002 said:
Looking at the guys responding - it just proves me right. Oh the irony.
Have you guys played Kameo, Nuts n Bolt or, Kinect Sports? Probably not.

I liked Rare games back then, but I like their games today as well.

This thread is good news. PERIOD. Accept it and leave the thread if you have nothing to add.

It is just awesome how STAGE managed to derail another thread, Turkish comes in to spam and the mods on VGC are like: "Yeah, another day on VGC. Looking good."

Waiting fpr pezus though. He is late today.

Sure Kinect Sports was fun, in the same kind of way like Wii Play - but almost every single person who knows a little something about games would say that Rare used to be better (well, every one who were around in 16-bit and 64-bit era). And isn't it quite obvios that they NEED to get new talent in? They've lost so many of the people that made Rare great.

Hopefully they get their act together and shows us just how great they can be - like they used to be! We are all agreeing that this is good news. But why is it good news? Because they haven't done anything remotely close to how good they used to be in quite awhile. New talent is great for Rare because they need it, and it shows in their games. So we're not bashing. We're agreeing!

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Well I see it happening. Since Banjo/Viva Pinata 2 they only released a couple Kinect Sports games.

4 years to only make 2 casual titles???? Obviously they got something else up their sleeves.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Around the Network
D-Joe said:
I don't really know why op posted a old news,it's from 2012 May

Simply because nobody has talked about this on this website before.  As you can see most people didn't know this was going on.  

I'm not really sure why everybody hates Rare now. Do they make as good as games as what they did with the N64? No, but they still make great games and have made plenty of solid games since being with Microsoft. In fact I'll go so far as saying they have yet to make a bad game. While they weren't stellar they are still good games.

I wish them the best.

Do Banjo Threeie to shake the gaming world! Them try new things.

A Banjo game done right would get so many great scores, critics are dying for it, you can feel the tension in the air.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
selnor said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
selnor said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
selnor said:
Great news. I firmly believe Micrrosoft is aiming for a broad high quality lineup next gen with new IP's.

Really exciting times as am Xbox fan.

e3 2013 is gonna be Microsofts best ever.

lol Microsoft already nailed a hat trick for most disappointing E3's done consecutively. They better not screw this up because the core gamers watch E3 and we know better. The casuals only respond to their marketing so they take things as they come without expectation. This is why Microsoft hasnt cared to impress us at E3.

Thats respective anyway you look at it.

The fact Halo 4 was shown this year won it for me. I could only play Halo 4 this year and it would be the best year in gaming. ( As long as its not somehow trash )

But next year could be amazing with a new console, some launch games shown and possible new IP's from variious new Microsoft studios formed over the lasst 2 yeears. Now Rare working new IP's in the FPS aand action/adventure genres.

Really good time for Xbox gamers going into next generation.

Then you dont expect much from them except Halo. Thats all that it means and we dont know if the 720 or the PS4 are coming next year. Microsoft really needs to launch their next gen console though because their development capacity is horrid, save for Halo and Forza now (which is all thats left of first party). Gears is paid for and in the bag...which isnt going to be a stretch from part 3. The way Microsoft is ending this gen it makes me fear for the start of next gen. As I said before, lets hope they prove me wrong because they've proven me right for four years now. 343 is the brightest spot in all the Xbox has to offer and some of the employees used to work for Sony and EA. This is probably why Halo has taken such a dramatic shift in style.

I disagree. I  think its the best time. We have been watching MS make new studios for 2 years. We know and ave been told they are working on new IP's and game engines. The fact we didnt see anything the last E3 from any of the 4 new studios after some being formed 2 years ago screams they are concentrating on next generation.

This generation Microsoft didnt need to worry about loads of new IP's. Sony effectively made te first 3 years to easy for MS as they found their own form. This allowed MS quite a cheap generation as they could lure 3rd parties at a much lower cost than have there own studios create new games. Essentially this is why its taken till Gears 3, Forza 4/Horizon and Halo 4 to really show what tthe system is capable of.

The reason I am not responding as well to what you're saying (and its not your fault, trust me) is because Microsoft has had various attempts at using their studios to make projects and failed. They have more studios than Sony but Sony is still pumping out more and expanding the landscape for the way we play games by actually endorsing and publishing with indy companies that have vision. XBLA is cool but its a coverup for a lack of retail games and MS knows it. The profit is huge coming from the community Microsoft has built and they've grown complacent with it. As a creative entity they are complacent, but as a business they a bloody brilliant (which scares me for the "sanctity" of gaming in the eyes of gamers).  As many games as XBLA has had none are varied in experience of the top games on it can match the experience many have had with Flower, Journey, Dead Nation (which had far more depth an things to do than Deadlight) and I am sure Unfinished Swan will be next in line. Most of the games are multiplat anyway, so I think Microsoft should pay attention to what really matters to gamers. Again, lets hope next gen they fix this issue because new IP's or not they all die and all we're ever left with is Halo, one other game and a racing title. Last gen is was PGR, this time its forza. Fable you have to admit, sales aside, that company was creatively bankrupt and the destruction of the team from within in the failure to turn Fable into the game they bragged about hurts them but the consumers wallets. 

First Underline: So MS tried the Sony approach of blindly pumping out different games, realizing that was a money pit, and now adopts the big name exclusive approach, 3rd party buyouts for multiplat edge, and XBLA becomes the basis for creativity and variety in the 360 library. Sounds good to me.

2nd: Sounds like bad PR. "Expanding the landscape"? lol cmon. Sony has been no better then MS this gen in that regard. If anything they are worse because Move failed to capture any interest from core or casual gamers. MS partners with indie guys with vision, much more so.

3rd: Now I take serious issue with this. XBLA is MS biggest asset next to Halo. Just because 360 fans dont hype up to the heavens their amazing XBLA titles and PS3 fans hype the few great PSN games to the heavens, doesnt excuse this comment. Nevermind two of those games were made by a dev that recently went multiplat. Dead nation isnt even in the 80's on metacritic. Trials Evolution, Mark of The Ninja, Super Meat Boy, Geometry Wars 2.....all 90 meta games. High 80s you got Rez HD, Fez, Shadow Complex, Ikaruga.....I could go on and on and on. Lets not forget Minecraft, sold 4 million and counting, one of the most creative and influential indie games of our generation. Multiplat...yes. Not on PS3.....damn right it isnt. I aint buying the artsy approach your selling me about PSN.

You are well aware MS has opened new studios and continues to sign deals with indie devs for the next big XBLA titles. They also tend to get one big IP every gen. Xbox 1 had Halo, Xbox 360 got Gears, who knows what mega hit they will get this next gen? Either way, MS has done brialliant business and they are in a far better game maker position then they ever were. By comparison, Sony is the one learning the hard way, doing various cutbacks of dead weight developers they own.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

I hope they bring back Killer Instinct, that is a game that I really miss from rare. Banjo and Conker's would be amazing returns too.

I don't believe that a FPS game would be so great just because they made Goldeneye almost 20 years ago. Goldeneye was a revolution at this time, now there is already a lot of competition with several new things.